Is Clash history or simulation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Clash history or simulation

The original Civilization was created to be a game about the history of humanity-i.e. in the game you would build pyrimids and all that great stuff that acutally happend. But the problem with this is when you do those things it make the game inherintly hard to truly control because you won't be able to, say, build a huge cube instead of a pyrimid because you like that shape better. But an Egyption Pharoh could do this if he wanted to.
    There's another way some people view Civlization, as a simulation of what it would be like to be the ruler of a great civilization. In my opinion this idea is infinitly more interesting because it allows much more of a open ended game.
    Now idealy for the later idea you would have a huge dynamic world where ever part of your country's inerworkings could be controled by you and do things no one could ever imagine. That of course is imposible for many, many reasons. But there are definitly different direction where we could be taking this game. So which one is it, down the historical path, or down the open ended idea of a king simulation?

Logo:

Well, I agree with you that we would like to leave things as wide-open as practical. We will simply have to draw arbitrary lines either when things start getting too complicated to be fun, or start chewing up too much processor time. I think most of our discussion states this stuff fairly clearly. Where did you see statements that lead you to believe that we were locking things in too much along an historical perspective?
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

I'm not saying we are or we're not. I was just asking a blanket question about which direction are we aiming for. I don't see this really as much of an issue as I did last night, so don't worry about it. Just incase we are thinking of letting the player doing something that has nearly no historicle background yet would be possible then should we. This goes along the lines of things like should we have unit editors. Again I don't see this being as much of an issue as last night so really don't worry about it.

Comment

well, the way I kinda see it is this. We are creating a simulator in which all of current history can be simulated the way it did happen. However if you choose a different road, that can happen too.

-Harli

Comment

Working...
        X