Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

idea pertaining to newbs and games (Mafia)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Might as well mention it here, as Zopperoni suggested.

*tko's anti-docpiling tirade in Mafia XIX got me thinking about trying out a closed ballot in the spin-off. How do you think this would change the nature of the game? We could also allow people to post whoever they want to say they voted, but the truth could be different. That'd add a whole new cloak-and-dagger aspect to it.

It would certainly reduce docpiling since people won't be so afraid of being singled out. On the other hand, it gives the villagers quite an advantage when the mafia won't have a clue as to who might be a danger. When I was mafia, a large part of my strategy was following how the villagers voted and planning my kills based on that. So we'd need some sort of a stabilizing agent added with the closed ballot, lest we'll be seeing even fewer and fewer Mafia victories.

In fact, there are so few already that we should think about some sort of advantage for the mafia. How about three mafias in a game of > 20 people instead of two? Or should we get our hands dirty with the actual game mechanics?
    Cake and grief counseling will be available at the conclusion of the test. Thank you for helping us help you help us all!

Comment

Or mafias could know each other and they can win together in the end.

And the secret ballot is a good idea, as long as people still can discuss and share their thought so that the secret votes are not entirely random.
      Be good, and if at first you don't succeed, perhaps failure will be back in fashion soon. -- teh Spamski

Grapefruit Garden

Comment

Originally posted by duke o' york
        I find it very suspicious that a settler would actually read some of the threads before commenting on them.

Why are you wasting your time at 'poly? You should be out alongside Supercitizen, fighting the good fight!
        Well, how stupid would i look if i went back to the OTF and asked what a docpile was??And it's not hard to figure it out when someone goes "ok docpile me now, everyone vote for [insert speaker's name]". I waste my time here because......... frankly i have no life.
        Last edited by Trokair; May 21, 2004, 12:06.
        Why are you wasting your time at 'poly? You should be out alongside Supercitizen, fighting the good fight! -duke o' york

Comment

How long did you lurk?
          I'm consitently stupid- Japher
          I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

That is exactly what I said in mafia 3. Were you lurking that long?

Comment

He's ljcvetko's DL!
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

You got me !!!

Comment

Uhm, I don't know the rules of MAFIA, can some one direct me to them... thanks.

To me, your threads look like a bunch of dribble followed by someone whinning about being killed.

I don't get it.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Zopperoni
                    It can still deviate by a week or so depending on if and how quickly the Mafia is caught.
                    I think allowing "dead" players to cross over would still be the easiest way of keeping two independent games while still shuffling the player pool somewhat.
                    Sure, but at least there wont be much time between them, in case if game1 ends early (fastest after 4 rounds) and game2 ends with the mafia wins (16-20 rounds)... (Taken if there's 2 mafia)... but the chances of getting both mafias in two votings is very little...

When the first game ends, the signup thread for both games could start, when the last game ends, the signed up players will then be randomly divided between those two games (This way it's not always the same people fighting the same people)
                    This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

To me, your threads look like a bunch of dribble followed by someone whinning about being killed.

I don't get it.
                      Look in the "History of Mafia" thread.

-Jam
                      1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                      That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                      Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                      Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

I don't get it.
                        I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Perhaps we should get the "current rules" of all the other games ruls and put them in on post and have Rah top it. The person (without a life) that posts it would be responsible for editing as the rules mature. My vote goes to Jamski.
                          We're sorry, the voices in my head are not available at this time. Please try back again soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Kassiopeia
                            Might as well mention it here, as Zopperoni suggested.

*tko's anti-docpiling tirade in Mafia XIX got me thinking about trying out a closed ballot in the spin-off. How do you think this would change the nature of the game? We could also allow people to post whoever they want to say they voted, but the truth could be different. That'd add a whole new cloak-and-dagger aspect to it.
                            I have advocated this a few times.

I think HH has a good idea to help out the Mafia, by letting them know each other so at the very least there is no chance of killing themselves off... at least, by accident.
                            "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                            "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Spaced Cowboy
                              Perhaps we should get the "current rules" of all the other games ruls and put them in on post and have Rah top it. The person (without a life) that posts it would be responsible for editing as the rules mature. My vote goes to Jamski.
                              If Jam doesn't want to do it, I'll volunteer.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

You could always just post the rules at the beginning of each game, like we do for hangman.
                                ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Working...
                                X