Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ECON SE settings not what they appear to be...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECON SE settings not what they appear to be...

I was playing as Morgan with a modified Alpha.txt where demo gave +1 ECON, and I noticed something strange. When I hit +5 ECON, the amount of energy or labs didn't change from +4 ECON. I furthermore noticed that my amount of energy I was getting in each base when I had +4 ECON was more indicative of +5 ECON. And then I tried +3 ECON, and saw that the +4 ECON settings were being applied. Here's what I mean:

With +3 ECON, I should be getting +1 energy to each square (in addition to the +1 commerce). However, my bases were all getting +2 energy to the base square, which is what should happen with +4 ECON. Then, under +4 ECON, my bases were getting +4 energy to the base square, which is what should happen with +5 ECON. Then, with +5 ECON, there was no change. So this is what I think happened:

Firaxis hardcoded the ECON settings incorrectly, so that +3 ECON gets you what +4 ECON should get you, +4 ECON gets you what +5 ECON should get you, and thus, +4 ECON is the highest you can get. Haven't you ever wondered how you could have 7 energy in the base square under +4 ECON? It's because the +5 ECON settings are actually being applied.

This is why an FM/wealth Morgan is so strong - he's really getting +5 ECON.
    Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

The manual and the datalinks do appear to be a little off on this one... I've seen it, too. Did you check if your commerce improved with +5 Econ? And with your alphax.txt, if you induce a golden age to get +6 Econ, what happens?
    "Give to Caesar what is Caesar's? Pay no attention to Caesar. He doesn't have a clue what's really going on." -Cat's Cradle

Comment

But Loki seems to have fixed it....in the Linux port of SMAX/SMAC...
      Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
      The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
      Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
      We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

No, commerce didn't improve either. Haven't tried +6 ECON, although when, in reality, would that ever come up? Morgan running FM/wealth/eudaimonic?
        Civ IV is digital crack. If you are a college student in the middle of the semester, don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. I'm serious.

Comment

Zeiter, I did some extensive testing some time ago on the impacts of Economy rating (though, I cannot locate the thread anymore).

I just did a second test and here are my findings:

-2, -1, 0, +1 and +2 Economy correspond to the bonus/penalty information in the game (I did not test -3 Economy). Note that a +2 Economy rating gives +1 energy at EACH square, this includes the base square.

+3 Economy gives +1 energy at each square, +2 energy at the base square and +1 commerce rating. Note that the base square gets a total of +3 energy.

+4 Economy gives +1 energy at each square, +4 energy at the base square and +2 commerce rating. Note that the base square gets a total of +5 energy.

+5 Economy gives +1 energy at each square, +4 energy at the base square and +3 commerce rating. Note that the base square gets a total of +5 energy.

Any value above +5 Economy equals +5 Economy. Hence, no additional bonus is received by having a +6 (or higher) Economy rating.

It is also worth noticing that the Planetary Governor receives an additional +1 energy at each base square and +1 commerce rating.

I'd be interested if anyone can verify these findings.

Comment

Ah, thanks Rubin. That seems exactly like how I've seen it behave. So the info in the manual and the datalinks is false, then. Or at least slightly off.

So really, there isn't a whole lot of different between +4 and +5 ECON, unless you have a bunch of pactmates spewing energy into your bases. This explains alot. Thanks.

Comment

Rubin, is right and now I know why governor gives so much energy - I once calculated exactly how much more commerce I'd get if I was elected, but when it happened, seemed that I'm getting even more
              And I didn't bother checking all those "8+ energy" bases..
              -- What history has taught us is that people do not learn from history.
              -- Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.

Comment

Working...
              X