java

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• java

if i bought java programming for dummies and read it a few times think i could help on some menial tasks? I have programming experience just not java (and wouldnt it be ok if I had Visual J++? that should still be ok right?). If you dont need help fine, I'm just trying to find ways to help :P

------------------
    -=Illmuri=-
    -=Illmuri=-

Illmuri:

Sounds great to me , we're short on coders right now, so I'll definitely take you up on the offer. J++ should work fine. Why don't you get your feet wet with java, and also look around to see what part of Clash you'd like to help to code. From my recollection we don't have anyone signed up yet to code the government, tech, or diplomacy models. But figure what you're Really interested in and we'll take it from there. I can send you the current Clash source whenever you're ready for it, which is mostly my old version with some new military alpha1 stuff thrown in. Just let me know when you want it. Also, please let me know what kinda coding you prefer to do, model guts, interface, grafix... and what particular area you're interested in.

-Mark

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited August 14, 1999).]
    Project Lead for The Clash of Civilizations
    A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).
    Check it out at the Clash Web Site and Forum right here at Apolyton!

Comment

I too would like to help and have non-java programming experiance. I am wondering what kind of compiliar i would need.
      "I would perfer not to"
      -Bartleby
      "Bartleby" by Herman Melville

Comment

Mark:
        Thanks. Personally I would like to work on the diplomacy and tech models. I really dislike interface. I will be getting some books from the library tomorrow and hope to start as soon as possible. If you want to contact me my e-mail is jacobo010@hotmail.com
        "I would perfer not to"
        -Bartleby

Comment

by the way which version of sdk should i get?
          "I would perfer not to"
          -Bartleby

Comment

Great . Well, pick whichever model of the two you want to start on, and we'll try to push it along in readiness. They will both have their programming complications, just depends what kind of stuff you prefer doing.

On Java versions:
            I am still using Ver. 1.1.8. Primarily because my IDE doesn't yet completely support 1.2.x. We will soon, as a project, be going to 1.2.x Since you are learning, its probably best for you to start with Ver. 1.2.latest. That way you won't have to un-learn some things.

[This message has been edited by Mark_Everson (edited August 15, 1999).]
            A Unique civ-like game that will feature low micromanagement, great AI, and a Detailed Government model including internal power struggles. Demo 8 available Now! (go to D8 thread at top of forum).

Comment

Jacobo:

you can get the most recent version of the Java developer's kit (SDK,don't ask me what the S. stands for ) for free from Here. This kit is very functional, but you will need to code in a text editor. The more advanced integrated development environment I'm familiar with is Symantec Visual Cafe. It makes it much easier to code and learn the language IMO, but the cheapest version is something approaching $100. I think you can download an old demo version for free, but am not certain. J++ is also supposed to be good. I think its priced comparably with visual cafe.

Hope that helps. The same comments I made above apply to you too.

-Mark

Comment

Mark
                if i am going to code the diplomacy model (as i would like to) should i get the description of the diplomacy model from this forum or wait for something from you?
                "I would perfer not to"
                -Bartleby

Comment

Jacobo:

I think you can just go ahead with the model as outlined. Obviously you'll have to fill in Many details. I'd suggest that when you come up with a basic mechanism for handling something important, you post it in the diplomacy thread and see what people say. For now, just use a lot of constants instead of numbers, so we can change them easily. Eventually, most hard numbers will go in an initialization text file so people can play with them.

I will send you the Clash source code, which has some first steps toward a diplomacy model already in it.

Thanks for taking this on

Comment

Because of school I havent been able to be as active on this board. I am working on Java and I was wondering if anyone was working on tech. If so, what else do you need work on? I should be able to start soon. I will be able to check in every weekend (weekdays im busy w/ marching band).
                    -=Illmuri=-

Comment

Illmuri:

Sold! Thanks for committing to tech, it should be fun Basically, the same stuff I said to jacobo two posts above applies. Hrafnkell / Keli is working on a more final version of it now. Why don't you give what is already up on the forum a fine going over and see if you understand the basics of where we're headed. And, of course, criticize it if you think there's anything that won't work, or needs modification. We'll all join in on making suggestions when Keli posts the new version.

And of course, when you get into coding, give us a heads-up when you run into a coding problem, or unforeseen issue in the model. Those are Sure to come up.

Thanks for doing tech, I'll update the Duke list accordingly.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                      X