PLUS: Credit Card (no PAYPAL) option?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PLUS: Credit Card (no PAYPAL) option?

i've seen some "i hate paypal" posts. how many of you would want to see a non-paypal credit card option(and are not geting a subscription due to the lack of such an option)?

all sites offering cc parsing i've seen have a sign-up cost, so unless there are a certain amount of interest, there isnt much point in doing it

so vote away, but please only if you're really interested in plus...
    Yes
    59.09%
    No
    40.91%
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

I've heard bad things about pay pal. I'm not sure if I hate it.

Also I've heard of scams over e-bay using pay pal.

But I know Apolyton would never scam me

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
      I've heard bad things about pay pal. I'm not sure if I hate it.
      What he said. I was almost ready to take a deep breath and sign up through PayPal, but now that there's talk of other forms of payment, I'd definitely prefer that.
      XBox Live: VovanSim
      xbox.com (login required)
      Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
      Spore page

Comment

Wouldn't it be easier to just ask a fellow pollytubby to help you out?
        It seems like a waste of money - the sign-up - thingy for just a handfull of people.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

My view is that ANY outfit offering this service will face the same kinds of problems. Paypal has already had to deal with most of them and mostly it has been the only game in town, which is why they have had the bad press. But that is the past. I joined paypal for A-PLUS and feel confident that they have handled the "shake-out" period that comes with growth. I really wonder if any of the other services can say as much.

There are always a ton of reasons to say no to something. But when it comes to A-PLUS, I don't think paypal is a very good one. If paypal isn't offered in your area, that's different. But where it is operating, I think you'll need to look for another lame excuse for not subscribing. This is especially true since there are many who have offered to set things up for folk in their area.

A-PLUS is great. Paypal works fine. Just do it!!

Monk
          so long and thanks for all the fish

Comment

What's the problem with paypal to some people?
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

Your the fool that voted no?!

Lynch Cybershy
              Eventis is the only refuge of the spammer. Join us now.
              Long live teh paranoia smiley!

Comment

I voted no. I don't have a problem with PayPal, so wouldn't need a credit-card option.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

I posted this in another thread in answer to a question about why I wont use paypal. Its not some kinda semi-religious-anti-MS thing. I just oppose their business practices (that started out so well).

"I have a paypal account. I just take offense at their intrusive attitude. I used a platinum card with $10K limit to set up the account and everything was fine. Some time later they changed their policy and decided that they needed my bank account number else my use of paypal was limited to some small amount/year. **** that, they have no need for my bank account number and I told them so. They gave me some bull**** about it being totally secure (yeah right). I dont think I've used paypal (or ebay) since then."

I wont use paypal unless there is no other option. With poly the other option is to continue with pop-ups.
                  We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                  If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                  Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

How about cash?
                    SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
                      Your the fool that voted no?!

Lynch Cybershy
                      Nope, I didn't vote 'no'.
                      too bad you guys lynched me already
                      I still have my vote to cast........
                      I'm happy with paypal, they never asked for my bankaccount. I just use paypal and they have my cc.
                      No problems so far........

(except that some dudes just lynched me. Still looking for my left leg)
                      Formerly known as "CyberShy"
                      Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

/me drops a left leg

/me starts to go towards exit
                        SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                        The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

This is what I'm talking about. It didnt exist when I first signed up with paypal, and I think it's bull****.

PayPal encourages eBay buyers and sellers to become PayPal Verified to build trust on eBay. Verification helps to authenticate a member's identity which increases the security of the PayPal network for everyone.
                          As a verified PayPal member you will also enjoy the following benefits. You will be able to:

Increase your sending limit.
                          Fund your payments with your checking account.
                          Improve your reputation because other eBay users will know you're Verified.
                          Pay your bills online with PayPal's FREE BillPay service.
                          To become Verified simply add a bank account to your PayPal account. PayPal then sends two small deposits to your bank account. Just find the deposit amounts and enter them on the PayPal website, and you'll be Verified--it's that easy. Get Verified today!
                          If you're not 'verified' i.e. give them access to your bank account, you have very limited use of paypal.

Here's why you shouldnt give them your bank account

WARNING! PAYPAL!
                          If you have, or are thinking of having, an account with www.paypal.com, read this.

In September 2001 I ordered a product online for $280.90 from a health website. The website asked for my credit card as is normal and I gave them my visa debit number. This visa number is a debit account - it is hooked up to a bank account of mine which is hooked to my paypal account. Imagine my shock and horror when I saw that the money was withdrawn, not by the seller, but by Paypal!

I phoned paypal and asked how this was possible. They informed me that the seller had opened a paypal account in my name, and took the money out that way. The seller did not steal any money from me - BUT they then had an account hooked up to my bank account - so there was nothing stopping them in the future from withdrawing other sums of money from me. They did not subsequently close the account.

I phoned paypal and told them to close this second account. Guess what? The person I spoke to said that I couldn't! Because I didn't know the password! And the email address for the new account did not go to me! I asked, how could I know the password since I didn't open the account? In desperation, I then wrote a letter to the Managing Director but got no reply and I assumed the matter was handled. A year later I learned that this account was still in existence!

Paypal has since put a block on this second account so that it cannot be used, but they won't close it for me. I have to wait a total of three years (two years to go) before it will close itself due to inactivity.

One worrying aspect of all this is that I was never sent any correspondence to inform me of the second account in my name (linked to my main account). I learned of its existence only by studying my bank statement, seeing that the money was paid to paypal (not the seller) and phoning paypal. It takes little imagination to imagine some unscrupulous person saving up credit card numbers, opening second paypal accounts that the credit card owners are unaware of, and then withdrawing millions of dollars on one day and heading off to South America.

It is clear that the business model for paypal has a massive security flaw.

So - be warned! If you have a paypal account DO NOT under any circumstances link it to any bank account with any sizeable sum of money! In other words, don't give paypal a debit account number or merchant account number. And you might like to phone them to find out how many accounts are in your name.

Much worse stories (involving the loss of thousands of $$$s) at www.paypalsucks.com

Copyright ©: Stephanie Relfe - 2002

Email:Stephanie@Relfe.com
                          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

hi ,

yes we do

as for members who want a good card , go for amex blue

Mark what about an international postal money order , .....

have a nice day
                            - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
                            - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
                            WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by SpencerH
                              I posted this in another thread in answer to a question about why I wont use paypal. Its not some kinda semi-religious-anti-MS thing. I just oppose their business practices (that started out so well).

"I have a paypal account. I just take offense at their intrusive attitude. I used a platinum card with $10K limit to set up the account and everything was fine. Some time later they changed their policy and decided that they needed my bank account number else my use of paypal was limited to some small amount/year. **** that, they have no need for my bank account number and I told them so. They gave me some bull**** about it being totally secure (yeah right). I dont think I've used paypal (or ebay) since then."

I wont use paypal unless there is no other option. With poly the other option is to continue with pop-ups.
                              good choice . Credit cards are much more secure. You can call the company if there are any unauthorized charges. It isn't that easy if someone cleans out your bank account.

Comment

Working...
                              X