X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Kerry the Braggart: Unfit For Command, Part 4

Previous thread:

Bob Dole on his recent criticism of John Kerry
    The former U.S. senator talks about the Swift Boat ads, being a proud Vietnam veteran, and what it's like to run for president

Former U.S. Senator Bob Dole spoke with MSNBC’s Joe Scarborough about John Kerry’s war record and the swift boat veterans ad controversy, in an interview scheduled to air on tonight’s “Scarborough Country” 10-11 p.m. ET.

advertisement

Dole tells Scarborough that Senator Kerry called Senator Dole after his statements on Sunday to tell him he was “disappointed.” Dole also says that he thinks Kerry should stop talking about what a “great veteran” he was, that he thinks the American people admire the “quiet heroes” and it pays to “not talk about yourself so much.”

Following is a partial transcript from tonight’s interview, which will telecast in its entirety on tonight on MSNBC.

JOE SCARBOROUGH, HOST: I want to ask, you’ve been through one of these presidential campaigns. You know what it’s like on the campaign trail. Are you surprised, as a guy who is a war hero, that John Kerry’s war record is playing such a central role in this presidential campaign this year?

DOLE: Well, I am a little surprised because I remember in ‘96, of course, Clinton didn’t have a record and the liberal media didn’t want to say much about my record. So it never really became—you know… I guess “The New York Times” may have said I was a veteran, that’s about as far as they went.

So this time you’ve got a candidate named John Kerry who had a good record in Vietnam, came back from the service, denounced the war, in effect, trashed the Americans who were still fighting there. Went before a Senate committee in April of 1971, threw away his ribbons or his medals or whatever and now is standing before the American people and saying you’ve got to elect me because I’m this Vietnam hero.

And it’s kind of hard to reconcile all of these things. So it does sort of bring up focus that I don’t think we’ve had in the past.

SCARBOROUGH: Do you think it’s important for a president to have a war record or to be a veteran?

DOLE: I don’t know. I was asked that in ‘96. You know, I said, “Well, I think I learned a lot obviously being in the service.” I think if I’m John Kerry, I’m proud of my service. Some days he’s proud, other days he’s denouncing his service. But I was proud of my service. I thought people were proud of my service.

But it’s a very fine line you walk when you’re standing before a crowd of 5,000 or 6,000 people to make a speech because out in that audience, there are going to be a lot of men and women and mother, father, whatever, who make not have served or may not know much about service in World War II, Korea, Vietnam.

And so you don’t want to go out there and say, you know: “Vote for me. I did this, this, this, this, this. I got all these medals. I got all these Purple Hearts.”

I think you can do it in a different way, John Kerry’s a friend of mine. I sent a signal about two or three months ago on television, “John, back off. You know, cool it. Don’t make the Vietnam War the centerpiece of your campaign.”

But he’s got a problem, because he spent 20 years in the Senate and doesn’t have much to show for it.

SCARBOROUGH: Well, you sent a signal a few months back, and then, of course, a couple days ago you had this to say about John Kerry. Let me read the quote:

“Three Purple Hearts and never bled, that I know of. They’re such superficial wounds. Three Purple Hearts and you’re out. I think Senator Kerry needs to talk about his Senate record, which is pretty thin. That’s probably why he’s talking bout his war record, which is pretty confused.”

Obviously, that’s a very strong statement. As a respected public figure, as a war hero yourself, that that statement was going to make news. What compelled you to make it?

DOLE: I don’t know. I’m not out trying to stir up a lot of trouble.

Wolf Blitzer is a friend of mine on CNN. He’d asked me three weeks in a row to come on the program. I ducked him. I finally said, “OK, I’ll go.” I knew what he wanted to ask me.

But this is after we’d had somebody called Vice President Cheney a coward. They’ve called Bush “a deserter” that he was AWOL, that he’s condoned torture, that he’s condoned poisoning of pregnant women. I mean, all these nasty, nasty, over-the-top attacks.

And they spent $65 million trying to defame President Bush. I told John Kerry on the telephone the next day. I said, “John, President Bush is my guy. And when I see all the people dumping on him, and all the misstatements and—and untruths, it kind of riles me up a little.” So maybe I expressed that on Sunday.

SCARBOROUGH: So you spoke with John Kerry. Did he call you, or did you call him?

DOLE: He called me the next day and said “I’m very disappointed.”

I said, “Well, John, I’m disappointed, too, in all these undeserved attacks on President Bush. If you want to question Dick Cheney’s deferment, that’s fine. If you want to question the National Guard, that’s fine. But John, these other guys, these swift boat veterans are a lot of them that have a different view of what happened than you have, and they have a right to speak. We live in the United States of America. It’s a free country. You may not like what they say, but they have a right to say it.”

SCARBOROUGH: And what did Senator Kerry say to you in response?

DOLE: He said, “I haven’t spent one dime in my campaign on a negative ad.”

Well, he doesn’t have to. He’s got George Soros, who put in $15 million. He’s got Harold Ickes up there cranking out millions of dollars of ads. He’s got his former campaign manager in Boston in another group called Bringing America Together.

President Bush to his credit, and I wish John Kerry would follow suit, said, “Let’s stop all these so-called 527 ads, all these soft money ads that have been so critical. Let’s talk about the issues.”

