Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

English! English! When did America stop speaking English?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Azazel
    As a well-assimilated immigrant, I must say that the demands by Tiamat, and ADG are certainly fair, in the sense that people should try and assimilate, however, the locals should make assimilation easier, and giving **** to them over not succeeding.

The important thing is that they try.

How about if all (legal) immigrants to the US who dont speak English were provided with the equivalent of an Ulpan - a period when the govt pays their upkeep while they learn English intensively full time?? I think in that case the aversion to social programs and "handouts" would overcome the cultural nationalism. Unfortunately, IMHO.

ALterntively how about if English language knowledge were part of a set of criteria in determining admission of (legal) immigrants. Though this would have the effect of favoring West Indians, and some East Indians, over Hispanics and others, and would likely be very controversial.
    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Re: English! English! When did America stop speaking English?

[QUOTE] Originally posted by Tiamat

Go to the grocery store and every label now is in spanish and english. You call places and get the automated system and you are asked for English press one for spanish press two. When did English even become an option?
      [QUOTE]

What's horrendous about this? As long as both languages are displayed I don't see what the fuss is.

But yes, I understand what you're saying when it comes to people who carry out services who do not know ANY English.
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Azazel
        The important thing is that they try.
        Yep... I know one from school... he's not good at english, but at least he tries... but his wife doesn't

And as I said, the rule should apply to all immigrants... if the wife can't, the wife is forced to leave... I don't see why only one member of the family should speak the local language...
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Re: English! English! When did America stop speaking English?

Originally posted by Tiamat
          To which I asked him why when I live in America where everyone is supposed to speak English
          Here's the problem. You think everyone's supposed to speak English. Nope, not the case. In the U.S., we have this thing called the 1st Amendment. I know they don't teach y'all much about the Bill of Rights in the South, but it says that people have the right to free speech.

Also, you might consider the fact that you live in occupied Mexico, which is a Spanish speaking country.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio

Usually we (me and my friends) orders 3 pizzas, so the call goes like this:

We'd like to order 3 pizzas... on the first pizza the following ingridients should be on blah blah bla... on the second pizza blah blah blah... and the last pizza blah blah blah
            The response: Ok, and what would you like on the second pizza, thereby indicating that everything should be put on the first pizza (not even wondering why we would have 3 times pepperoni on the first pizza )
            That's why you order pizza like this; "one Hawaii, one Quattro Staggioni, one Margherita".

(I sure I misspelt them, but no non-danophone mid-easterner can hear that on the phone. )
            Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
            The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I live in Tennessee and I never learned to speak Cherokee...
              "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Re: Re: English! English! When did America stop speaking English?

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Here's the problem. You think everyone's supposed to speak English. Nope, not the case. In the U.S., we have this thing called the 1st Amendment. I know they don't teach y'all much about the Bill of Rights in the South, but it says that people have the right to free speech.

Also, you might consider the fact that you live in occupied Mexico, which is a Spanish speaking country.
                I dont think shes saying people should only be allowed to speak english in private conversations, but that there should be standards relative to commercially provided services. Do you consider labor legislation, or laws against the segregation of public accomodations like restaurants, a violation of your right to freely associate?
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

its funny, because i live in socal about 30 - 33 weeks a year, and i have no problem being understood in english wherever i go. i wonder why mexicans speak english there, but dont seem to do it in texas.
                  "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                    That's why you order pizza like this; "one Hawaii, one Quattro Staggioni, one Margherita".
                    Easier said than done... they don't have any good standard pizzas, so it always ends up like one pepperoni with chili

I even order online, so they have it in writing like this:

one pepperoni include: chili
                    one hawaii include somethingElse

But even that they fail

Comment

Some years ago I read an article about some Mexican immigrants in USA (who have lived there a long time), who complained about these new Mexican immigrants...

Comment

Re: Re: English! English! When did America stop speaking English?

[QUOTE] Originally posted by MrFun
                        [QUOTE] Originally posted by Tiamat

Go to the grocery store and every label now is in spanish and english.

What's horrendous about this? As long as both languages are displayed I don't see what the fuss is.

well first of all, theyd better not ship this stuff to Canada, cause its not properly labeled

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                          its funny, because i live in socal about 30 - 33 weeks a year, and i have no problem being understood in english wherever i go. i wonder why mexicans speak english there, but dont seem to do it in texas.

they need to talk to the Asians?

Comment

Yep... I know one from school... he's not good at english, but at least he tries... but his wife doesn't

And as I said, the rule should apply to all immigrants... if the wife can't, the wife is forced to leave... I don't see why only one member of the family should speak the local language...

This is a different issue, the social structure of the immigrants. That is indeed a very severe problem. Sometimes, though, immigrants can benefit a society as well. However, in such clearcut cases as the case of ME immigrants into europe, I think that concrete measures must be put inplace.

( btw, when I say concrete, I don't necessarily mean a wall. )
                            urgh.NSFW

Comment

If enough customers complain (or cease using a service provider) due lack of service in English then employers will take note. Its not a government issue particularly*, its economics.

* Although, if it leads to economic and social segregation of communities it is.
                              One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: English! English! When did America stop speaking English?

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                                Do you consider labor legislation, or laws against the segregation of public accomodations like restaurants, a violation of your right to freely associate?
                                Are you advocating a law requiring the ability to speak English as a term of employment?

Anyway, Texas has always had large areas of Spanish speaking people. There are many villages there that are Spanish only, from before the time the Texans stole the land from Mexico. I don't think it's unreasonable to think that the Texan natives be allowed to speak their own lanugage, just because they're overwhelmed by Anglo-immigrants.
                                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Working...
                                X