Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will be responding shortly. Sabrewolf, you know what this means.

Comment

it means nothing good

that's why i asked. i want to know what others see as the middle-term goals of AU
      - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
      - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

I will wait until people respond to your question, me thinks

Comment

WE are playing a game

Games are supposed to be fun

Learning 1500 peoples names is not fun.

While I'm all for increasing the size of AU, I would like it to remain a friendly place, not elitist, but some understanding of the game is always required. Since we are all attempting to beat the game, we are learning from the leaders (I'm learning from jshler and alex among others in a couple of PBEMs, and from Dom, Aeson, Arrian et al on the boards).

There are too many people on the 'net who play C3C to create a mod with. We will always need leaders. I would prefer 50 people to create the mod and the atmosphere, and another 50,000,000 to D/L.
          You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Who says that Krill? We are not trying to get every single person who bought Conquests to come play an AU Course. 1500 people is an extremely large amount compared to what the real goal is. We only have around fifty people, lurkers and all, at the moment. Even doubling that number would be a good change.

Comment

What is the reall goal then? 200 people?
              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

The real goal is to get more people. Whether that be four people or forty, or any number.

Comment

I am now un-disappeared.

Let me catch up a bit, including looking back at my own original thread that you referenced, NM, and I'll put up some thoughts.

And, CONGRATS EVERYBODY, on getting the Civgroup going!!
                  The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
                    I am now un-disappeared.

Let me catch up a bit, including looking back at my own original thread that you referenced, NM, and I'll put up some thoughts.

And, CONGRATS EVERYBODY, on getting the Civgroup going!!
                    Theseus! Welcome back. We missed you.

Comment

/me bows.

Where can I find that "CivIII and Poly" thread? I need to, uh, remember what I was thinkin'.
                      The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Here: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=90953

Comment

While I'm still catching up, I happened to be looking at the August issue of Computer Games today... on page 32, they evidently have a regular report on various mods out in the world.

We should submit the AU Mod, along with some general publicity for Apolyton and AU.

Comment

Wow, that thread was from a YEAR ago!!

(damn, I'm good )

Comment

Having caught up a bit (not done, though), it seems to me that we've done a not-so-bad job at muddling our way through the last year.

We've got:
                              * The Civgroup and Civgroup page
                              (and a cool icon!)
                              * The link on the front page for CivIII
                              * This forum
                              * Semi-regular newspostings
                              * A pretty hot-damn AU Mod

And I think we've played some pretty good games, and have vastly improved the sharing of information, ideas, and experiences with the conversionn to DARs.

From a 'marketing' standpoint, I thought this post of ducki's in the Publicity Stunt thread was pretty good:

Originally posted by ducki
                              Come to think of it, maybe we don't need new games, but a new way of analyzing and showcasing what we've already got, which is some of the best strategic play I've seen. Some very esoteric, some so obvious that many don't think of it.

What we need is a Post-Game Wrap-up Show. Someone to comb through the DARs and glean the "good" stuff. Then, with links, compile a Highlights Reel with commentary of the high-points and low-points of the most recent game.

Publish this as a News Story on 'poly and publicize it. It would be news-y and pull some "late" players as well as interest folks in "what's next". It would be fun if the commentary was done in a theme, like a sportscaster or the excellent zoological storytelling seen in 501. And, it would have a very subtle draw to players that want to have some level of competition but not really the GOTM-level or HoF type of game play - folks LOVE to see their name in writing or hear it on the news or on TV. It would be subtle, but it would subconsciously say "Wouldn't you like to be featured in the next AU Post-game Wrap-up? Unless you play, you don't even have a shot, so come on, join in the fun!"

What do you guys think of that?
                              Good stuff. So, I guess my overall reaction is that, yeah, we want to keep improving, but we are on the right track.

Beyond that, and again looking back at my own thoughts from a year ago, what we really need is more publicity... the great thing is that we are dealing with *Civilization* here, not a game that sells, is played for a while and then is dropped. I mean, there still have to be a gajillion people out there playing who have never been to Apolyton or heard of AU; how do we get in front of them?

Comment

yay!!! theseus is back with lots of good stuff

so, where do we find these gajillions? where do people, who still play civ3 and don't already visit fan-forums, go to?
                                - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
                                - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Working...
                                X