Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kody
    *yawns*
    Sent a reply to your PM Enigma, atm I'm indecisive.
    Is this diplomatic contact without your factions having met each other ingame?

Just checking...
    He who knows others is wise.
    He who knows himself is enlightened.
    -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Didn't I read somewhere MWs don't destroy bases until after MY2150.
      I think mindworms will never destory your last base, and I've seen a base have a network node destoried while not being destoried.

Is this diplomatic contact without your factions having met each other ingame?

Just checking...
      Yeah sorry it was diplomatic contact. However, nothing came of it so it's okay. If anyone wants to examine the messages I'll be willing to hand them over.

Comment

• Actually here's my responses, so you know it's all above ball.

RE: URGENT: Heart of Fire - READ BEFORE PLAYING TURN
        I didn't reject your proposal outright because I knew you'll think it has more implications than arguments about waiting for ingame contact.

While the offer interests me I don't think I can accept it, not yet at least. I'm going to wait until normal ingame contact and then things can develop. I want to make decisions based on clear discuss between us not inneundo about pacting.

As I'm publically stated already I've already decided to let you rebuild. However, what I didn't know was if I really wanted contact with you. I have nothing to offer you trade wise and while I'm willing to let you rebuild. I'm not interested in helping someone rebuild that is just going to turn on me later.

Wait until ingame contact then I'll be more willing to discuss issues with you. At the moment I'm not planning on heading straight to your base so it may be a while. I guess I need time to first figure out what the implications of helping you will mean first.
        RE: RE: RE: URGENT: Heart of Fire - READ BEFORE PLAYING TURN
        I want to try keep my actions in this game legal. The cheating in the ACDG wasn't a good thing, and I regreted my actions. I will talk to you when we get ingame contact.

Before that please don't tempt me by trying to open up negotiations via PM. I've already given you far more information than I should.
        Referencing information in the first PM and also information I've given in the turn tracking thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kody
          The cheating in the ACDG wasn't a good thing, and I regreted my actions.
          You did?
          -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Mindworms:

Before 2115, they are penalized harshly on attack and defense

Before 2150, they are penalized harshly when attacking a defended base

At all times, if a mindworm attacks an undefended base, the worm disappears, the base loses 1 pop (destroying it if that was the last), and the base loses a facility if it has any left.
            "Cutlery confused Stalin"
            -BBC news

Comment

• Well to start off before I started playing the turns, I walked a colony pod right into a drone scout patrol. Then I told my faction about it, and a hive scout instead met the drone scout patrol.

That's my first bit of cheating I'm embrassed to say. My excuse although weak, was I was a complete newbie to the game and this place in general.

I don't have an excuse why it continued... Peer pressure? The cheating was quite prolific during the last ACDG. I'm not going to label factions, but the Hive copied cheating tactics from other factions. Hey look what they're doing, hrmm well if they're doing it then it's only fair we do the same.

And we pushed a few techniques that would probably called illegal past Googlie, in the same way that the cycon did. We simply used them and posted the details in the forum. I actually posted some of the illegal techniques (well I thought they were) in the strategy forum, but it seems nobody commented about their legality. Not sure whether to take it that using them is okay or not.

Comment

• While I wasn't involved at the start myself, but I think the whole cheating thing started with diplomatic agreements before in game contact. What happened was the people involved got a slap on the wrist and were told not to do it again. The Hive spent the first 6 months knowing they already had a surefire pact with a faction they hadn't made contact with. That sort of lead to people pushing for whatever they could get away with since it seemed you only got a private slap on the wrist for doing something not explicitedly stated as wrong.

Also many of the players involved at the start weren't really PBEMers so there wasn't the whole issue of code of honour that you see with PBEM games.

Comment

• Hmmm I'm really not sure about the ACDG thing. As far as I know Kody was talking about the "super teraforming" exploit. We have claimed that it is illegal in this game. We also claimed that it is illegal for the next ACDG. However I do not think it is forbidden in the current ACDG game. The reason I believe is when we discovered it it has already been used by some people for some time so Googlie(?) decided we are not going to forbid this in this current game. While you can call this generally an exploit, I wouldn't say that the Hive doing so in the current game is cheating. Right now I'm not using that technique diligently for the part that I play, simply because it is too tedious and time consuming and I don't have enough time for it. But I still do it occassionally. If it is deemed as cheating I would never do it.

