Gaming Cliches

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming Cliches

It's been a while since we've had one of these.

It's thread to list those game cliches you love to hate.

Here's mine:

Exploding barrels. I mentioned these in the last cliche thread; but damn it, they really do suck. Seems like every action game, and even a good portion of strategy games have exploding things (90% of the time barrels) oh so conveniently placed so as to help the player. It really helps to destroy immersion when the enemies have 'barricaded' themselves behind bright-red containers of highly flammable fuel.

Air vents. When was the last time you played an FPS without air vents? Obviously with convieniently weakened grills connecting two key rooms. And some indestructable grills within the air vents to give the appearance of an actual extensive air vent system. I'm sure we all felt a thrill the first time we went into an air vent - but the thrill becomes somewhat less when you realise that "air vent = corridor without enemies that enemies can't get into."

Sewers. Every game has to have sewers. Seriously. Try to think of an action game that doesn't have sewers. It's quite difficult, isn't it? In the real world, sewers are undergound pipe systems that take effluent out of our homes and places of business. You certainly wouldn't want to hang about in them due to the overwhelming stench, pitch blackness and claustrophobic lack of space.

In the game world it's the exact opposite. Sewers are gigantic cathedral-like vaults - often more impressive than the city above. Within the sewers there are often secret labs, religious cults, military bases, gigantic waterfalls, lost cities, alien outposts, portals to the underworld; you name it, it's there. Hell, the sewer is often the best place to meet people. And of course, only the very choicest items can be found there.

In real life, you'd be stupid to go into a sewer. In games, you'd be stupid not to. They might as well put a big sign saying 'COOL STUFF DOWN HERE' next to the manhole or whatever.

Anyone else got any cliches which they'd like to share?

My friends and I sometimes played in the sewer when we were really little.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Did you find any good items?

Comment

in the earlier days... all explosives = armor piercing weapons. like even frag grenades.... I always thought that was odd. but these days they seem to be better at making that distinction.
        :-p

Comment

Well there were these cool barrels that exploded if you kicked them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman
            Did you find any good items?
            No, just an ogre mage with a group of carrion crawlers.
            "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
            "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
            "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
            "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

Got a nice cloak there once...

/me polymorphs into a very attractive rat*

-jam
              1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
              That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
              Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
              Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Boxes of weapons, ammo, food, tools, you name it, just lying around. Or even more ludicrous, the ability to instantly recover from near-fatal wounds by picking up a box.
                Visit First Cultural Industries
                There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Cliches related to the FPS scene, eh?

Genetically modified mutants.

Comment

Oh, people living in networks of caves lined with traps and lockec doors. I mean HOW DO THEY EVEN GO SHOPPING?

-Jam
                    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Tribes doesnt have any of that crap.Everything that can explode and blow you up also has a dual use for other then blowing up clusters of newly spawned people around an inventory

Comment

Also golden eye has a nice twist to the exploding barrels barricade. In the silo level you are taking cover behind them at one point, and if you aren't careful you die.

Comment

exactly.

If there is a use for exploding barrells, it should be to hamper the player- not the AI. They should be located at the entrance to a room. Soon as the AI sees you appear there- bam- you are toast

Comment

there are too many to list.

healing potions: how is it they mend wounds exactly? magic I guess. magic is too convenient a plot device or in this case a game device to improve gameplay.

Respawn. It seems lame. You die, you die.

Orcs

humans

weak magic user classes. I want a magic use who can bash down doors and shoot off fireballs dammit! I don't want any weaknesses. And I'm not talking about a fighter/mage. Who cares about game balance

Comment

Just grabbing ammo by walking over it. You should have to frigging pick it up.

Carrying tons of guns/items. I mean, really?

Comment

Working...
                              X