Forum Civ I Planning Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum Civ I Planning Thread

Near final draft, comment now, the first game thread starts soon.

Society
    version 0.3

a forum game from Smiley's Cultural Industries

Society is a civ clone adapted to the vBulletin platform. As the leader of a civilization, your job is to nurture it from a small tribe to world domination, conquest of space, or who knows what else.

Gold
    makes the world go round. Everyone starts with 1 Gold.

Cities
    The core of your empire.

Each city generates Gold per turn equal to 5 times your Technology Level.

The cost of building a new city is equal to 3x the number it will be
    Code:
    City  Cost
    ----------
     1     you start with this one
     2     6
     3     9
     4     12
    Technology
    Tech increases Gold per city per turn, and can also confer some special benefits, such as unlocking Wonders. You can advance more than once if you can afford it.

Code:
    Tech Cost Goodies
    ---------------------------
     1     free  Tower of Babel
     2     4     Great Wall
     3     9     Trojan Horse, Monarchy
     4     16    Acropolis
     5     25    Silk Road, Caravans
     6     36    Jihad
     7     49    Mafia, Spies
     8     64    Trans Siberian RR
     9     81    National Rifle Association, Republic
     10   100   Univ. of California
     11   121   Interstate Highways, Nukes
     12   144   KGB
     13   169   Majestic-12, SDI
     14   192   Star Wars
     15   225   Spaceship Parts
    War
    What's a forum game without some violence?

Military power is bought using gold, at a 1 to 1 ratio.

How war works:

Specify who you are attacking, and how many forces you are sending. Your territory must be in contact with enemy to attack.

The number of cities you gain is equal to

C = A / DT * (AT / DT), round down.
    A = attacker's army size
    AT = attacker's tech level
    DT = defender's tech level

The attacker takes casualties equal to D / AT, where D is defender's army size, and AT is attacker's tech level. The defender does not take casualties (it is assumed that the attacker will pick the least defended cities to strike)

Governments
    You start in Despotism. At any time you may change governments by Revolution. You will forfeit your turn by doing so, including gold collection.
    Despotism- Free army support
    Monarchy- +50% gold/turn
    Army support cost = army size / cities
    Republic- Double gold/turn
    Army support cost = army size / tech level

The Map
    A square grid. For two squares to be adjacent for military and trade purposes, they must have a common edge, corners don't count. Starting locations are arranged in with each player having 2 neighbors, initially separated by 2 squares. Total area is equal to 12 times the number of players.

Goodies
    Caravans: cost = 5, target at a neighbor and both collect gold equal to combined Tech Levels
    Spies: You get 1 spy per turn once you discover the necessary technology. You may use any number per turn. Spies are either used against other players, cancelling their orders, or can be deployed as counterespionage, which stops ALL enemy spy action.
    Nukes: cost = 15, destroys 1 enemy city anywhere.
    SDI: cost = 50, each will stop 1 nuke from hitting you per turn.
    Spaceship Parts: cost = 150 each. You can only build one per turn, and need 3 to win.

Wonders of the World
    There are 14, one for each tech level, except for Tech Level 15. Only one Wonder may be built. The base cost of each wonder is the square of its tech level. You may, however, overspend. In the case more than one player gives orders to build the same Wonder, the one who spends the most gets it. In ties, first to send orders wins. Loser gets their gold back.

Wonders are captured when a player is eliminated. Allies must agree who gets it.

It may appear that many of the wonders might be unbalancing, but don't worry, forum games seem to have a natural way of correcting any sort of imbalance.

1. Tower of Babel- Generates gold per turn equal to the square of your tech level, after government bonuses.
    2. Great Wall- makes you immune to enemy attack. Expires with Tech Level 8.
    3. Trojan Horse- gives you 1 spy per turn even if you do not have the necessary tech. Doesn't do anything after you do.
    4. Acropolis- allows Republic government without having discovered the necessary technology.
    5. Silk Road- allows trade with all players, not just neighbors.
    6. Jihad- your military can be split to make multiple attacks
    7. Mafia- One extra gold per city in the world, after gov't bonuses.
    8. Trans-Siberian Railroad- Your new cities may be built anywhere, as long as a path can connect them to an existing city of yours without crossing anyone else's territory.
    9. National Rifle Association- gives a Republic the military support costs of a Monarchy
    10. University of California- gives you any Tech Level known to at least 1 other player.
    11. Interstate Highway System- Give you bonus gold, equal to the square of the number of cities you own. After government bonus.
    12. KGB- gives you 2 additional Spies per turn
    13. Majestic-12 Program- your nuclear missiles are immune to intercept.
    14. Star Wars- Your cities now require 4 nukes to destroy.

