X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big Boom in Korea

Explosions caused mushroom cloud over N. Korea: source
    Last Updated Sun, 12 Sep 2004 00:14:58 EDT
    SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA - A mushroom-shaped cloud was seen in North Korea last Thursday following a large explosion, a South Korean news agency reported Sunday.

INDEPTH: North Korea

The explosion in Kim Hyong Jik county produced a crater large enough to be seen by a satellite, said the Yonhap news agency.

Kim Hyong Jik is reported to hold a major missile base.

The cloud measured 3.5 to 4 kilometres in diameter, an unidentified diplomatic source told Yonhap .

Last Thursday was the founding anniversary of North Korea and some officials believe the communist country may have used the day to conduct a nuclear-related test, but there's no indication that is so.

South Korea said Sunday it could not yet confirm the reports and a U.S. official said the situation was still unclear.

Written by CBC News Online staff

Accident? Test? What?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

OMG we nuked them!!!

Comment

Re: Big Boom in Korea

Accident? Test? What?
      PR move, probably.

"OUR WORDS ARE BACKED BY NUCLEAR WEAPONS!"
      "I read a book twice as fast as anybody else. First, I read the beginning, and then I read the ending, and then I start in the middle and read toward whatever end I like best." - Gracie Allen

Comment

No one really knows what the hell is going on in there any more, do we?

Either way, the USA has satellites all over the globe. If Kim Jong Il pops open a can of Pringles, we know about it, so I'm sure it's known and we just aren't telling anyone.
        meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Pretty certain that it's a test. Given the timing.

From earlier today:

WASHINGTON, Sept. 11 - President Bush and his top advisers have received intelligence reports in recent days describing a confusing series of actions by North Korea that some experts believe could indicate the country is preparing to conduct its first test explosion of a nuclear weapon, according to senior officials with access to the intelligence.

President Bush and his top advisers have received intelligence reports in recent days describing a confusing series of actions by North Korea that some experts believe could indicate the country is preparing to conduct its first test explosion of a nuclear weapon, according to senior officials with access to the intelligence. While the indications were viewed as serious enough to warrant a warning to the White House, American intelligence agencies appear divided about the significance of the new North Korean actions, much as they were about the evidence concerning Iraq's alleged weapons stockpiles.
          "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
          -Bokonon

Comment

Above ground test in a crowded country? The Beeb reported the site to be near the Chinese border. I wonder if China will be impressed.

BBC, News, BBC News, news online, world, uk, international, foreign, british, online, service

Big blast reported in North Korea

A big explosion rocked a northern province of North Korea near the border with China last week, South Korea's Yonhap new agency is reporting.
            The blast on Thursday was seen from a satellite, Yonhap quoted an unnamed source in Beijing as saying.

The cause has yet to be determined, the source said.

In April, an explosion at a railway station in North Korea killed more than 150 people - but Pyongyang only admitted the incident three days later.

Yonhap quoted a diplomatic source in Seoul as saying a mushroom cloud, with a radius of 3.5-4 kms (2.2-2.5 miles), was spotted in Kimhyungjik county in Yanggang province.

But Seoul's top negotiator with North Korea, Unification Minister Chung Dong-young, reportedly played down the possibility that it might have been a nuclear weapons' test.

He said South Korea was trying to get confirmation of the explosion and its effects, Yonhap reported.

The blast is said to have happened on 9 September, as North Korea marked the 56th anniversary of its founding.
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

No one really knows what the hell is going on in there any more, do we?

It's not like that such a test is particularly good news for this gov't, so I'm guessing that they probably aren't in that big a rush to advertise it.
              "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
              -Bokonon

Comment

**** Iraq, we should've gotten NK before it was too late.

EDIT: Although how long have they had this capability? They are just now testing it, but...

Comment

bada boom. big bada boom..

Hmhmhehe chicken multipass!
                  In da butt.
                  "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                  THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                  "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

I would think it would be difficult to hide the aftereffects of a nuclear blast, particularly an open air detonation.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Even the Soviets agreed that above ground nuclear tests were to damaging to the enviroment and stopped doing them in the late 1950's. I'm surprised the North Koreans couldn't find a mine shaft or something to put the bomb in before the blew it up.

Since they could see the crater from space it was likely a nuke test and not an accident.
                      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

I wonder, how big a bomb makes a 3.5-4 km diameter mushroom cloud?
                        -Bokonon

Comment

Originally posted by Ramo
                          I wonder, how big a bomb makes a 3.5-4 km diameter mushroom cloud?
                          Depends on how soon after the detonation the picture is taken. I doubt they have hydrogen bomb technology, and I don't think atomic weapons can get very powerful.
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Hmmm... apparantly SK's Unification Minister claims that it's unlikely that this was a nuclear weapons test:

-Bokonon

Comment

How is SK behavior explained? Is there an overwhelming desire to put unification over safety and well-being? Is the South government in league with the North?

Sorry if I sound like I'm trolling. I ain't. But it just seems ignert to be so careless in approach with Kim.

Comment

Working...
                              X