Any good TBS Fantasy Games???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any good TBS Fantasy Games???

I'm looking for something different to play - and trying to revisit my college days playing D&D. But I'm not into games with a realtime focus.

So, are there any turn-based PC games with a Fantasy focus that are good?
    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

May I point you in the direction of Age of Wonders 2 : Shadow Magic or the more complicated Dominions, or the well respected Warlords 3 or Warlords 4

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Warlords 3 is excellent, as is Heroes of Might and Magic 3. Haven't played Warlords 4 or Heroes of Might and Magic 4 -- haven't heard anything about the former, and haven't heard many good things about the latter.
      <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

And of course the classic Master of Magic.
        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Heroes 2, & Price of Loyalty. Heroes 3, & Armageddon's Blade. Those provide a year of gameplay at the very least. Start with the best.
          All syllogisms have three parts.
          Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

Look around for Heroes of Might and Magic Platinum Edition. I found it in a bargain bin for ten or fifteen bucks awhile back.

If you get Warlords III, then get Warlords III: Darklords Rising (assuming that the two don't come bundled, which is actually pretty likely, considering that the game is six or seven years old) instead. Darklords Rising is really more like Warlords 3.5 -- it's Warlords III with more units and more campaigns.
            <p style="font-size:1024px">HTML is disabled in signatures </p>

Comment

And don't forget good ol' Fantasy General... if you can find it and get it to work
              I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Lords of Magic.
                Get the 'Special Edition' if you can find it and use the latest patch.
                It's by the same folks who released the Lords of the Realm games. Has some interesting things going on in it beyond the normal fare
                'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

I'd second AOW2 as an entry point to the genre. I haven't played SM but it's generally considered better, and you can get it cheap these days.

Comment

Thanks all,

I remember seeing poor reviews of Fantasy General and Lords of Magic when I got my first computer way back when...though I did enjoy Star General and Lords of the Realm 2.

I've downloaded the AOW2 and Warlords IV demos as a start. The graphics of AOW2 are excellent, so that is a plus. (Fantasy games have to have a good atmosphere to get me into the mindset...)
                    Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                    ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Yep, AOW is beautiful. I reccommend you get the Shadow Magic expansion though. It has more balanced units.

-Jam
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian
                        Thanks all,

I remember seeing poor reviews of Fantasy General and Lords of Magic when I got my first computer way back when...though I did enjoy Star General and Lords of the Realm 2. edit......
                        Yes Lords of Magic was a mess when it first came out(apparantly).
                        What you get with the Special Edition version and the latest patch(cant remember off hand what version number,but google might help) is apparantly 3 programming years worth of fixes by the authors!!

Its not the best game i've played and still has odd design things going on, but i'm finding it more engrossing than i did AoW, although it can be sluggish on my P166
                        'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Dominions II - 1095 units, 560 spells, it is really hard to imagine a serious TBS player who would not love this game.

Comment

Yes... and I'll third Dominions 2. It shouldn't be overlooked.
                            Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

only played fantasy general for an hour or so but it is a decent game at minimum. it's basically fantasy panzer general.
                              Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

Working...
                              X