Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I just lost to the AI!

Picture my reaction.

Transcend level, playing PKs as a OCC on a standard map. Its about 2330, and the Uni are just finishing the Voice of Planet next turn. I'm a bit behind them in tech, but as my energy park got eaten by Morgan's borders expanding, I'm not too concerned... I have a Plan B.

UN Headquarters is FILLED with all the crawlers that used to be on the energy park - about 50 of them, upgraded to Fusion and Silksteel at least. As soon as the Uni finishes the Voice of Planet, I'm going to cash them all and steal the Ascent to Transcendance!

I press End Turn, and get ready to cash them. Dee suddenly lands a great stack of elite singularity infantry next to UN HQ, kills the defenders, the supply crawlers (which I thought would at least slow an attack - but they seemed to "dissapear" as collateral damage) and captures my one base. Game over man, game over.

I nearly put my fist through the screen.

-Jam
    1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
    That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
    Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
    Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Its why I love this game . . . just when you think it can't suprise you, it does something to suprise you

Were those troops dropped in ?? If so did the AI use the blink ability to get around your aerocomplex?

Tough luck Jamski-- The last time I lost to the AI I didn't even come close to winning ( I played double-blind research as Miriam and got stuck on an island for a hundred years -- OUCH)
    You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

Did you get the 'whisle' movie then, Flubber? Only happens when an AI faction Ascends AFAIK.
      He who knows others is wise.
      He who knows himself is enlightened.
      -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

I don't know exactly what kind of troops they were. They were drop troops, and elite, but they flashed up so fast that was all I could read. Yes - I use fast combat resolution. Yeah - since they were Elites they could have been unloaded from the IotD just off my coast and attack the same turn, or used blink to bypass my Aerospace Complex, perimiter, tachyon etc...

Anyway - the point of this thread was to laugh at my bad luck.

-Jam
        1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
        That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
        Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

-I'm on Jamski's ignore list, so react to this post as if I mocked and ridiculed him.-

We'll surprise him!

Comment

And that's why I check up on you at random

-Jam

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
              Did you get the 'whisle' movie then, Flubber? Only happens when an AI faction Ascends AFAIK.
              There is a special movie?
              SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
              The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

I think I know what movie you're talking about. I saw it in the Scenario Editor, but I think it's only on Crossfire, or maybe I'm thinking of the wrong thing, but in what I'm talking about you appear to be a person walking in the middle of no where when you look up and see the Ascent to Transcedence thing, with that weird looking thing rising up in the middle of those 7 other weirdo people in a circle. I feel winded, even though I only typed that, probably because I'm wrong...oh well...

Comment

So anyway, Jamski, I thought you were, like, legendary or something...

Comment

Certain units are always destroyed when they are the only ones remaining in a stack, even when they are in a base. The only ones I know of for sure are supply crawlers and probe teams. Incidentally, they are the only inherently clean units, so maybe the designers didn't want huge barricades of cheap, support-free units.
                    "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                    -BBC news

Comment

Everyone can have a duff game I was tempted to quit after the sea levels sank, bringing Morgan's seabases to the surface, and occupying my energy park. Its so hard to protect an energy park in OCC, and you really have to have one

-Jam

Comment

Certain units are always destroyed when they are the only ones remaining in a stack, even when they are in a base. The only ones I know of for sure are supply crawlers and probe teams. Incidentally, they are the only inherently clean units, so maybe the designers didn't want huge barricades of cheap, support-free units.

Ah! That explains why my crawler army failed to save me. I never tried to stack them in a base for defense before.

-Jam

Comment

Originally posted by GeoModder
                          Not that I recall-- The AI did not transcend. I lost to a Spartan conquest when my little arid island was invaded by the Spartans with planes and missile rovers. I never got a chance to probe away anything and was dead in something like 3 turns from the time I made first contact with any outside faction. In that game it was literally a century before ANY AI came calling. I also had no rivers or monoliths so it was fun fun fun.

I did go back to my 2101 save of the game and try again. This time I sacrificed a bunch of units to get the WP and raise land until I ran into someone. With the ability to trade, the game turned into a typical crush of the AI.
                          You don't get to 300 losses without being a pretty exceptional goaltender.-- Ben Kenobi speaking of Roberto Luongo

Comment

@ Enigma_Nova and Jamski.

I nearly put my fist through the screen.
                            Why is it that I find this extremely hilarious?

Oh well......
                            Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                            Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                            *****Citizen of the Hive****
                            "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

I've never seen the AI pull tactics like that Jamski, then again I haven't played Transcend yet. I'm playing the difficulty right before Transcend and after applying the rush to IA + mass crawl strategy among others, the AI has been playing a hopeless game of catch up.

The AI doesn't even seem to use supply crawlers, which I'm wondering how they can even hope to beat a human opponent who knows how to use them? Maybe they are hoping you play with random events on, and betting on your founding base being taken out by a meteor

Comment

Working...
                              X