Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

idea pertaining to newbs and games (Mafia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idea pertaining to newbs and games (Mafia)

It was suggested that newbs make their own "version" of mafia to play in. I think this is a good idea seeing as how alot of newbs (apparently) have tried to join the games and the usuall suspects are hesitant to allow settlers to play (ex. me get the boot ) . Anyway, the only problem I see with that is I know I would make a crappy gm and I am sure most newbs will. Question is, do any of the regulars have time to gm a newb game, or to teach a newb to gm???? Just a thought.
    Why are you wasting your time at 'poly? You should be out alongside Supercitizen, fighting the good fight! -duke o' york

I suggested a spin-off (equally accessible to anyone) just a minute ago.

I wouldn't mind hosting a game, if there's enough interest, but I couldn't host it until next Tuesday.
    However, in the meantime, we could discuss the setup of such a spin-off.

Comment

I like it. It will eliminate the fear that the regulars on Mafia seem to have about people not playing actively and it will give all the newb's a chance to play.

Comment

The standing rules of Mafia itself are very sound (minus the piling I guess ), therefore making it hard to really create a true "spinoff" in terms of making it diffrent and still giving us settlers some experience. Ideas are welcome though. I do appreciate the offer to host zop and I guess if I ever grow some creativity I could try to gm for the settler games.

Edit: of course playing with the pros and haveing a quick gruesome death is always fun too. Seeing as how I am a settler, i guess all I can do is leave it up to you all.
        Why are you wasting your time at 'poly? You should be out alongside Supercitizen, fighting the good fight! -duke o' york

Comment

this would be great for all of us... not even the newbs. I know I often miss the signup and you'd certainly need more than just the newbs to fill up slots.

Just make sure people who are in the other Mafia game can't jump in to this one as well, eh?
          I'm not conceited, conceit is a fault and I have no faults...

Civ and WoW are my crack... just one... more... turn...

Comment

Yes, that should be an obvious rule

A second game can help balance the load as well. The current 28-man game we have is quite big.

I do propose to not call it Mafia, but to go with something like "Gangsters" just to make a distinction.

Comment

How about having one game where priority is given to those with the fewest posts, and another where the priority is reversed...

Probably too much bother.

Comment

Well, if we coordinated the starting times, the ones in the "pro" game could check the settler game list so as not to have duel players. I would also like to note that I am wondering about other games like nuclear war and maybe gladiator (haven't had time to catch up on how gladiator works yet though). I 'd like to match my wits and weapons against some ususpecting cities.

Edit: load balance is a good idea too. Don't know how well mafia would work with 45 players......probably take forever and need like 8 mafioso

Comment

The problem with this idea, is that you may not have many newbies venture in this deep. Of course this can be a mini version with one mafia and something like 12 people. But it is likely this game will be shorter in average compare to the other one. And if you want to time them together that means some waiting period between the games.
                  Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Good point. Question: how many people missed and/or were rejected from the current game? this could give a little more accuret reading if another game is needed. Then again there is always first come/first serve which is undoubtedly easier.

Comment

Maybe it could work with half the people and a more relaxed turn structure, such as 48 hours voting each round or what have you.

Regarding other games we have here (Nuclear War or Gladiator, for instance) generally we can use all the players we can get. NW should be over after another three rounds, so expect to see the signup for that shortly. IOW feel free to join.
                      Last edited by Skanky Burns; May 20, 2004, 13:00.
                      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

well, the whole point of this is so that newb's can get some experience in the game so that the higher level guys will let us play. It doesn't matter if it's shorter than average.

Comment

Originally posted by HongHu
                          The problem with this idea, is that you may not have many newbies venture in this deep. Of course this can be a mini version with one mafia and something like 12 people. But it is likely this game will be shorter in average compare to the other one. And if you want to time them together that means some waiting period between the games.
                          Here's where load-balancing could come in handy. We can reduce the player pool for Mafia from 28 to 20-24 and direct those slots to "Gangsters" making them more equal and more manageable.

Comment

Ok, Current ideas;

1. First come/First serve (excluding settlers)

2. First come/First serve all welcome

3. Dual games (only problem is short, will run through alot of ideas fast, you might not get to kill your favorite target)

Comment

There is FlameFlash, alva, Spiffor, Vlad, Vovan, Drogue, Frozzy... Reducing the current game to 20 frees up another 8 warm bodies for the 2nd game.

This could probably work, methinks.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Working...
                              X