Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• War in the Pacific

A website for Gary Grigsby's War in the Pacific is now up:

It covers the entire Pacific War, and is turn-based. If you like wargames and his style of design, then this will be your kind of game.

The second screen just makes me think Battleship.

The website makes me think of Historyline.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

hi ,

an excellent game in the pacific , maybe some one could use it as a model for a C3C scenario , ....

have a nice day
      - RES NON VERBA - DE OPRESSO LIBER - VERITAS ET LIBERTAS - O TOLMON NIKA - SINE PARI - VIGLIA PRETIUM LIBERTAS - SI VIS PACEM , PARA BELLUM -
      - LEGIO PATRIA NOSTRA - one shot , one kill - freedom exists only in a book - everything you always wanted to know about special forces - everything you always wanted to know about Israel - what Dabur does in his free time , ... - in french - “Become an anti-Semitic teacher for 5 Euro only.”
      WHY DOES ISRAEL NEED A SECURITY FENCE --- join in an exceptional demo game > join here forum is now open ! - the new civ Conquest screenshots > go see them UPDATED 07.11.2003 ISRAEL > crisis or challenge ?

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
        The second screen just makes me think Battleship.

The website makes me think of Historyline.
        This will be a highly detailed game about the entire Pacfic War

Anyone familiar with Grigsby's earlier work will know the detail he puts into his games.

Take a look at the map screenshots and the FAQ's on the game.

Cheers!

Comment

Originally posted by panag
          hi ,

an excellent game in the pacific , maybe some one could use it as a model for a C3C scenario , ....

have a nice day
          It's going to be a monster game

I was kinda thinking the same thing. It might serve as an inspiration for people to do a Pacific War scenario in Civ2 and 3.

Cheers!

Comment

It'd be very hard. You could give Japan loads of starting units, but even with a monachy the support would be hell. There's also a problem with the Chines theatre, because you don't get units from villages in Civ.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
              It'd be very hard. You could give Japan loads of starting units, but even with a monachy the support would be hell. There's also a problem with the Chines theatre, because you don't get units from villages in Civ.
              Hi

For Civ2 my conception of a Pacific War scenario would be like this:

1) Start with a Pacific Map

2) Perhaps even use a previous Pacific scenario as a base

3) Use all the latest new unit gifs available

4) Make the scenario playable as only one civ (say as USA)

5) Then make all events geared for the Japanese, and setup the Japanese starting from January, 1942 (AFTER Pearl Harbour). Everything would be geared to challenge the American player.

6) Each island would have a city and name. Thus, when the USA takes, say Guadalcanal, then events would allow for the appearance of Japanese ships and aircraft, etc, to attack the American forces on the island.

7) Events could also be created so that when a Japanese ship is destroyed, then a similar one is created back at Japan or at any location the scenario designer wishes. This way, the scenario creator wouldn't have to rely on AI building units.

I have modified "Hellas" to do this very thing, and playing as Sparta I have been getting a good challenge from The Persian Host attacking me.

8) The scenario designer could also have Japanese ground, air, and sea units created on random turns throughout the scenario. This way, the player would always be challenged. And these newly created Japanese units would not need a home city, and so would not impair Japanese production.

9) As for China: I think the scenario creator could position Japan strategically with the right position and units to really make it tough for the human player.

10) There are also many more tricks that scenario creators could use to make a very challenging Pacific War scenario playable from the USA side (and then doing a scenario playable only as the Japanese).

Cheers!
              Last edited by Leonidas; May 31, 2004, 13:05.

Comment

there is a civ 2 scen by one of the better designer (sorry i have a mental blcok on the name- wait was it Harlen Thompson?) Its very hard to win as Japan (at least for a Civ2 wimp like me) he gives Japan superbattleships via events, gives both Chinese factions partisans by events (Cities not villages) and gives the americans bombers via events (since apparently the AI wont handle them right otherwise) least realistic aspect is when i start building factories and power plants on Yap and Rabaul. I managed to push into India, but was losing my Pacific outposts to those nasty american bombers.

A wargame is a much better solution. Never played a Grigsby game -wasnt there some controversy about a WW2 strat bombing game he did?
                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark
                  there is a civ 2 scen by one of the better designer (sorry i have a mental blcok on the name- wait was it Harlen Thompson?) Its very hard to win as Japan (at least for a Civ2 wimp like me) he gives Japan superbattleships via events, gives both Chinese factions partisans by events (Cities not villages) and gives the americans bombers via events (since apparently the AI wont handle them right otherwise) least realistic aspect is when i start building factories and power plants on Yap and Rabaul. I managed to push into India, but was losing my Pacific outposts to those nasty american bombers.

A wargame is a much better solution. Never played a Grigsby game -wasnt there some controversy about a WW2 strat bombing game he did?
                  I agree that a wargame is a far better solution.

However, one of the apsects I like about Civ2 is that it is VERY moddable in EVERY aspect, so a scenario designer can make it as tough as he wants

I think Harlarn's scenario probably would be a good one to start with. I still think a scenario should be geared to be playable only as one civ to give the greatest challenge.

Gary Grigsby: He's made a lot of wargames such as Battle of Britain, Bombing the Reich, etc, and has made Uncommon Valor and is now almost finished War in the Pacific.

His games have a lot of detail, and if you like to micromanage, then you will be in 7th heaven. No one else is making these types of games.

Bombing the Reich had so much detail, that some people complained about it. But I have played the game, it is quite realistic, and I can say that a person will never see such a grand strategic bombing game as this one again
                  Last edited by Leonidas; June 1, 2004, 10:19.

Comment

to a truly excellent designer.

Carrier Strike and Pacific War were two of his classic designs that really got me into computer wargames.
                    If this new one is anything akin to his previous work then it'll be another 'must have'.

I think underdogs has many of his older games available (Ming can edit this if he really feels the need) for download.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas
                      Gary Grigsby: He's made a lot of wargames such as TOAW, Battle of Britain, Bombing the Reich, etc, and has made Uncommon Valor and is now almost finished War in the Pacific.
                      Isn't it finished? You can download it for free from the Matrix Games site...
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

It will be interesting to see how the land combat model in this game works.

Given the incredibly small areas of land which were actually faught over, I can't see how it can work at the 60 Nautical Mile/hex scale which is being used. The average land campaign in the pacific theatre involved several divisions sluging it out in an area about a tenth of the hexs which are being used.
                        'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                        - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas

Gary Grigsby: He's made a lot of wargames such as TOAW.....
                          If you are referring to The Operational Art of War, that was a Norm Kroger game.
                          "Stuie has the right idea" - Japher
                          "I trust Stuie and all involved." - SlowwHand
                          "Stuie is right...." - Guynemer

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Isn't it finished? You can download it for free from the Matrix Games site...
                            You're probably thinking of Pacific War - the 1992 version can be downloaded free.

The latest version WiTP will be out sometime in late June/early July

Comment

Originally posted by Case
                              It will be interesting to see how the land combat model in this game works.

Given the incredibly small areas of land which were actually faught over, I can't see how it can work at the 60 Nautical Mile/hex scale which is being used. The average land campaign in the pacific theatre involved several divisions sluging it out in an area about a tenth of the hexs which are being used.
                              I think they've made some adjustments for land battles.

I've played UV (similar game) and the land situation works fine

Comment

Working...
                              X