War in the Pacific

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Stuie

If you are referring to The Operational Art of War, that was a Norm Kroger game.
    Oops

You are so right.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas
      You're probably thinking of Pacific War - the 1992 version can be downloaded free.

The latest version WiTP will be out sometime in late June/early July
      They are the same game as far as I can tell. If you click on the official website link of Pacific War, it goes to the one above.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I think Harlarn's scenario probably would be a good one to start with. I still think a scenario should be geared to be playable only as one civ to give the greatest challenge.
        IIRC Harlens scenario is essentially designed for play as Japan.
        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

They are the same game as far as I can tell. If you click on the official website link of Pacific War, it goes to the one above.
          I see.

Matrix may be calling WiTP Pac War for short. But if you browse the website you should see the free version.

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

IIRC Harlens scenario is essentially designed for play as Japan.
            I didn't know.

Perhaps it could be modified or another used instead.

Playing defensively as the Japanese should be easier for the AI

And if the scenario started say around June,1942, then the scenario designer could setup the Japanese forces as they would appear on that date.

Comment

Here's the full map of War in the Pacific (zoomed out). It will be a monster wargame:

Comment

I used to like monster games
                (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger
                  I used to like monster games
                  heheh

Well, with this game you can place yourself in the boots of Nimitz and/or MacArthur, or, as the Japanese supreme commanders.

Every ship, aircraft and pilot from the Pacific War has been modelled in this game

To say that a player will be "replaying" the Pacific War is an understatement.

Thankfully, there will be 15 campaigns that come with the game, with many of them coverig only portions of the war.

And there will be a handy editor for some "what if" scenarios as well.

Cheers!

Comment

Despite my reservations about the land combat engine, I think that I'll add this to my wish list (ie, wargames I'd buy if they were ever released in Australia).
                    'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                    - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

Originally posted by Case
                      Despite my reservations about the land combat engine, I think that I'll add this to my wish list (ie, wargames I'd buy if they were ever released in Australia).
                      I've got it earmarked for purchase as well.

One thing I have learned is that Matrix supports their games

Comment

I didn't know.

Perhaps it could be modified or another used instead.

Playing defensively as the Japanese should be easier for the AI

And if the scenario started say around June,1942, then the scenario designer could setup the Japanese forces as they would appear on that date.
                        Harlens scenario starts in Dec '41. He handles Pearl very well actually.

To get the Anglo-American AI to attack properly, he gives them lots of event based units (in addition to their massive production edge). Still the real core of the scen is the Japanese rush for dominance from Dec '41 to June '42, where the allies are on the defensive. And this period lasts longer in the scen than historically, naturally. At some point the allies are getting so many event driven uber units that Japan cant expand much further (outside China). At that point youve either gotten enough victory points to win or not. Playing out further to wait for the hapless AI to slowly grind you down with its massive numbers of units is rather unsatisfying, and so I didnt finish, once it reached that point.
                        "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Originally posted by lord of the mark

Harlens scenario starts in Dec '41. He handles Pearl very well actually.

To get the Anglo-American AI to attack properly, he gives them lots of event based units (in addition to their massive production edge). Still the real core of the scen is the Japanese rush for dominance from Dec '41 to June '42, where the allies are on the defensive. And this period lasts longer in the scen than historically, naturally. At some point the allies are getting so many event driven uber units that Japan cant expand much further (outside China). At that point youve either gotten enough victory points to win or not. Playing out further to wait for the hapless AI to slowly grind you down with its massive numbers of units is rather unsatisfying, and so I didnt finish, once it reached that point.
                          I know what you mean.

The AI is not that good on offense, except perhaps in Red Front.

This is why I think it might be better if the AI played the Japanese on defense: the scenario designer could setup Japanese forces as they might appear in June, 1942 (already in control and entrenched on many of the islands); give the AI lots of events; and have the player only play the USA, in an attempt to defeat the Japanese.

Comment

Working...
                          X