No announcement yet.

Slic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree and I hated how "culture" defined borders in civ3. i dont like how it does in ctp2 either, I wish there was a way to "capture" teritory with units or if anything certain improvements (not related to pop) would increase the control of your territory.

As for culture thats why i felt different attributes being the culture would work better and hopefuly give a different feel when you are up against different civilizations. I hope I see your readme soon.
    Formerly known as "E" on Apolyton

See me at Civfanatics.com

Comment

Actually, I was thinking about it and thought that there should be 4 religions, rather than 1 per starting player, this sort of includes a culture component as well. Too many religions would be a bit complicating.
      If possible I'd like to see the Religion SLIC "split" to have more religion aspects and have a separte nationality SLIC as well.
      this all depends on how you're planning to use the ingame religion stuff...
      while you can use e.g. the first 4 playercolors as religion at the start you'll run into big trouble as soon as those players get annihilated, it won't work
      as for splitting it up - you only have one ingame religion setting - you could use the franchise for the other one though

i remember the hours I spent on this stuff trying to figure out ways and getting it to work, especially the player array stuff and sending the messages, it was very tiring - check out the slic oddities thread, that might save you some work

Comment

"I wish there was a way to "capture" teritory with units or if anything certain improvements (not related to pop) would increase the control of your territory."

Forts and Watchtowers extend borders, but I cant remember if watchtowers were in the original or SAP games.

In my mod I introduced a new unit, the MIGRANT for transferring population from city to city. It's basically a very low value combat unit that cuses a pop point when built, then returns the pop point if disbanded in a city. I aded a cost of 250 gold for the function and extended that to all settler/nomad types.

In addition, I created a new tile improvement, the BORDER FORT, if you disband a migrant in the open inside existing territory and have 100 gold and 100-250 pw, you get a border fort which is like a watchtower, extends borders, but has no defence.

Comment

Code:
          elseif (HasGood(roadLoc)==ResourceDB(TERRAIN_WHITE_MOUN
          TAIN_GOOD_TWO)){ //iron ore
          if(HasAdvance(tmpPlayer, ID_ADVANCE_IRON_WORKING)) {

Event:[b]add 1 point to Iron[/b]
          }
          else {

}
          }
          What I wanted to do is -

If a player has the advance Iron Working and
          When a player has a road on an iron good it will give the player 1 point.
          (I'm looking at Alex Scenario SLIC for how it calculates cityscore, heirscore, etc.)
          I also want to add that when there is a mine on that good it gives 5 points.
          I am then looking to incorporate the the updater SLIC but when you upgrade a warrior to a legion it will subrtact from the iron score (and PW and gold)
          I'll add that in a bit, and I'll continue to learn more on the SLIC but I wanted to get this idea out there and if interested feel free to help.

ignore the attachment..for now

Not experienced enough to write it.

Help appreciated.
          Attached Files

Comment

So you want a running total of resource points, that should be easy enough to calculate, probably. Though it may mean scanning the map.
            - Does it count if the resource is outside a city radius?
            - If there is a mine, must there also be a road? If not, does a road = +1 and a mine = +5 or is 5 the maximum?

Then when you upgrade a unit, you want to subtract a point. What if there are no more points? If you plan to hijack the existing upgrade code, this could get pretty complicated I would think: you'd have to check for gold availability and PW availability and iron-points availability before upgrading! Strings aplenty to be working with.

Then does the iron score then reset to the total the following turn, or later that turn. i.e. is the amount needed to upgrade a comparison to or a depletion of the points? Do points only get added when the tile improvement is built (and deducted when pillaged), or is the points total a function of their existence?
            Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
            "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Hi Ben,

Sent you an email a few minutes ago.

Can you clarify this for me please?

Not sure how CTP2 represents buildings from wonders. In civ 3 the building shows up in the inventory and is removed when the wonder is obsolete.

I was certain in the past that after I built a wonder like VOK, the building (apothecary) appeared in the inventory for each city, can remember selling apothecaries when preparing to get rid of cities.

However, I ran a test game and checked an old game and neither showed apothecaries in the inventory after VOK was built.

In my current game VOK has just become obsolete and cities do not have an apothecary in the inventory, but new cities also do not show apothecary as a building option.

Do you know exactly how wonder buildings are represented, is it effect only? and they dont show up in the build list?

Comment

E,

While it is feasible to do what you want, as IW said, I think that level of detail is not really applicable to a game of this scale. You would have to do it for Rubber, oil, aluminium, horses, copper etc.

If you are wanting a detailed scenario based on a particular period, then its probably worth while. The existing system generalises resources into three things, gold, food and PW which is better than civ 3.

Comment

An then of course, you have to get the AI to do things with the new concepts.

Comment

Originally posted by stankarp
                    Hi Ben,

Sent you an email a few minutes ago.
                    Hey, I'm having some troubles with my email at the minute. I'll reply by PM.
                    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Thanks Ben, I figured that out by changing the name of the function and running the game, and when it returned no error I figured that that type of function was called every turn.

Hope you are back on line fully soon. Thanks.

Does anyone else know about how the Wonder Buildings are handled?

Comment

I think I figured out the problem.

Buildings from wonders do not show up in inventory for cities.
                        The buildings do still show up in the build queue if a wonder is built (we knew that, thats why wonderbuildings.slc was written).
                        However, when a wonder is obsolete, the building does not return to the build list, applicable only to cities built after obseleting, here being the problem.

