Spartan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spartan

Anyone played this already? How is it. The review looks great!!

Here's the url:
    "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
    "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

I'd be interested to know how it plays as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Comrade Tassadar
      Platform:
      PC

< snip >

Average Reader Score:
      5.56 out of 10 (17 ratings
      You'd think people know how to follow links around here.

The game's nice. It was quite a success at the GDC this year. It looks a lot like the Total War series though, so if that's your thing, you'll like it; otherwise, probably not.
      XBox Live: VovanSim
      xbox.com (login required)
      Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
      Spore page

Comment

vov,

IMHO the battles are a LOT different from the Total War series, the 'isometric' view of the battles is just that- only a 'view'. You can *pretty much* only chose your initial formations, decide when and how to attack and then if to retreat or not.

The game is turn and tile based for the most part, which goes into the isometric view to show you how the battles pan out, this part of the game is not very interactive at all and you can even turn it off if you like and auto resolve the battles.

The interface is easy to learn and the graphics, while nothing special, are ok

If you like TBS's where you research new units/technologies etc it's a good game (not as good as Civ obviously), but don't buy it if youre expecting a 'Total War' type wargame because its definelty not that.

If you go to Slitherines site theres a demo that contains the training part and the first couple of scenarios.

As a TBS fan I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Comment

I have Legion Gold.

Has Spartan improved over it?

Comment

reds4ever,

Ah, well, I should have been more specific. I thought that the turn-based reminded me of the Total War games. Although I should have said that I have only played Shogun a little bit, and even then only played a battle once, but mostly played the turn-based game auto-resolving the battles. Guess my lack of knowledge of the TW series showed there. Sorry if that caused any confusion.
            XBox Live: VovanSim
            xbox.com (login required)
            Halo 3 Service Record (I fail at FPS...)
            Spore page

Comment

Legion had very weak AI and a friend I trust said the same about Chariots of War. I frankly don't trust Slitherine to produce a good game at this point. The hands-off battles are a novel approach but local commanders should be able to occasionally behave more intelligently than blindly following one plan.
              To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection.
              H.Poincaré

Comment

As a TBS fan, I think, I'll go for it.
                "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Leonidas
                  I have Legion Gold.
                  Has Spartan improved over it?
                  I'd say that it is more of a focus on improved eye candy rather than an improvement on deeper gameplay.

I have tried the demo, and I keeep an eye on the official forums. Here's my take on it.

Based on comments on Slitherine, they have not significantly upgraded the diplomatic angle of the game. On the plus side, they have put in the means to direct your research choices.

They have added more unit types and expanded your army size to 16. AI army composition is still weak, as well as how the AI uses its forces.

The basic premise is like a TBS version of Age of Empires. Build up your economy to stop the incessant military thrusts the AI does against you. It ends up being a little tedious after a few times. Build an army, deploy it, build an army, deploy it, build an army, deploy it...(At least in AOE, you can finish a game after a few hours)

For some players, this might be what they want, but I have enough games that already do that, so why spend the money for another one.

Maybe when it hits the (very) cheap bin...
                  Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                  ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Originally posted by hexagonian

I'd say that it is more of a focus on improved eye candy rather than an improvement on deeper gameplay.

I have tried the demo, and I keeep an eye on the official forums. Here's my take on it.

Based on comments on Slitherine, they have not significantly upgraded the diplomatic angle of the game. On the plus side, they have put in the means to direct your research choices.

They have added more unit types and expanded your army size to 16. AI army composition is still weak, as well as how the AI uses its forces.

The basic premise is like a TBS version of Age of Empires. Build up your economy to stop the incessant military thrusts the AI does against you. It ends up being a little tedious after a few times. Build an army, deploy it, build an army, deploy it, build an army, deploy it...(At least in AOE, you can finish a game after a few hours)

For some players, this might be what they want, but I have enough games that already do that, so why spend the money for another one.

Maybe when it hits the (very) cheap bin...
                    I found Legion Gold got old real fast.

Very simple gameplay.

The "Tactics" mainly consists of positioning your forces in various formations and telling them to either wait or move.

In the end, it all devolved into a mindless slugfest with the AI commanders having no more "tactical" sense than a 5 year old.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
                      As a TBS fan, I think, I'll go for it.
                      Yep, it's a good game not a great one, but us TBSer's arn't exactly spoiled for choice!

BTW Leonidas, where's the avatar from?

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever

Yep, it's a good game not a great one, but us TBSer's arn't exactly spoiled for choice!

BTW Leonidas, where's the avatar from?
                        It was from a picture I saw a long time ago - I cut and re-sized it and used it for my avatar

Comment

You know they're remaking '300 Spartans'?

I always though that would be one hell of a film if it was made by the right people

Comment

Originally posted by reds4ever
                            You know they're remaking '300 Spartans'?

I always though that would be one hell of a film if it was made by the right people
                            Yes.

I think there are two movies being done of the 300 Spartans, and two movies being done on Alexander the Great.

Good times ahead for historical movies

Comment

I know it was n't exactly 'historical' but I think weve got Gladiator to thank for the likes of the Alexander flims, Troy and the Spartan films getting the nessarcery funding.

BTW and thoughts on Colin Farell as Alexander? I have my doubts........

Comment

Working...
                              X