Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why is it you can't win when you retire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is it you can't win when you retire?

Also I've noticed sometimes you get the replay screen and the screen where the guy hits the scale thingy with the hammer, and sometimes I don't.

I clearly have the highest score, why can't I win? It always says you suffer a humiliating feat.

I don't think I should have to play all the way towards the end. If I have the highest score, I should win when I retire.

Re: Why is it you can't win when you retire?

Originally posted by Dissident
    I clearly have the highest score, why can't I win? It always says you suffer a humiliating feat.

I don't think I should have to play all the way towards the end. If I have the highest score, I should win when I retire.
    Thing is, what if you're only ahead by a few points and you're facing an undefeatable incoming army? Score isn't the best indicator of your chances at winning other ways, or your chances of losing to someone else before reaching 2050.

Comment

what does winning mean to you? do you think that you won? Why not just save the game and continue later.

Comment

Retiring is conceding the game. What actually happens to your civ no longer matters since you conceded. It collapses without the benefit ( ) of your inspired leadership.
        My favorite is imagining my continent sinking under the ocean. Other possibilities include an asteroid strike, Great Flood, a mysterious disappearence (like the Mayas), a nuclear alpha strike, Britney Spears being elected president, etc., etc.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Retiring is giving it up.
          The pressure became too much to you.

If Bush would retire today all his enemy would claim victory on him.
          Formerly known as "CyberShy"
          Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
            If Bush would retire today all his enemy would claim victory on him.
            Good analogy. However, the country wouldn't fall apart if he did.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278

Good analogy. However, the country wouldn't fall apart if he did.
              Neither does your country fall apart in civ.
              It just continues while you can't see it

Comment

Originally posted by CyberShy
                Neither does your country fall apart in civ.
                It just continues while you can't see it
                Too bad you can't just let the computer take over and play itself to see how everything turns out.

Comment

The AI would probably do most things totally different then you would.... and your best friends would suddenly turn into your worst enemies.

You surely don't want to see that happen

Comment

I'm assuming since I retired I don't care what happens to them. I'd hate to see them do better without me though.

Comment

Don't bother about that, being a better cheater should not harm your ego.

Comment

Too bad you can't just let the computer take over and play itself to see how everything turns out.
                        There is a novel in french* like this.
                        At the end, the "sims" created a "bomb" to destroy the computer screen in front of the human "god".
                        After that, I've always considerated my civs with respect

* "La révolution des fourmis" (Ant's revolution) by Bernard Weber

Comment

One cool thing I liked about CIV-II is with the cheat menu you could set up a game where you could watch all the AI's play out their moves. By eliminating your CIV from the game the computer would just play itself. One thing I noticed that once the human player was out of the game the AI's seem to get along peacefully.

Comment

Re: Why is it you can't win when you retire?

Originally posted by Dissident
                            Also I've noticed sometimes you get the replay screen and the screen where the guy hits the scale thingy with the hammer, and sometimes I don't.

Then you would win on the first turn, because you found a city before everyone else.

Comment

Retiring is conceding the game. What actually happens to your civ no longer matters since you conceded. It collapses without the benefit ( ) of your inspired leadership.
                              My favorite is imagining my continent sinking under the ocean. Other possibilities include an asteroid strike, Great Flood, a mysterious disappearence (like the Mayas), a nuclear alpha strike, Britney Spears being elected president, etc., etc.
                              George Bush becoming president...

Comment

Working...
                              X