No announcement yet.

UFO: Aftershock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never got around to playing Aftermath. Must correct that at some point.

Comment

I would say Aftermath was decidedly mediocre. There just ultimately wasn't much depth to it, either on the base management side or in the actual combat. Maybe they'll make some changes for the better with this one...
      I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

well, by adding entering buildings, climbing on roofs, etc, some combat issues have been addressed.

UFO:AS has lots of things that were actually planned to be in UFO:AM, but didn't manage it due to time problems. a bit like PTW was not more than an expansion with things that should have been in civ3 vanilla from the beginning on
        - Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity
        - Atheism is a nonprophet organization.

Comment

Aftermath did my head in. I finally got to the Retribution mission, but no matter what configuration of weapons or men I used, they all got wasted within 5 seconds of starting the mission.

I eventually uninstalled the game in disgust.
          "Paul Hanson, you should give Gibraltar back to the Spanish" - Paiktis, dramatically over-estimating my influence in diplomatic circles.

Eyewerks - you know you want to visit. No really, you do. Go on, click me.

Comment

cheatcodes

i managed to solve this one by extracting the game data... and looking for the weaknesses of those damn tentacle-creatures... it turned out that they are only really vulnerable against warp weapons. then, with hundreds reloading attempts, i managed it... but damn, that was hard *oooph*

Comment

That's why the original game is better
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I managed to kill the first one with many sniper rifles trained on it, one supershotgun and a minigun. It still took forever and I was running out of ammo. So I grabbed the nearest dead alien's weapon and equiped it. It just so happened to be a warp weapon.
                I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Anyone notice that Laser Squad Nemesis finally has single player.

Probably old news, but I don't get out much - I actually read about it in a magazine. I know - very low tech.

"Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                  "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                  "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

:brrrr: looks freaky

is this real time strategy or more XCOM like?

Comment

I'm cursed with this game. I messed up twice then I was having a far more successful game of UFO:AM recently when my HDD died. I haven't found the enthusiasm to start it again yet.

Enterable buildings and rooftop climbing sounds interesting but in its own way may kill the game. At least with the original the relatively big town zones could be walked around at a good pace to clear the map. If you have to commando rush each house that could become total tedium.
                      To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
                      H.Poincaré

Comment

While the roof and building entry may be interesting, I still don't know if it will fill out the tactical depth.
                        I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

True. The combat itself was ok (from what little I saw), but there needs to be another aspect to the game I think.

Comment

the biggest problem, imho, is the completely new hybrid form of RTS and TBS. they did it quite well, but it just needs more games alike to get used to this type.

i also disliked the very close distance to the enemies. i mean... come on... when landing the chopper, you should be able to see those carcrabs and other big mutants... and the aliens should be able to see you! so why not always start in a more secure distance? to make it harder again, the aliens should coordinate better. the mutants may be oversized insects, but the reticulans are brilliant aliens. at least they should be trained for combat.

Comment

here's the trailer, if anyone wants first impressions:
                              GamersHell is the ultimate destination for gaming news, reviews, previews, videos and more.

Comment

looking at the FAQ it seems a lot hasn't been decided yet. there a feature requests by the community.

some definate now features will be cyberimplants, scouting robots, etc.

ETA is somewhere around E3 next year... so about 3/4 of a year. a lot can be done by then

Comment

Working...
                                X