Is ambition a virtue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is ambition a virtue?

I've been wanting to start a thread on this for some time. I can see why people would want to be ambitious, to strive for a better job, bigger house, and all that, but where does it get you? What good is it to work so hard for these things and then be unable to enjoy them? Wouldn't it be better to take a step back and give up some of these things to enjoy these pleasures while you can?

I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks.
    Yes
    35.90%
    No
    25.64%
    I prefer a more nuanced position
    30.77%
    Bananas are all I need.
    7.69%
    Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
    "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
    2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

No, ambition is stupid.
    Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Depends. A healthy amount of ambition is a good thing. Unchecked ambition that makes you do things that are morally wrong in your quest for success is not.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Is purple a fruit?

Comment

yes! but I don't possess it

Comment

Re: Is ambition a virtue?

Originally posted by Ben Kenobi
            I've been wanting to start a thread on this for some time. I can see why people would want to be ambitious, to strive for a better job, bigger house, and all that, but where does it get you? What good is it to work so hard for these things and then be unable to enjoy them? Wouldn't it be better to take a step back and give up some of these things to enjoy these pleasures while you can?

I'm curious as to what everyone else thinks.
            it seems useless in the modern age because of stress and all that. But Would we have all the inventions we have today without ambition? electricity, automobiles, indoor plumbing.

ambition

Comment

A healthy amount of ambition is a good thing.
              So what do you consider a healthy amount of ambition?
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

Would we have all the inventions we have today without ambition? electricity, automobiles, indoor plumbing.
                Can you name the inventors of these? Seems to me most of these folks did these things not for personal glory, but for the betterment of others. Can this really be seen as ambitious, if you don't take the credit for the work?

Comment

trust me, they did it for personal glory.

Comment

Yes! Ambition is healthy and helps one strive for a better life.

The only point where it becomes unhealthy is when it is as strong as to make you do morally wrong things.
                    meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

or severely ruin your health (although some risk of health is sometimes needed for certain professions as in astronauts and such)

Comment

Why exist if you don't want to be the best at everything? I accept that I fall short in areas, but I'm young, and I expect to improve. Maybe I won't get to the top. Pretty likely. But why not try? Why live a life where you're continually mailing it in? Luckily I'm in a profession (law) that rewards excellence, so the harder I work the better I am. If I had an Office Space job, then I can see not giving a rat's ass about anything.

Ambition does need to be checked, an out of control ego is dangerous. A little moral backbone and perspective and you'll be ok.

Comment

Ambition = going after the goals you have set yourself. This is generally good. The goals you set for yourself are where potential problems lay, though.

If you measure your success by money alone, then you will most likely end up rich. Unhappy, but rich.
                          I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Originally posted by Skanky Burns
                            Ambition = going after the goals you have set yourself. This is generally good. The goals you set for yourself are where potential problems lay, though.

If you measure your success by money alone, then you will most likely end up rich. Unhappy, but rich.

Comment

There are different types of ambition. I have no respect for an artist without any ambition at all.
                              "mono has crazy flow and can rhyme words that shouldn't, like Eminem"
                              Drake Tungsten
                              "get contacts, get a haircut, get better clothes, and lose some weight"
                              Albert Speer

Comment

Working...
                              X