Superpower

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superpower

I haven't seen anyone mention this game around here, and was wondering what the Apolyton Community's thoughts on it were. Also, thoughts on the sequel set to release in October.

Superpower2 Homepage
    Superpower forums
    Gamespot Preview

Most people here have said it's absolutely horrible...good idea but bad implemention.
    "Yay Apoc!!!!!!!" - bipolarbear
    "At least there were some thoughts went into Apocalypse." - Urban Ranger
    "Apocalype was a great game." - DrSpike
    "In Apoc, I had one soldier who lasted through the entire game... was pretty cool. I like apoc for that reason, the soldiers are a bit more 'personal'." - General Ludd

Comment

I agree completely with the first go being lousy but, considering that the first title was made by three people in a garage on a budget of $0, I don't really fault them for it, and have been taking a look at part two. Superpower 2 looks like it will be amazing, right out the box (unlike a certain game that's popular around here...ahem). I've been particularly impressed by the economic screenshots.

Comment

Careful there. Certain other games certainly sounded like the dogs whatsits in the hype. Wait till you try it before making comparisons
        To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
        H.Poincaré

Comment

Superpower was an immense failure.

Superpower 2 hopefully won't follow.

EDIT: It was cool just to watch the nukes fly, though. That part of the game almost makes it worthwhile.
          Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Superpower was indeed painful to play.

The nukes rocked.

I have a little more hope in Sp2, but ain't holding my breath.
            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Yeah, worth keeping an eye on at least.

Comment

Superpower I was supposedly very buggy.
                -->Visit CGN!
                -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Supposedly?

Comment

According to all the game magazines--- I never played it.
                    -->Visit CGN!
                    -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Ah, ok then.

Comment

the 3d world map is an instant turnoff. i can't imagine anything good coming from it. i sure hope you don't have to play like that.

the satellite screenshot is kinda funny. it looks like they stole that photo from nasa(?) and wrapped it around a globe. i wonder if they got permission first?

it seems to not have much gameplay from the screenshots. just lots of interface, charts, graphics, percentages, numbers, etc.

the game description leaves a lot up in the air too...
                        Like its predecessor, SuperPower 2 is a global geopolitical simulation game built around the following three aspects: political, economic and military. It is controlled by the EHE (Evolutive Human Emulator), the artificial intelligence engine developed by GolemLabs.

Players set their own objectives and try to achieve them within a set time. For example, a player might decide to balance resources, hunt rebels or conquer the world. The computer controls the other countries which have their own objectives. When objectives come into conflict or are similar, the player must manage these relationships and form alliances or go to war.

However, compared to the original game, SuperPower 2 has been improved generally, in both the gameplay and graphics (can be played in real-time or turn-base mode, 3D graphics added). Also, SuperPower 2 features two major innovations: multiplayer games and mods.

Multiplayer

The first great innovation in SuperPower 2 is the inclusion of support for multiplayer games. With this option, several players can link up, on a local network or via the Internet, and play together. Each represents one entity and the EHE controls the rest.

Mods

GolemLabs was inspired by the FPS modding community when making SuperPower 2. That's why the game is entirely moddable! Tools will be released with the game or shortly after to allow everyone to play with the code and transform the game as they wish. Much more than just a superficial transformation, the most talented and dedicated modders out there will be able to create completely separate mods, set in a totally different worlds than the SP2 context.
                        sounds like risk with mission cards.
                        Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

It is not in any way comparable to risk.

It's the complete opposite, really. If anything it might be too detailed and complex.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

General Ludd,

Superpower is complex, and has only gotten moreso in the second version, it seems. That is what is intended, and personally I love it. Most games now (even strategy games, Civ3 for example) are much too simplistic for my tastes. With this massive increase in computing power the world has seen I'd expect games to get more and more complex and realistic, which is IMO, a good thing. But, alas, they just keep getting prettier and shinier...it makes me sick.

pg,

Really? You don't like the 3d globe? It's the first of it's kind I've seen that I actually think looks good. I like the "Satelite's" eye view of the Earth. My biggest fear is that it's RTS. I hate 99.9% of RTS games because they're all fluff and no real gameplay, ya know, kinda like civ3.

There is a demonstration movie here.

Please, watch that and then let me know what you think. Also, if you're into modding check this out.

Comment

Originally posted by alms66
                              General Ludd,

Superpower is complex, and has only gotten moreso in the second version, it seems. That is what is intended, and personally I love it.
                              I agree, although complexity isn't always good - it has to have a purpose.

But yeah, I was just saying that comparing it with risk - an extremely simplified and abstracted game - is a really bad comparison because it's pretty much the polar opposite as far as game mechanics go.

About the movie; impressive. I hope you can turn the clouds off, though I think that might get a bit annoying.
                              Last edited by General Ludd; August 1, 2004, 18:54.

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X