RPGs playing order?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPGs playing order?

I have had the Fallout series for years, but only fairly recently (past 12-18 months) started purchasing other RPGs, but I am not sure which one(s) I should play first.

My original thinking was to play the older ones first so that I wouldn't be disappointed with the primitive graphics if I had started with the newer ones first, but now I am not sure...

I have:

Baldur's Gate 1 with expansion
    Baldur's Gate 2
    Icewind Dale 1
    Icewind Dale 2
    Arcanum
    Morrowind
    Neverwinter Nights
    Knights of the Old Republic

Aside from Fallout, the only other RPG-like games that I am familar with are the Diablo series and Freedom Force.

Any suggestions as to what game(s) I should work on first?

I would recomend either Baldur's Gate (starting with the first, of course) or Arcanum.

Arcanum is, I think, a bit similiar in style to fallout.

EDIT: And after those two, either Morrowind or KOTOR.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Try KOTRO before Morrowind, if you do Morrowind first, assuming you are aiming for 100% completion on each game, then you'll die before you cna think about KOTOR.
      Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
      Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

neverwinter nights rocks on multiplayer

JM
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

MORROWIND!!!!1111

Comment

has no multiplayer

JM
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

nor does it need it.

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions !

From what I have been hearing about all of these games most of them make Civ 3 feel like a short game in terms of time playing them

Comment

My original thinking was to play the older ones first so that I wouldn't be disappointed with the primitive graphics if I had started with the newer ones first

Sounds like a decent idea... though I'd also recommend KOTOR before Morrowind. Morrowind will take a while to get through.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Sounds like a decent idea... though I'd also recommend KOTOR before Morrowind. Morrowind will take a while to get through.
                    What do you think is the fastest, as in Really competitive and all in one sitting, that you could finish each of thsoe? KOTOR, I could seee in maybe a couple of days, two if you were sooper good, maybe. Morrowind, I have yet to beat, so I don't know.
                    Btw, I'm tlaking jsut the basic stuff, sidequests not included.
                    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
                    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

Comment

Ok, forget KOTOR and Morrowind. They're pretty shallow attempts to reach the heights of the IE games, but with nicer graphics.

First up - play Baldurs Gate. (And visit the BG thread for ways to make your experience more joyful)
                      Then, proceed directly to BG2 (And get the expansions for both.)

Part 2 - play Icewind Dale 1 (with expansion) and 2.

Then play NWN.

The fact that these games all use roughly the same rules systems will help you getting into them.

Let me reiterate that you should play BG1 first. Its the start of a whole generation of games, it has a brilliant story, beautiful graphics and interesting characters. You will find more modern games like Morrowind and and NWN pretty dull and empty by comparison. Then BG2 adds even more to the mix. Its definitely got to be your first choice.

-Jam
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Baldur's Gate 1 first.

This will get you primed.

then play Icewind Dale 1

then play Planescape: Torment.

then Baldur's Gate 2

then Icewind Dale 2

Then Neverwinter Nights

Then KOTOR

then morrowind (although I have yet to finish this one)

I never played arcanum. not sure what that is

Comment

Play KOTOR first, since it's great fun and a nice easy way to get into the genre.

Comment

Arcanum->BG1 -> PT -> BG2 ->ID1 ->ID2 ->NWN (I would however skip that) -> KOTOR -> Morrowind (if you have courage ):
                            SMAC/X FAQ | Chiron Archives
                            The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on the unreasonable man. --G.B.Shaw

Comment

Everyone is forgeting Arcanum! (Except obstructor and I)

My recomended order: Arcanum > BG1 > BG2 > NWN (If you play multplayer, if not, skip it) > KOTOR > Morrowind > Icewind Dale 1 & 2
                              Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Working...
                              X