Foreign Aid
    Once per turn you may grant the following to any one other nation. You must be adjacent to provide military aid.
    1. technology
    2. military units
    3. spies, caravans, nukes, SDI.
    Wonders and spaceship parts are not grantable.

Order of Processing
    1. Production
    2. Foreign Aid
    3. War
    4. Tax Collection

Victory
    Conquest- self explanatory
    Spaceship- build spaceship, a really expensive thing with parts that must be built in sequence (no stocking up and buying it in one turn)

Culture
    Please provide some background and characters to aid the GM in writing a good story.
    Last edited by :) Smiley; June 4, 2004, 11:11.
    Visit First Cultural Industries
    There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
    Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Nice.

However, there are no military distinctions between the govts. It should be easier to fight in a less lucrative one, so it is balanced.

What is it we are allocating? For example in GO we have BP which we can allocate in expanding or building units (and in this case teching also)

Also, this would be a pain to GM.

Comment

It sounds like it would be impossible to win by travel to space, however.

And also, games could/would be won at early levels by people who just stocked up on armies and 'zerg rushed'

There doesn't seem to be much incentive for tech.

Maybe if you added Food bonuses to buildings/tech and made soldiers cost food?

You would almost have to hide the data about each civilization's progress from the other players (I think)

--
      Although, I disagree with DrSpike in one aspect, it doesn't appear any more difficult to GM than Galactic Empire, It merely appears more difficult to play
      -->Visit CGN!
      -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

It's designed with ease of GM'ing in mind.

Gold is the equivalent of BP's.

Maybe up the gold per city to 5 x tech level? It'd also speed up the game some.

To prevent early rushes, I've thought of implementing a grid map, where people aren't starting out next to each other, and you must be in contact to make war. Maximum function for minimum additional GM'ing.
        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

5X tech level sounds like a good idea- probably easier to manage as well.

-
          Hmm... the grid map sounds like a lot of GM work- but if you're up for it... it may do well
          -
          but I still think you should implement extra food costs for units.
          -->Visit CGN!
          -->"Production! More Production! Production creates Wealth! Production creates more Jobs!"-Wendell Willkie -1944

Comment

Can you build colonies on resources that you wish to exploit? And can I steal all Spikey's cities by impressing them with Shakespeare quotations?

You ought to explain that the governments give you bonus gold per turn. If you simply revolted into Republic one turn, doubled your total cash, and then revolted back into Despotism the next turn to spend all your new cash on hardcore, expensive units with no upkeep then that would be too powerful.

Comment

Resources may be implementable with the grid map, basically they give you extra gold.

Culture is a tough one, I don't want that to be just another mathematical thing. Roleplaying will be much more extensive.

Still need ideas for Wonders, or should I start a signup thread?

Comment

You could just take the wonders directly from Civ, or you could have a theme to each game.
                "You have built the wonder of DrSpike!" (+25 ppd gold)
                "You have built Joe DiMaggio/Neverwinter Nights/Brie/Finland/absolutely anything you want as long as they are all of the same type."

Comment

The DrSpike wonder should be a science wonder.

Comment

Wonders are up. I suppose players will be able to rename them when they build em.

Comment

With player starting positions, should GM arrange them symettrically (not completely fair) or should players simply PM the coordinates that they want randomly? (both more and less fiar depending on how ya look at it)

Comment

Use a RNG to choose numbers that you can then use as coordinates. As long as one person is nmot on top of the other, then this should provide a random start. It may not be fair, but they can always reload to get a better one.
                        Honestly though, RNG would be fine.

Comment

I got a feling most Civ'ers got a bad taste for RNGs though. "Your spearman killed my tank!"

Signup thread to go up in a couple hours with prelim rules.

Comment

I got a feling most Civ'ers got a bad taste for RNGs though. "Your spearman killed my tank!"
                            But it wouldn't be Civ if you couldn't count on having it stuck to you by the RNG at least once
                            I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Working...
                            X