Rome : Total War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rome : Total War

Are you guys as exited about this upcoming title as I am? If theres one game I must have, this is it.

quote from the website:
    Over 10,000 fully polygonal, motion captured men can be displayed simultaneously with virtually no sacrifice of performance compared to Medieval: Total War.

W00t? And will this fully 3-D game run with my Geforce 4200 64 mb Go too. No 512 mb graphics cards here...

Quote:
    Rome: Total War also allows up to 8 players to fight epic battles over a LAN or the internet.

:drool:
    Attached Files
    green
    70.00%
    red
    0.00%
    banana
    30.00%
    Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Very excited.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Yup.

Comment

idd drool, but now I come to think of it.. my athlonXP 2100+ and geforce4 ti4200 won't be able to run that I'm afraid
        "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
        "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Trajanus
          idd drool, but now I come to think of it.. my athlonXP 2100+ and geforce4 ti4200 won't be able to run that I'm afraid
          Why do you think that?
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I'm hoping they improve the strategy map side or simplify it and get rid of features that didn't really add anything to the game.

Comment

Theres a demo coming soon, I think. Also the game itself was said to be released in september.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Originally posted by Standup
                I'm hoping they improve the strategy map side or simplify it and get rid of features that didn't really add anything to the game.
                What features do you mean? AFAIK all maps are going to be fully zoomable 3-D landscapes, havent played STW or MTW though.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Drooling all over my keyboard every time I read about this game.

What features do you mean? AFAIK all maps are going to be fully zoomable 3-D landscapes, havent played STW or MTW though.
                  Yes, the 'strategy map' sounds possibly even more exciting than the tactical graphics...

Trajanus,
                  I think with your system you should be fine. I'm a bit worried about my own mx440 though

One of the reasons for cancelling my vacation this year was actually so that I might have the money to upgrade my system when this game is released
                  Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

Yup, can't wait for this one..ever since I saw it on the Beeb..
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

And suppposedly the graphics are like 100 times better than what we saw on the Beeb

Comment

Cancelled your vacation? You win

- Paul Valery

Comment

Well, RTW wasn't the only reason For one thing, I was planning to go to Eastern Europe (Poland, Czech Rep, Slovakia, Romania -- yes, where all the flooding is now).

But of course, when I say that it doesn't sound nearly as impressive

Comment

To those interested; from RTW forums,quote from the official faq:

Q. So is this an RTS. Is there still a turn based campaign map? Has it really evolved much from Medieval: Total War?

A. Total War games are in genre of their own. If you love strategy games, you will love RTW, but this isn't an RTS, it's much, much more. You can tailor how you play the game to appeal more to your tastes. If you want a perfect balance of politics, micro management and real time epic sized battles you've got it. If you want to spend more time in the senate than on blood stained battle field you've got it. If you want to prove your might purely on how you master the art of war then you've got it.

The biggest change you'll notice is on the campaign map. The 'Risk-style' provinces have disappeared to be replaced by point-to-point movement for armies, and settlements with their own regions (hinterlands) that they draw on depending on the size of the settlement. A big, advanced city will have more influence on its surrounds than a small town. Armies and characters on this map are now fully animated and march (or sneak, in the case of spies!) to fulfil your orders.

Cities generate income and train new troops, drawing on local resources. Each city can be assigned a governor, who will do his best (well, probably) to manage the place and keep order.

What is cool and new is that when you fight a battle to control the city, every building that's in a city on the campaign map is there on the battlefield. Destroy a building in a siege, and it's gone on the campaign map. Storm a city and take it with siege towers, batterings rams or artillery and you'll find that you can use any buildings still standing to further your plans of conquest. Better still, the buildings in a town even show who made them, as each culture has its own style of architecture!

Q. Are maps fully dynamic i.e. what happens on the battle map has a physical effect on the strategy map and vis versa?

A. Rome: Total War features a continuous 3D map covering the whole of Europe, North Africa and the Middle East, and any point on this map could be a battlefield. The Campaign map is comprised of thousands of 'battle maps'. This means that you could fight on approximately 10,000 battlefields, each of which can change according to your actions in the game.

Every mountain, hill, forest, farm, volcano, city and Wonder of the World that you see on the campaign map is right there on a battlefield. As the map changes with roads, forts and farms being built it is reflected on the relevant battlefields. As the seasons change you see snow on the north of the campaign map and on northern battlefields. This continuity between the two levels of the game opens up all sorts of strategic options. You can build forts to guard mountain passes, set ambushes in forests, make beach landings, launch fast raids into enemy territory, move your armies through allied territory to co-ordinate campaigns, capture Wonders of the World, ford rivers and generally try to out-manoeuvre your enemies. It all helps to make you feel like you are in one epic, continuous world.

MORE: http://p223.ezboard.com/fshoguntotal...cID=2341.topic

- Paul Valery

Comment

good god that sounds awesome

Comment

Working...
                              X