No announcement yet.

OFFICIAL 2004 CENSUS - Apolyton PBEM Forum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm tracking it for my own games in a simple xl-sheet.
    [IMG]D:\data\pictures\PBEM.jpg[/IMG]
    don't worry about things you have no influence on...

Comment

Sorry for the dalay in my report folks - had to do some serious back-tracking to get a compilation of my PBEM game. I (think) that I've remembered them all:

Silent Youth in Asia PBEM (6 Player) - Game died in place.

Growers PBEM (5 Player) - I lost.

AOD3 PBEM (6 Player) - Game died in place.

Apolyton Tourney #3 PBEM (4 Player) - Still ongoing.

Tiny but Deadly PBEM (5 Player) - I lost.

Random-Random PBEM (6 Player) - Still ongoing.

Napoleonic/2nd Coalition PBEM (6 Player) - Game died in place.

Strictly Conquests PBEM (6 Player) - Still ongoing...I think.

Meso PBEM (6 Player) - Still ongoing.

Randomizer PBEM (6 Player) - Still ongoing (but SLOWLY).

Grand Passage PBEM (6 Player) - Still ongoing.

Gunboat PBEM (6 Player) - Still ongoing.

YIA-2 PBEM (6 Player) - Still ongoing.

Discovery PBEM (6 Player) - Game died in place.

Kermit's PBEM (4 Player) - Game died in place.

Classics PBEM (6 Player) - Still on going.

Total PBEM games involved in: 16

Total PBEM games that have died (unfinished): 5

Total PBEM games that I have died (lost game): 2 HINT: consider these 2 games as "Completed"

Total PBEM games that are still going on (current active games): 9

Wittlich's Favorite PBEM Picks (so far):

1. Napoleonic/2nd Coalition PBEM (dead game)
      2. Meso PBEM (alive game)
      3. Apolyton Tourney #3 (alive game)

I think that that is all that Beta has requested from me. If I missed anything, sorry - I'm only human.
      Last edited by Wittlich; August 25, 2004, 16:45.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: OFFICIAL 2004 CENSUS - Apolyton PBEM Forum

Originally posted by Beta

What about Artificial Selection 1 and 2?

Quite right. They were new games that aren't yet imprinted onto my brain properly.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Beta
          And I want a chi squared analysis as well!
          I can do that if you'd like.
          Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
          Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
          7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by lmtoops
            I'm a Kolmogorov-Smirnov man, myself. Chi Square is too picky and can be manipulated.
            I work in politics. Your point?
            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Originally posted by Wittlich
              I think that that is all that Beta has requested from me. If I missed anything, sorry - I'm only human.
              You're much more than that. You are a Member of Apolyton.
              Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

What about me, I need some positive affirmation too!

Especially after my traumatic childhood were we were separated at birth and I had to be raised by wolves
                *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

I'll try to remember but I'ma bit unsure because of recently dead games. Hmmm, let's see . . .

Number of 2-4 player games you are involved in:

-Time of Peace (2 player with Paddy)
                  -Pheonix (2 player with Paddy)
                  -Islands in the Stream (many recent player changes)
                  -Frog Stomp (Paddy, Ricketyclik, Aqualung)
                  -Love Thy Neighbour (Same crew)
                  -Rusty Nail (Paddy, Beta, Chrisius Maximus)
                  -Empire (Paddy, Chrisius Maximus)
                  -Tundra (Paddy, LzPrst, j26)
                  -A Brave New World (err, can't remember but I know it's with some guys from Down Under)

Number of 5-8 player games you are involved in:

-The Sundowners
                  -Team Game
                  -Who's Crusade (Can't remember, keeps changing)

Number of PBEM games played to completion:

-Tiny But Deadly
                  -IronCiv A (I got knocked out but the game got finished)
                  -Blood on the Water (actually crashed because of a bug)
                  -My first PBEM. Can't remember the name but it was with Alva, GhengisFarb, and CerberusIV. What was its name??? Ah, found it way back in the archives. Hmm, it didn't have a name. The thread title was "PBEM with a Short Break in January" and I guess eventually became known as the Short Break PBEM.

