Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I suspect that a monthly game would be hard to pull off. It would also change the nature of the AU. I say that as I think you could not have a "lession" that frequently.

Maybe once a quarter would work.

Comment

Once every three months?

Comment

that's a bit too little ... better making games faster instead? that huge map (gargantua?) took too long

or different categories:
        - the fast regular games
        - the special topic games (eternal war, OCC, etc)
        - the timeconsuming games (bigger maps, isolated, etc)

offer the first kind for everybody and the others for the hardcode people who already participate
        - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
        - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

What I am saying is you will not have 12 good ideas for lession in a year, will you?

So if you want more than 4 to 6 games, you will have to forego that concept or repeat things. Maybe not, but it is not going all that much faster is it?
          Last edited by vmxa1; June 27, 2004, 20:38.

Comment

Let's compromise and say once every two months?

Comment

vmxa1, i agree, 12 good ideas per year isn't realistic. but special ideas don't have to be every time. sometimes it can just be a regular epic game...

2 months sounds better imho. what is the current rate? at what was it at it's peak?

Comment

It looks like 23 courses since 101 back in july 2002. So it is nearly once a month.

I did not look to see if they wee in fact all unique games. I seem to recall a few that were redos of earlier games and probably a few other special games.

Maybe an alternation of true lessions and just here is a fun game for this run?

Comment

I like your idea vmxa1. A rotation would work I want to see those intoduction courses done though!

Comment

Oh yes! If there any volunteers for anything I mentioned in the first post, please contact me or post in the thread. Thanks!

Comment

If redoing all the pre Conquest type courses would be rather difficult, would it be possible to just have the map files reposted for use with Conquest?

I hardly ever post but I will say I have enjoyed them all ( the ones that I have played)

Is it also possible to have smaller maps for a lightning type of AU course....... ie faster games........

Thx to all who have kept the AU courses going.....

Comment

Anyone have anything else to say on the subject?

Comment

Well, yes, if I might...

Structure & visibility:
                          Should be as easy to navigate as possible, since some of us don't have that much time to spend on the net and want to get to the 'meat'.

An easy-to-access and updated changes for the AU mod in respect of the 'vanilla' game by categories (units, improvements, moves, governements etc.).
                          The kind you print and keep besides you until you could recite the differences in your sleep...

Awards:
                          Why not? I would like to suggest to give an award for each (successful) completion of an AU game. Every time you finish an AU course, you get a point. After 3 points, you get your first icon, after 5 or 6, you get an ever 'flashier' one etc. THis should encourage people to play regularly.
                          Points can also be given according to the level you play: each difficulty level above Regent (?) get a +1 bonus/level.

Specific awards:
                          Why not start some AU courses based on speed? The fastest lauch, the fastes conquest, the fastes elimination of a specific civ etc.
                          Specific awards could be given then.

However, I would suggest we keep the award-giving in check. Some of us like to play without too much pressure (I just finished the last AU course yesterday, for instance).
                          The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Sage
                            (I just finished the last AU course yesterday, for instance).
                            So where are your DAR's?

I quite like your suggestions MS. The important point being that any points or awards system should be fairly low-key and designed to give an indication of AU seniority (if that is the right term, rather than status...another term may be more appropriate), and trying to avoid any perception of elitism.

This may be a way for newer AU members to get a quick feel for who are the AU regulars, rather than trying to create a "leader board" that is more the style of Civ Fanatics.
                            So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                            Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Originally posted by Aqualung71
                              So where are your DAR's?
                              Hey!
                              The game was the easy part. Now I have to sort out all my notes... tomorrow or the day after tomorrow...
                              The Mountain Sage of the Swiss Alps

Comment

well, the interest in this thread doesn't seem to be extraordinary. just a few (regular) posters, not many more.

what is actually the aim of AU? i don't mean the standard definitions.
                                what i mean... should AU become structured, big, public magnet, central to the wellgoing of apolyton? or should it stay as it is now: a place where about 20-30 civ3-pros play a scenario every now and then, and a group that optimizes AI to the maximum possible extent?

Comment

Working...
                                X