The Prisoner: A Poem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Prisoner: A Poem

Well, I was sitting in Earth Science class the other day, and I hate that class so I spend the vast majority of it writing poetry, attempting to recite poetry (I think I've got Coleridge's Kublai Khan memorized), doing poetic stuff.

I fully intend to write something to continue and eventually complete Deutschland Erwachte, I am still experimenting with directions to take it in though so I'm not sure what to do hence I do nothing. So I'll post this poem, which I think I did fairly well, if not for content then by the structure which I think is solid.

The Prisoner

A poem by SKILORD

An outlaw chained within a cage,
    His freedom he may seek,
    As his life turns from page to page
    Each flutter leaves him weak.

He calls himself a victim
    Of his culture and his nation;
    They’ve turned their backs upon him
    And the pages turning hasten.

The chains drop to the cold floor
    His body follows quick.
    The hardened man, his tears outpour
    His past does make him sick.

Could he undo it all, he would, without a single doubt
    But he should have thought of that, before there was no getting out.

Can there be a hope for one
    Whose sins the soul do shake
    What’s said is said, what’s done is done
    Though Earth and Heaven quake.

To Eden there is no return,
    For fallen, broken man.
    There is no salvation we can earn;
    We need a divine plan.

An angel is descending;
    Into the prison cell.
    To offer to its prisoner
    An escape from his hell.

The light is shining brightly
    The man his head does hold.
    He looks not up, nor lightly
    Does he his guest behold.

He begs now for deliverance,
    And forgiveness for his sins.
    The angel smiles upon this,
    And a question forms within.

“For what can you be forgiven?
    If the crime was not your fault
    If your fate was given
    By a culture who has bought
    Your soul, and all that is you,
    And holds it in its hand,
    Can it still remain true
    That you from sin could bend?”

The man, he smiles to hear it,
    Absolution from his sins,
    For if it was not his fault
    How can guilt remain within?

The angels head is shaking,
    A disapproving tone,
    The guilt he finds not waning
    He is not yet atoned.

“I have done these things,”
    He mutters, within his prison cell
    “And if salvation that brings,
    Deliver me from hell.”

The angels head is shaking
    Still nothing of the sort
    The prisoner is quaking
    He searches soul for words.

“What will you have me doing?
    For remission of these wrongs?
    I’ve done them; I’m confessing.
    Why can they not be gone?”

The angel’s mouth is open,
    A question for to pose
    “Is this the God you hope in?
    One who is to serve repose,
    Unless you come to make a plea
    And bid him for a favor,
    For heavenly immortality,
    Otherwise your sins you savor.”

The prisoner is on his knees,
    And looks upon the face
    He has not yet imagined
    That God was more than grace.

That, though He loves us dearly
    And though he does forgive
    Perhaps it is not merely
    For that purpose which He lives.

Perhaps we are not central
    To the universe He made,
    Perhaps He is more fundamental
    Than anything for which we’ve prayed.

Perhaps there could be something
    Bigger than prisoner or cage.
    And then, should God be serving
    Our hopes as our sins age?

And prisoner who kneels there
    Locked tight and on his floor,
    Prays finally, “Thy will be done,
    Now and evermore.

“Let me better serve You
    With the balance of my hour
    Place second my needs for it is true
    That over me You tower.”

The angel smiles to hear this,
    And parting words imparts,
    The prisoner is bleeding
    The sin from out his heart.

The angel did not forgive him,
    He realizes with a start,
    The only hope he has then
    Is that a Messiah’s done His part.

But little cares the prisoner,
    If from the walls he’s freed
    He wishes but to serve God,
    And that is all he’ll need.

Give us now our daily bread,
    And forgive us for our sins
    As we, likewise our grudges
    Clench to our hearts within.

Soli Gloria Deo,
    Soli Gloria Deo,
    Soli Gloria Deo,
    Amen.
    Last edited by SKILORD; August 26, 2004, 21:10.
    Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

SKILORD!! I do not know the praise or comfort you may have already gotten for this fine work! Or for the unfettered genius of your free feeling expression. I could go into a litany of reasons why a compliment from me, might be of merit or even a blessing, yet any heart even slightly open easily recognizes the fine spirit and strength of this most excellent poem!

I know not your age, however I pick up 'mystic' and see thoughtful insight with tenderness of soul in your penned words. These lines were easy to read, flowed with grace and betray unquenchable spirit behind and beneath each mantra (stanza). I salute you!

Many thanks,
    for so sharing...

I never meant to write poetry, gee I struggled through English every single year. I never found myself much reading it, until I found myself writing it. And then as last ditch, I promised as I first wrote, 'don't worry we just will not show it to anybody'. That was hundred thousand words of poetry ago...
    The Graveyard Keeper
    Of Creation Forum
    If I can't answer you don't worry
    I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Thanks.

To be honest that is the first bit of praise that this poem has earned, I think its posted on a handful of forums, but I just moved to college and all of the people I would usually show my poetry to remain back home and I haven't been here long enough to really get to know any people who would appreciate poetry to any degree.

But thanks for the kind words.

Soli Gloria Deo,

SKILORD
      Read Blessed be the Peacemakers | Read Political Freedom | Read Pax Germania: A Story of Redemption | Read Unrelated Matters | Read Stains of Blood and Ash | Read Ripper: A Glimpse into the Life of Gen. Jack Sterling | Read Deutschland Erwachte! | Read The Best Friend | Read A Mothers Day Poem | Read Deliver us From Evil | Read The Promised Land

Comment

Excellent

I would say everything Antrine has before me, though now that would not be very original.

SKILORD Ive wittnessed over these last couple of years a development taking shape!! in that as you have posted the odd poem here and there your style and skill has grown. I think you really should and do deserve a pat on the back for this work.

I dont know what your intended future path is, and at your age I suppose you may not be 100% sure yet yourself, but I half expect to see something written by your hand down my local bookstore sometime down the road of my life.

Its brilliant work and you should show it to as many people as possible, and lastly many thanks my friend for sharing this with this with me and this forum
        A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

BUMP

People you really should read this
          A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.

Comment

Well, it looks like Chrisus knows that the best way to make SKILORD show up is by pandering to his ego....

Comment

Bump

I've never liked poetry so I can't say I like this either. Sorry I have to be honest like this but that doesn't mean its not the best poetry ever posted on this thread cause I can't recognize the difference between poetry written by a master poet and that scribbled out by a 3rd grader who just learned how to rhyme. That said, I admit I've been a fan of Tori Amos since the first note I ever heard outuv her but she's in a class of her own so she cannot be denied.
              Here is an interesting scenario to check out. The Vietnam war is cool.

Comment

I've avoided this thread for a long time thinking it would suck. I finally opened it up 'cuz I figured it would at least be short.

Its really great though! I've read it a few time already and I'll probably return a few more. I'll be cruising this forum looking for your work now.

Again, terrific job and thanks.
                Last edited by 1889; September 21, 2004, 22:09.
                Do you believe in Evil? The Nefarious Mr. Butts
                The continuing saga of The Five Nations
                A seductress, an evil priest, a young woman and The Barbarian King

Comment

Thanks man, most of my work (if you're lookin for it) is in my sig.

Comment

Working...
                  X