List your top 3 favourite PBEM games:
                  Hard to say . . . . .
                  -Frog Stomp (writing a story about it)
                  -Love Thy Neighbour
                  -Pheonix

Frankly, any game where I get a turn a day and there is lots of interaction between players is fun.
                  Formerly known as Masuro.
                  The sun never sets on a PBEM game.

Comment

Holy cr*p, I had no idea this had gotten so active!!

Alright everybody, be nice to me... I have played exactly 1 one-on-one PBEM, with Nathan in AU... got my ass kicked.

But it was waaaaay fun, and engaging, so I am up for more, albeit as a newbie. ::runs and hides::

Guide me, noble Peers, where and with whom should I play?

ps: How does this forum interact with the "ladder" thing that F-P and others tout?

ps2: Was HappySunShine of Civ2-MP-fame (evidently ) correct? Does a Horsemen Rush trump everything?

ps3:

/me prays that F-P will take him in hand and guide him through these treacherous waters.!
                    Last edited by Theseus; August 26, 2004, 01:11.
                    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by sabrewolf

what seems more interesting to me is the average speed of turns, the average progress (what year), the distribution of 2, 3, 4, ..., 8-player games, the "death"-rate and when the games tend to die, who's responsible for the most deaths/lags, etc. (and of course the mental and physical health of paddy, eg. when does he sleep/eat between his 853 games )

maybe the next census will ask to more detail
                      Sounds great to me. If this one is a success (and it looks like it will be), then the NEXT one could do all this.
                      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                        ps: How does this forum interact with the "ladder" thing that F-P and others tout?
                        It doesn't really.

Although the MP guys got a lot of good strategies that if applied correctly are applicable to PBEM as well.
                        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Originally posted by sabrewolf
                          a bar chart may even be enough for the number of games.

what seems more interesting to me is the average speed of turns, the average progress (what year), the distribution of 2, 3, 4, ..., 8-player games, the "death"-rate and when the games tend to die, who's responsible for the most deaths/lags, etc. (and of course the mental and physical health of paddy, eg. when does he sleep/eat between his 853 games )

maybe the next census will ask to more detail
                          a liberal dose of Glen Morangie / Jack Daniels / Wild Turkey each day helps

and yes next time round we could go into some more detail...

good for keeping the stats mad amongst us smiling
                          Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                          I am of the Horde.

Comment

Oh and welcome to PBEM Theseus

Comment

"Welcome"... Good, bad, or my RL deathknell, who knows?? For those that know her name, Amy, my fiancee, is incredibly forebearing in terms of my Civ/crack addiction... but MP? This could be too much.
                              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                                Holy cr*p, I had no idea this had gotten so active!!

Alright everybody, be nice to me... I have played exactly 1 one-on-one PBEM, with Nathan in AU... got my ass kicked.

But it was waaaaay fun, and engaging, so I am up for more, albeit as a newbie. ::runs and hides::

Guide me, noble Peers, where and with whom should I play?
                                The best thing to do is start a thread that you'd like to play a PBEM game and ask who wants to play. Paddy the Scot will probably be one of the first to respond. I'd try to keep it to 5 or 6 maximum players as those tend to move faster.

Most of the games nowadays have some concept in place at the start (one of the conquests, the balderdash theme, etc.) but you don't have to do that. You can have everyone that is a part of the game decide on the map settings, etc. Then you can either have someone set up the first turn (or do it yourself as it's not difficult) or request someone make a map for you which is often a good idea so you don't get random maps where your capital is 4 tiles from an opponent's capital and your on a peninsula (that is one of the things I'm dealing with in a current PBEM )

And like con said, "Welcome to PBEM Theseus"

Comment

Working...
                                X