Victoria vs EUII

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Victoria vs EUII

I have played EUII a lot but not Victoria.

So tell me from a EUII perspective is Victoria a better game?

If so why?
    *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Re: Victoria vs EUII

Originally posted by conmcb25

If so why?
    Not better, different. Victoria allows the player to control the certain aspects of empire management more directly. I've played plenty of Victoria, but only one complete game, so others may be able to give you better insight.
    "What did you learn in school today, dear little boy of mine?
    I learned our government must be strong. It's always right and never wrong,.....that's what I learned in school."
    --- Tom Paxton song ('63)

Comment

Vickie is a good game, but for me at least, it lacks some of the fell that made EU2 to a great game. But I know of many others that thinks it's metter than EU2, it just comes to whether you like a more complicated game, with much more micromanagement. And the time scale of course.
      Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
      I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
      Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

At first, when I discovered Victoria, I was overwhelmed with all the stuff there is to do. I also thought "micromanagement hell" immediately

However, once you're past the steep learning curve, it's definitely not so bad. There are many things that are automated, though they don't look like it at first. Much of the available info is not that useful, but can be accessed by diehard players.

I recommand you to learn the game by playing a "sandbox" nation, that'll allow you to industrialize in peace. Japan isn't bad if you can wait for the events that'll turn you into a "civilized" nation, and I heard Brazil is good too.
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Belgium or the netherlands are good nations for a newbie, i think. It starts you off in a war, but after that you can play in your sandbox all you like. Nations that start in a war are always the best for starters, actually. It's important to know how combat works right from the start, or you don't know what to prepare for.

Trial by fire.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Re: Victoria vs EUII

Originally posted by conmcb25

If so why?
            If you really liked EU2, chances are you´ll find Victoria slightly less appealing. I have played every Paradox game but still think EU2 and CK are their best. Vicky is quite innovative and will make for some good hours, but I cannot get the special feeling about it.
            It´s for example that machine parts thingie. You need that to build factories, and your supply is almost entirely limited to imports from UK. Now when you start your game, you will most likely never get any machine parts. That means you simply cannot industrialize.

There are ways around this restriction, but I would call most of them exploits (like the January 3rd sales).

Vicky is just too technical for most players, it feels more like a mathematical simulation than a real game. EU2 has a much larger fun part, IMO.

Though as others said, there are enough people with reversed opinions on the matter, so you´ll never know without testing the game. I wouldn´t recommend buying it at more than 25$, though.
            Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES
            Let me eat your yummy brain!
            "be like Micha!" - Cyclotron

Comment

Re: Re: Victoria vs EUII

Originally posted by Micha
              It´s for example that machine parts thingie. You need that to build factories, and your supply is almost entirely limited to imports from UK. Now when you start your game, you will most likely never get any machine parts. That means you simply cannot industrialize.
              You get the ability to build your own industrial parts with a mechanization technology. Each mechanization technology also gives you some parts, so that you are able to industrialze, but you can't have a huge early industrialization indeed, and must be very careful on how you spend your parts.

I think the reason why the UK produces industrial parts as soon as the game begins is to avoid the world's industrialization from being simply stopped, should the other industrial countries decide to use their free parts on other things than parts-producing factories.
              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

I'm not past the learning curve yet.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Victoria is, IMHO, probably the 'better' game - deeper, more thought put into it, more options, etc, but, as has been pointed out, it just doesn't quite have the same 'fun-factor' as EU2.

And that's after you get through the learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by ravagon
                    Victoria is, IMHO, probably the 'better' game - deeper, more thought put into it, more options, etc, but, as has been pointed out, it just doesn't quite have the same 'fun-factor' as EU2.

And that's after you get through the learning curve.
                    So Victoria is the better simulation, while EU2 is the better game

game noun; -s
                    - piece of fun
                    - diversion
                    Heinrich, King of Germany, Duke of Saxony in Cyclotron's amazing Holy Roman Empire NES

Comment

I think you've beaten Nikolai out of the monthly smartypants award!

Comment

Hehe, yay!

Comment

I now have an IBM copy of Vicky so I expect to explore that game a bit once I finish playing around with the Asian version of EU2.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Be prepared for a much more complex game then.
                            Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God.-Isaiah 41:10
                            I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalms 139.14a
                            Also active on WePlayCiv.

Comment

The problem is the 6 in 1 box didn't come with any manuals.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X