As for diplomatic relations before in game contact, I believe Kody is referring to the Hive CC love fest in the beginning of the game. I do not think that it is cheating either. Basically people were simply expressing good intentions toward each other. However nothing really game related was formed. No information exchange or anything like that had occured. At least not that I'm aware of. If it did, then it wouldn't end up with Hive and CC became rivals in the end. Just my opinion.
                  Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

• Honghu, lets just say I know alot more than you do about the activities.

It went something like this.
                    "University is a threat, and so are the Drones"
                    "So as soon as we meet we're agreed to pact"
                    "Agreed"

Then there were the two moles, and the two wannabe pretend moles *rolls eyes*.

There's other stuff too that follows along the same line of information extraction.

Also when I found out the cycon knew where all the bases were, I simply spent a few hours figuring out cheats and made a list of all the bases in the world. Threw back a portion of that list to the Cycon and posted the complete list in the Hive and Drone-Hive embassy.

Plus remember the trick I posted in the strategy forum about starvation and resource pulsing. I'm think that's illegal, because the nutrient drop is negatively capped. Nobody picked me up on that except Vev, even though I explained it to many people, but I know deep down that the game designers didn't mean to let people feed their bases with only half the food.

Crawler auto rehoming is another illegal thing, if people actually tried the crawler rehoming strategy I talked about in the strategy forum, they'll realise that you're basically getting double the mineral output from your crawlers every time you try it.

These cheats were basically pushed past Googlie crouched in technical jargon.

Comment

• What's crawler autorehoming? I remember something to this effect posted a while back, but how do you come up with double the output?

Resource pulsing seems entirely legitimate to me. Of course the designers didn't intend for you to feed a base with half the food, but they didn't intend for a lot of things.
                      "Cutlery confused Stalin"
                      -BBC news

Comment

• Jeezz, and all that for a game? You must have spent whole days figuring out these things.

Was it worth it IYO?
                        -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Ahh yes another of my dirty exploits. Remember how I people asked how I was figuring out the global b-drones list, well I was rather evasive about that.

Well I asked Googlie if we were allowed to open a old save and play with the bases we wouldn't normally do. He said yes.

I then proceeded to destruct bases in the old save file to figure out the b-drone levels.

Comment

• I guess it works similar as disbanding bases by producing colony pods. It's a SP habit of me on worthless conquered bases, and I'm offen bugged by how drones jump to other bases when a base is disbanded in such a way.
                            -- Lao Tsu

SMAC(X) Marsscenario

Comment

• Jeezz, and all that for a game? You must have spent whole days figuring out these things.

Was it worth it IYO?
                              Actually I spent months crawling through strategy possibilities. It would have been alot faster if I wasn't learning things like what the heck a crawler was as I was going along.

It wasn't really worth it because I ended up with a dirty feeling of looking for exploits. Although I found a few new tactics that are non-cheats, the other half were dodgy.

What's crawler autorehoming? I remember something to this effect posted a while back, but how do you come up with double the output?
                              When you're using pod booming you build a colony pod and abadon base, and the units are rehomed. If you set it up so the nearest base has a larger base build tag then the crawler adds to the production of that base in addition to being used to build the colony pod. I think the Hive managed to extract an extra 3 crawlers worth of minerals using this tactic.

Resource pulsing seems entirely legitimate to me. Of course the designers didn't intend for you to feed a base with half the food, but they didn't intend for a lot of things.
                              Really I was told by my friend it was an exploit, but I still used it anyway.

Proved that it works too. I wonder what Jamski would give to extract the information from me to help his spartan faction.

Comment

• In other news I figured out a legal new strategy for making decent money when you're a spartan player just 1 hour ago. *grins to himself at his own cleverness*
                                Oh brilliant, I just realised something! It's not capped!

Meaning in later in the game it'll be much better investment wise than crawlers.

Comment

Working...
                                X