And the American people, they like to know that you’re a veteran, or not a veteran—you know, they actually don’t like some of the negatives and all this. But they also like to know what’s going to happen next year, not what happened 30 or 35 years ago.

SCARBOROUGH: You know, Senator, we’ve been talking for the past week now about the fact that Harold Ickes was holed up in the Four Seasons in Boston with Democratic fundraisers and John Kerry’s top contributors for an entire week during the Democratic National Convention.

And yet, nobody wrote about his 527 ad and the $20 million that he raised for ACT. Nobody talked about the fact that John Kerry’s former campaign manager is running this Media Fund, which also is spending millions and millions of dollars.

You ran for president. It’s easy for me to talk about media bias, but did you see media bias in 1996? And if so, how widespread is it?

DOLE: It’s widespread. I mean, you look at the number of stories written about or on the three big networks at night and “The New York Times,” “The L.A. Times,” “The Washington Post,” all the big newspapers. How many dozens of stories they’ve reported about George Bush and the National Guard, and now they had to rush to the defense of John Kerry.

“The New York Times” last Friday had a front-page story, trying to discredit all these other Vietnam veterans, some who’ve been wounded seriously, all of whom served honorably. And many were decorated. And they’re cast as a bunch of liars or paid off by the Bush people. And that’s the kind of coverage you would get from the so-called mainstream media.

President Bush is going to go out and rebut this, for the most part, with paid advertising. He doesn’t have “The New York Times” every day. if you added up the value of all “The New York Times” propaganda, it would probably be $3 or $4 million.

Watch the full interview on 'Scarborough Country,' Wednesday, 10 p.m. ET.
    No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Can I vote for Bob Dole to make this all go away?
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Sure, as a write in.

Comment

Kerry isn't in business with the Bin Ladens...
        But I guess some USers don't care who you make money with or who your financial backers are...
        There's nothing wrong with the dream, my friend, the problem lies with the dreamer.

Comment

We're on round 4 already? Oiy!
          "People sit in chairs!" - Bobby Baccalieri

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
            Sure, as a write in.
            Really?! I get to vote?! Yippeee!
            (\__/)
            (='.'=)
            (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

I say we start betting on how many more incarnations of this thread will reach 500 posts before November 2. Let's make it easier: How many threads total?

I say 10 total.
              The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Sparky
                Kerry isn't in business with the Bin Ladens...
                But I guess some USers don't care who you make money with or who your financial backers are...
                Apparently a lot of Canadians don't care how much is blatantly stolen from the federal treasury, or how many taxes the PM has dodged.
                (\__/)
                (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by DRoseDARs
                  I say we start betting on how many more incarnations of this thread will reach 500 posts before November 2. Let's make it easier: How many threads total?

I say 10 total.
                  3 quatloos on 20.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=)

Comment

I think a lot more would be accomplished if we could get you all tuned up on Canadian Constitutional history and law, and then have us a good discussion on the relative merits of Charlottetown vis-a-vis developments of monetary policy in Botswana.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Can I vote for Bob Dole to make this all go away?
                      The senator from ADM is running?

Dole is the Republican Robert Byrd...

Oh wait, did Ted Stevens wrench that award away from him?

Comment

Ogie -
                        No and I gave you the rationale to describe it as non definitive. That being, that to say you are in Cambodia and then immediately clarifying to say on the border. Thats a statement of proximity. Says volumes to me. What so difficult to understand?
                        I don't read it that way, it tells me O'Neill worked on the border and ventured into Cambodia on occasion. As for definitiveness, both men said they were in Cambodia. One now says he was never in Cambodia and accuses the other of lying. That's just bizarre to me...

OTOH contrast to Kerry who has defintively stated in Cambodia with intent to show illegality of action and then further claims of within Cambodia 5 miles deep.
                        What was O'Neill's motive for claiming to have been in Cambodia? We were in Cambodia, so wasn't that illegal?

You obviously missed the part where I was using this to provoke. Regardless, I believe the ruling would have to come down to establish exactly what is meant by "coordinating". One could easily construe interrogating 527's or a member once identified member as a means to negotiate a peace treaty if you will to call of the dogs as one needs to understand themotivations, hence coordination.
                        Kerry called to negotiate a peace treaty with these guys? Is there a transcript of the conversation? I got the impression Kerry asked the guy why he was doing this, that isn't coordinating. Coordinating means substantial assistance, not inquiries into motive.

Comment

Dole also says that he thinks Kerry should stop talking about what a “great veteran” he was, that he thinks the American people admire the “quiet heroes” and it pays to “not talk about yourself so much.”
                          Seems like a good idea, but it doesn't really work that way, does it? It's hardly the case that the general public will discover for themselves that you're a great guy if you're subtle and laid back about it. You have to be explicit about it.

(as a paranthesis I'd say that it's particulary true in the US. Having meet a couple of americans that have moved here, they do not understand how the way they talk about themselves is percieved in a culture boasting about yourself is a deadly, secular, sin.)

Comment

@berz

Boo. Hiss! Bob Dole would not approve.
                            (\__/)
                            (='.'=)

Comment

Originally posted by Berzerker

The senator from ADM is running?

Dole is the Republican Robert Byrd...

Oh wait, did Ted Stevens wrench that award away from him?
                              I don't think so.

Dole and Stevens are both war heroes, and were never in the Klan.

Comment

Working...
                              X