I'm With Stupid LIV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm With Stupid LIV

You are lucky. This was nearly a quiz about postcodes.

quote:
    quote:
    All answers are allowed. However, scoring is not based on what the "correct" answer is . It is based on how many other participants choose the same answer. So, for example, if I ask what fruit is the greatest, and 17 people say "banana," each person who answered "banana" will get 17 points for that question. If someone says "mango," and they're the only one, they will get 1 point for that question.

However, the answer doesn't have to even fit the criteria. If two people answer "My irrepressible genital herpes" when asked what fruit is the greatest, they will still get two points for that question.

Your individual score will be the total of your scores for all questions.
    Remember to send the answers to me via PM, rather than posting them in the thread, and please bump the thread when you send.

1. How did the elephant get its trunk?
    2. How long is a London Bus?
    3. Show me the money.
    4. How many radishes can you fit in your mouth at once?
    5. Did you just try that to find out?
    6. Think of a number. Multiply it by 9, and add the digits together. Keep adding until you get a single digit. Subtract five. Take the digith number and find a country beginning with that letter. What proportion of people pick Denmark?
    7. Explain why abstract questions.
    8. How many surrealists does it take to change a lightbulb?
    9. How many people will guess the most popular answer to question 8?
    10. Which airline will get me the cheapest flight to New Zealand?

Answers on a postcard by this time next week. Cheerybye.
    Last edited by Immortal Wombat; May 27, 2004, 16:31.
    Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
    "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

How did you get from game 43 to 54?

Any feedback on my program would be good .

Comment

On this resolution it looks like question 6 is unfinished and followed by another question 5 (as illustrated below), which puzzled me (apologies if this was intentional obfuscation).

Also, I'm sure there's no such word as 'digith'...
      Attached Files

Comment

How did you get from game 43 to 54?
        I dunno. In the OT it's game 14 again.

The obfuscation was accidental, but sublime. Should it be 'digit'th?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Number 3 is not a question, but a demand.
          Number 6 appears to be incomplete.
          Number 5 appears twice.
          The second question 5 is impossible to answer without blindly guessing.
          Number 7 is also incomplete. Explain why abstract questions do what?

I fail to see how anyone can hope to answer these questions correctly.

-Jam
          1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
          That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
          Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
          Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

"ones".

sent.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Re: I'm With Stupid LIV

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
              5. Did you just try that to find out?
              6. Think of a number. Multiply it be 9, and add the digits together. Keep adding until you get a single digit. Subtract 5. Take the digith number and find a country beginning with that letter. What proportion of people pick Denmark?
              For people with sucky monitor resolutions.
              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Any number multiplied by 9 and reduced in this way seems to result in 9.

1x9 = 9
                2x9 = 18 = 1+8 = 9
                3x9 = 27 = 2+7 = 9
                10x9 = 90 = 9+0 = 9
                11x9 = 99 = 9+9 = 18 = 1+8 = 9
                143x9 = 1287 = 18 = 9
                6154x9 = 55386 = 27 = 9

Subtracting 5 gives us 4, and as the fourth letter of the alphabet is D... well, there aren't many countries that begin with D.

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                  Any number multiplied by 9 and reduced in this way seems to result in 9.
                  Didn't they teach you about this method for detecting multiples of 9 in school?

In fact, a simple proof by induction shows that, when you work in base b, for all non-negative integers n, the digit sum of n is congruent to n modulo b-1. In particular, when working in base 10, as we usually do, they are congruent modulo 9. Thus, if you begin with a multiple of 9 and add the digits together you will always get a multiple of 9. If you continue until the number which remains is only a single digit (and another simple proof by induction shows that you will always eventually get to a single digit), you must get a single digit multiple of 9, which will be either 0 or 9. Of course, unless you happen to choose 0 to start with, you can only get 9.

Of course, being a mathematician, when someone asks my to think of a number, I never choose a positive integer, which would be far too obvious. I usually go for pi, and in this example choosing pi leads to all sorts of problems.

If you want to be slightly less perverse, start with zero, or possibly 5/9 .

I must also take this opportunity to register an objection to statements like '1287 = 18'.

Comment

Democratic Republic of Congo

Oh, sent.

JBtW: 1337 = w00t!, where 7>w>5, and t=7^n.

Comment

Originally posted by Jamski
                      Number 3 is not a question, but a demand.
                      Number 6 appears to be incomplete.
                      Number 5 appears twice.
                      The second question 5 is impossible to answer without blindly guessing.
                      Number 7 is also incomplete. Explain why abstract questions do what?

I fail to see how anyone can hope to answer these questions correctly.
                      Who said they had to be questions? Answering correctly isn't the point anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
                        Democratic Republic of Congo
                        Dominica, Dominican Republic, Djibouti. That is all.

Now everyone stop giving stuff away

Comment

Of course, being a mathematician, when someone asks my to think of a number, I never choose a positive integer, which would be far too obvious. I usually go for pi, and in this example choosing pi leads to all sorts of problems.
                          But I expect people will guess real numbers, right?

Dominica, Dominican Republic, Djibouti. That is all.
                          But I expect people will guess real countries, right?

Who said they had to be questions? Answering correctly isn't the point anyway.
                          You did in your introduction:
                          [quote]Your individual score will be the total of your scores for all questions.[quote]
                          Therefore the score for 3 and 7 cannot be counted

(this is fun)

-Jam

Comment

Silly Jamski. Your get your score by counting how many people gave the same answer as you.

So for number six you may think that everybody picked Denmark and I may think that nobody did it (which very likely to be not true). But if Skandy thinks as I do then we both get 2 points while you'll only get 1 point if nobody is as silly as you.
                            Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Skandy?
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X