Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

English! English! When did America stop speaking English?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Re: English! English! When did America stop speaking English?

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Here's the problem. You think everyone's supposed to speak English. Nope, not the case. In the U.S., we have this thing called the 1st Amendment. I know they don't teach y'all much about the Bill of Rights in the South, but it says that people have the right to free speech.

Also, you might consider the fact that you live in occupied Mexico, which is a Spanish speaking country.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: English! English! When did America stop speaking English?

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Are you advocating a law requiring the ability to speak English as a term of employment?

no, im not, but I doubt such a law would be a violation of the 1st amendment right to freedom of speech.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Not that it's any concern, but most of the CFRs (Code of Federal Regulations) that I have read require communication and records to be in English ONLY. This applies to government and government regulated industries only however. Thus, in some since, America does have an un-"official" language.
        Monkey!!!

Comment

Generally, shouldn't it be a general job requirement? It isn't the law, but its a general thing to do good business. It drives customers away.
          Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
          The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
          Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
          We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Originally posted by Natalinasmpf
            Generally, shouldn't it be a general job requirement? It isn't the law, but its a general thing to do good business. It drives customers away.
            If youre running a business where the strategy is based on minimum wage labor, and you cant get minimum wage labor if you impose that requirement .....
            "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

It shouldn't definately be a job requirement. Especially when the job involves customer service.
              CSPA

Comment

Originally posted by Gangerolf
                It shouldn't definately be a job requirement. Especially when the job involves customer service.
                Comes down to demand - would you pay 20% more to have an English speaker serve you? If you're at a cheap place, expect dheap service.
                One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                  OTOH, arent govt documents required to ALSO be in English, even in a place where where EVERYONE speaks the second language the documents are in? Arent all INTERNAL govt documents in English? Isnt knowledge of English a universal requirement for government employment? I would think in this sense English IS the official language (im replying to BG as well here)
                  Yes, all government documents must be in English- though of course, there is no locality in our county in which say less than 20% of the pop speaks english, unless you get to a very small level, like individual neighborhoods. So that "% of pop rule holds for English everywhere.

Yes, English as our common language is mandated by the government- BUt that is not say it is the official language. Though you can pass laws for example requiring all signs for businesses to include english, as they have done in NYC. Does not mean everyone does it though (certain sections of Chinatown, you barely see any signs in English sometimes)
                  If you don't like reality, change it! me
                  "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                  "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                  "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Well I guess I could just point at the menu...
                    CSPA

Comment

Long live the Spanish Reconquista!
                      Contraria sunt Complementa. -- Niels Bohr
                      Mods: SMAniaC (SMAC) & Planetfall (Civ4)

Comment

So, what if I have nerve stapled citizens to work for me? Sure, they're so submissive, they don't even collect their wages, but do I want the 50% production penalty?
                        Arise ye starvelings from your slumbers; arise ye prisoners of want
                        The reason for revolt now thunders; and at last ends the age of "can't"
                        Away with all your superstitions -servile masses, arise, arise!
                        We'll change forthwith the old conditions And spurn the dust to win the prize

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Yes, all government documents must be in English- though of course, there is no locality in our county in which say less than 20% of the pop speaks english, unless you get to a very small level, like individual neighborhoods. So that "% of pop rule holds for English everywhere.
                          But there are probably at some areas where at least 80% of the population DOES speak Spanish, so if English were treated the way Spanish is, English would not be required.

IIUC, Spanish (or other languages) is only required in areas where a certain percentage of the population speaks a language other than English and DOES NOT speak English. Am I incorrect?

Comment

Originally posted by GePap

Yes, English as our common language is mandated by the government- BUt that is not say it is the official language. Though you can pass laws for example requiring all signs for businesses to include english, as they have done in NYC. Does not mean everyone does it though (certain sections of Chinatown, you barely see any signs in English sometimes)
                            I rather suspect there are quite a number of laws that arent particularly followed in Chinatown, from gambling to minimum wage laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiamat
                              Oh give me a break Boris Get real. While there may not be a law per say on the books
                              You mean, "per se?"

that says we speak English here what kind of a freeking moron do you have to be to think that you wouldn't have to speak the one common language that we speak over here?
                              The "freaking" moron would be correct, as nobody has to speak English. As che noted, we have the Constitution to consider, and people can speak whatever damned language they choose.

If you don't like people speaking in Spanish, then don't speak to them. If you don't like employers hiring people who don't speak English well, complain to the companies or stop patronizing them. But please stop the nonsense that people are obligated to speak English in the U.S., because that's simply not the case.
                              Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Official language
                                English as the official language
                                People who move to America, legally or illegally, and don't learn English

If I travel to, say, France, I would learn at least enough French to get around. If I moved to France with the intention and working and living there, I would certainly take the time to learn the language.
                                Last edited by Verto; August 3, 2004, 14:05.

Comment

Working...
                                X