I am very sure that unless the wonder is destroyed by it's city being destroyed, the player still is counted as having the wonder even after it is obsolete. It still shows up in the wonder list. Anyways, wonderbuildings.slc does not return the building to the build queue.

I solve the problem by altering wonderunits.slc so when a wonder is created, the buildings are built in the city and I removed the buildings from wonders.txt. The remaining issue is to build the building when a city is created until the obseleting advance is reached. I have written this amendment to militia creation. Cant quiet get the code right, can anyone see what I did wrong. Does not return any errors but does not work.

HandleEvent(CreateCity) 'CRA_MilitiaCityCreated' post { // triggers if a city is founded
                        location_t tmpLoc;
                        int_t tmpPlayer;
                        tmpPlayer = player[0];
                        tmpLoc = location[0];
                        city_t tmpCity;

CRA_CreateMilitia(1, tmpPlayer, tmpLoc); // create 1 Militia
                        tmpCity = city[0];
                        player[0] = tmpPlayer;

if (PlayerHasWonder(tmpPlayer, WonderDB(WONDER_VALLEY_OF_THE_KINGS)) && (!HasAdvance(tmpPlayer, ID_ADVANCE_DARK_AGES))) {
                        Event:CreateBuilding(tmpCity, BuildingDB(IMPROVE_APOTHECARY));
                        }
                        elseif (PlayerHasWonder(tmpPlayer, WonderDB(WONDER_HANGING_GARDENS))&& (!HasAdvance(tmpPlayer, ID_ADVANCE_DARK_AGES))) {
                        Event:CreateBuilding(tmpCity, BuildingDB(IMPROVE_AQUEDUCT));
                        }
                        elseif (PlayerHasWonder(tmpPlayer, WonderDB(WONDER_HADRIANS_WALL))&& (!HasAdvance(tmpPlayer, ID_ADVANCE_BANKING))) {
                        Event:CreateBuilding(tmpCity, BuildingDB(IMPROVE_WALL));
                        }

}

Thanks if anyone can help.

Comment

Originally posted by stankarp
                          My mod unfortunately is too big to publish on Apolyton. Cut down to its minimum, it would be nearly 100 meg. I have 50 meg in special effect sprites which are in effect, small AVI's that play when you get disasters, good events, a leader dies, you capture a capital or kill an AI and when Attila the Hun arrives or dies.
                          This Mod has a lot of potential. (I've been fortunate enough to have access to it, thanks to stankarp sending me a CD copy) But it may not be reasonable for stankarp to send a file to everyone who asks for it - though the traffic here for CTP2 files is light. A 4-year old game does that...

Although the AVIs and soundfiles are a nice atmospheric touch, I'd suggest setting up a 'bare bones' public version of your Mod that only includes stuff essential to the actual gamplay.

You can also possibly merge the use of sprites, using tga files (which are a lot smaller than spritefiles) to differentiate your generals.

It would be a little more work at your end (keeping track of multiple file setups), but the important thing for you is to get the Mod into the public's hands - not only for playing, but for some playtesting.
                          Last edited by hexagonian; October 13, 2004, 16:46.
                          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                            So you want a running total of resource points, that should be easy enough to calculate, probably. Though it may mean scanning the map.
                            - Does it count if the resource is outside a city radius?
                            - If there is a mine, must there also be a road? If not, does a road = +1 and a mine = +5 or is 5 the maximum?

Then when you upgrade a unit, you want to subtract a point. What if there are no more points? If you plan to hijack the existing upgrade code, this could get pretty complicated I would think: you'd have to check for gold availability and PW availability and iron-points availability before upgrading! Strings aplenty to be working with.

Then does the iron score then reset to the total the following turn, or later that turn. i.e. is the amount needed to upgrade a comparison to or a depletion of the points? Do points only get added when the tile improvement is built (and deducted when pillaged), or is the points total a function of their existence?

Thats IW and Stankarp. Essentialy I'd like to work a resources concept via SLIc. The community seems split on having resources at all, and those that do have different opinions on how to implement it.

I'm oping to make SLIC for a scenario, probably only using iron, horses, and oil. Somethig to make the late game more interesting.

As for your questions
                            I want the score to be totaled at the beginig of the turn and then subtracted as you upgrade by the end of the turn. That total score then gets added to anything is "produced" each turn.

i'm loking to have the points geberated if they have tile improvement os them and you get no bonus if they are pillaged (Maybe I could add a resource bonus for pillaging but that can be discussed later)

I think the resource should be counted only when its in a civs radius and have some improvement on it, to show an active use of it (road, mine, etc)

And I'm thinking the upgrade would require looking at availability of gold, pw, and iron before bing allowed to upgrade for certain units.

Comment

So you want something like this:
                              Code:
                              HandleEvent(BeginTurn) 'countupresources' pre{
                                      for(player's cities)
                                              check for goods
                                              if good, does it have a road
                                                      if yes, points ++
                                                      or a mine, points + 5
                              }
                              The upgrade code is going to be really tricky though, I would guess. You'll need to check for all resources beforehand, work out which is the limiting factor (if at all) and tell the player how many units he can upgrade. Then it should be as normal, maybe.

Comment

I'll take a look at the upgrade code...

but I might make the point score calculate a little more complex too. Like for instance in using oil I'd like to have every city with a powerplant cost 1 oil point per population. And if you don't have enough oil for the power plants it hurts productivity or happiness. Still thinking on this one...

Comment

Working...
                                X