G4 TV, what is this crap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G4 TV, what is this crap?

Has anyboody seen this? A whole tv cahnnel dedicated to video gmaes?
    I was doing the insomnia thing last night, and what do you know I turend to what was once techtv, to find this crappy "channel". Terrible reporting, and even worse are the "anhors" who try w/o any skill at all, to lok casual, relaxed, and unrehearsed. Quite a terrible investment overall. does anybody have any comments on this crap?
    Lysistrata: It comes down to this: Only we women can save Greece.
    Kalonike: Only we women? Poor Greece!

G4 TV isnt all video game IIRC. They do tech stuff too, just like they did during techTV.

Media sucks when it comes to educating people in general, but especially in video games... its soo stupid and shallow. They have absolutely no ****ing idea what they are talking about. Its all done by people that wanna look like they know but just make an idiot out of themselves by getting all the facts wrong.
    :-p

Comment

ya, web stuff is jsut fien for getting all ofthe video gmae updates I nedd.
      penny-arcade uber alles!!!

Comment

Get used to it.........a circuit is beginning to form for some games, and the age of the pro gamer isn't far away (it's already here in some countries like South Korea). I've been watching a live feed of the Warcraft Masters tourney recently, and this kind of stuff will hit the screen in less than 10 years IMO.

Comment

I've been watching a live feed of the Warcraft Masters tourney recently, and this kind of stuff will hit the screen in less than 10 years IMO.

table-tennis isnt enough?

Comment

g4 does suck compared to techtv. so far at least. at least they kept the screen savers and call for help didn't they(it doesn't seem to be on as much though)? all the original g4 shows suck more or less with stupid costumes and crappy reporting/acting plus most of the people look so bored. the only g4 programming i've be able to find interesting is the e3 report with 2 fairly interesting guys, and a documentary on the chronicles of riddick(even though this wasn't very good).
            Eschewing obfuscation and transcending conformity since 1982. Embrace the flux.

Comment

I kinda like it. That Diane Mizota is a hottie. Filter I think is the name...where it ranks games based on viewer votes.

I also find the show rather informative when they discuss games that are in the works and in the pipeline as well as haivng interviews with some of the big playa's. I saw one episode (i think it's called "Legends" or something close to it) and they went over the career of Brian Reynolds, Sid Meier, and Jeff Briggs.

Very good and the interviews done by them for the program were really interesting.
              Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
              Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
              *****Citizen of the Hive****
              "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Originally posted by DrSpike
                Get used to it.........a circuit is beginning to form for some games, and the age of the pro gamer isn't far away (it's already here in some countries like South Korea). I've been watching a live feed of the Warcraft Masters tourney recently, and this kind of stuff will hit the screen in less than 10 years IMO.
                help me here. If i want to see, say, humans killing orcs, i can rent Lord of the Rings, and get narrative elements, character interaction, not found in a game. Games sacrifice other elements to get the INTERACTIVITY other media lack, which is why they can be so gripping. And Im supposed to turn on the TV and WATCH, without ANY INPUT from me, two or more people playing a GAME against each other, one that models a genre widely available in more traditional narrative forms? this makes no sense to me.
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

I understand where you are coming from, but you are coming from the wrong angle entirely IMO. I watch and enjoy such events in exactly the same way as I do sports.

Now some sports I watch because I play them, and like to see professionals competing in the same game, albeit at a much higher level. Some sports I just watch, and don't play.

A 1v1 between 2 top players in WC3 at this stage will not interest non players, but it very much does interest WC3 gamers.

I may get attacked for it, but a well matched series of games between 2 top players can be as exciting as any sporting final that takes your fancy.

What is more, the big tourneys in Korea (the gaming mecca) already attract 1000s of spectators, and they have TV channels dedicated to showing games from tourneys also.

Believe me, the time will come, albeit not for a few years yet.

Comment

I understand where you are coming from, but you are coming from the wrong angle entirely IMO. I watch and enjoy such events in exactly the same way as I do sports.

Now some sports I watch because I play them, and like to see professionals competing in the same game, albeit at a much higher level. Some sports I just watch, and don't play.

A 1v1 between 2 top players in WC3 at this stage will not interest non players, but it very much does interest WC3 gamers.

I may get attacked for it, but a well matched series of games between 2 top players can be as exciting as any sporting final that takes your fancy.

What is more, the big tourneys in Korea (the gaming mecca) already attract 1000s of spectators, and they have TV channels dedicated to showing games from tourneys also.

Believe me, the time will come, albeit not for a few years yet.
                    I dunno. Im watching sports, Im watching a PHYSICAL matchup between people who can do things I could never do. I suppose the problem is that I see games as essentially an interactive model of a real life situation, or else a form of interactive fiction, more than as an abstract competition. I think weve been over that before, no? I mean I did follow the Fisher -Spaasky chess tournament (yes, Im VERY OLD) but Chess, is well, different. Its like SO abstract. And even then its not something Id watch on TV very often. I mean kibbitzing around a table in real life is different, thats social. Still, I think I see your point.

as for the Koreans, well, every nation and culture has its eccentricities, so I'll try not to say anything derogotory about those OTHERWISE sensible people,
                    "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Well if it's about interaction surely you should enjoy playing sports but not watching them? You say those players are capable of things you are not - this is just as true of gaming. Granted there is little physical element in gaming, but I submit you are not watching most sports because people are physically better than you, but because they are much better than you at the game in question. Only some sports require extreme physical fitness.

If you understand why people watch football, or golf, or snooker, or any sport then you should understand why people watch gaming tournaments.

Comment

Also I'd suggest its possible your thoughts are clouded by being predominantly a SP addict. MP is much different, and just like any sport, it doesn't matter how silly the activity is (I mean, kicking and throwing and hitting balls around is hardly meaningful) what matters is the competition. That is what draws people to sports, whether playing or watching.........that last gasp moment of brilliance in the dying seconds that turns the game around, resilience under extreme pressure, these are the things which draw people to sports, and equally, I submit, to MP gaming.

Comment

If you understand why people watch football, or golf, or snooker, or any sport then you should understand why people watch gaming tournaments.
                          To be quite honest, Ive never really understood watching golf. Or auto racing. Really Baseball, American Football, and (occasionally) basketball are about the only sports I'll watch on TV. Ice Hockey or Lacrosse in person. And the olympics, but more for the atmosphere and water cooler conversation.

Comment

Yeah they have the world computer games competitions.

Comment

g4 does suck compared to techtv. so far at least. at least they kept the screen savers and call for help didn't they(it doesn't seem to be on as much though)? all the original g4 shows suck more or less with stupid costumes and crappy reporting/acting plus most of the people look so bored. the only g4 programming i've be able to find interesting is the e3 report with 2 fairly interesting guys, and a documentary on the chronicles of riddick(even though this wasn't very good).
                              G4 just plain old sucks. The kids in my drama class ARE better at acting for the cmaera than these douchebags that they have.
                              WHile some pieces of it are informative, I was doing fine w/ the crap spewed by Adam and Morgan on X-Play(formerly Extended Play, when they had the ugly redhead.)
                              Video games don't nedd a f***ing channel. I remeber hwen Sega tried launching their own tv network. what crap!!!!
                              it is bad enough that people live for video, nad computer games, but now that hter is a channel, we're doomed.
                              I wish Tyler Durden could raise his army and save us all before things get any worse.

Comment

Working...
                              X