AU 503: Pillage and Plunder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AU 503: Pillage and Plunder

Welcome to the third C3C Apolyton University class: Pillage and Plunder. In AU 503 we will learn how to bring the AI to its knees using hit-and run tactics. Pillaging and worker stealing will allow you to destroy the economy of your neighbors while yours prospers.

The Chasqui scout is not a cost-effective unit for fighting, but due to its high movement it can be used for pillaging. A textbook example of this strategy can be found in Aeson’s game in Testing the Jaguar Warrior. You are strongly encouraged to read that thread before attempting AU 503.

Note that there are no special restrictions for this game. You are free to play as you like. However, you might find that ancient-age pillaging tactics might give your Incas the best chance for victory on this map.

Another element of the game we shall be investigating in AU 503 will be a start without immediate access to fresh water with an agricultural Civilization. The Agricultural trait is hailed as the best trait in Civ3, but is it still useful even when we don’t start next to a river?

Finally, we will keep an eye on the availability of resources, and how it affects our strategic decisions and our relationships with the AI. AU mod version 1.05 has increased the appearance ratio of coal, so this game (even the stock rules version) has more coal than an average C3C map.

Good luck! May you enjoy Aeson-like pillaging tactics and may we enjoy Catt-like DARs.

Game parameters:
    Pachacuti of the Incas (Chasqui Scout)
    Size: Standard
    Form: Continents, 70% water.
    Climate: Arid, Warm, 3 billion years.
    Barbarians: Roaming
    Difficulty: Regent to Sid.
    Note: This game is probably harder than average for a given level.

Links to DAR threads
    DAR1: Up to 2150 BC
    DAR2: Up to 1000 BC
    DAR3: Contact with all civilizations
    DAR4: Steam Power
    DAR5: Flight
    DAR6: Endgame
    Post-game comments
    Attached Files
    Last edited by alexman; May 28, 2004, 22:01.

AU mod version

The attached zip file contains the saves for the AU mod version of this course.

The file also contains the AU mod v1.05 readme.

If you want the civilopedia to display all the AU mod changes, you might want to also install the civilopedia.txt file from the AU mod thread.
    Attached Files

Comment

Stock version

The attached file contains the stock version of the course. Regent to Sid difficulty levels.
      Attached Files

Comment

I'm going to try this at soon as I get my new computer.
        And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

whoot! first to download
          what changes were made to the Chasqui Scout in the AU mod? Perhaps someone should list the changes for those of us that don't follow all the AU threads closely.

Comment

Peasoup, the AU mod readme is included in the zip file.

Comment

Give this a go tomorrow
              I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

alex: I'm getting a read error when loading the AU mod Emperor version

Comment

Anyone else having problems?
                  Make sure you are using the 1.22 patch.

Comment

I had no trouble loading the Emperor AU Mod version under 1.22.
                    Last edited by nbarclay; May 16, 2004, 10:47.

Comment

Yay

Fourth to download

I probably wont have much time this week, but I have a long flight to eastern europe comming up next weekend, I definately try it by then
                      *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Make sure you are using the 1.22 patch.
                        Ah, sorry, didn't realize it was 1.22. Oh well, none for me yet, then; I'm not upgrading until all of my PBEMs do so, and I'm not doing a dual-install. Guess I'll catch this in a few weeks, then...

Comment

Originally posted by ZargonX

Ah, sorry, didn't realize it was 1.22. Oh well, none for me yet, then; I'm not upgrading until all of my PBEMs do so, and I'm not doing a dual-install. Guess I'll catch this in a few weeks, then...
                          I kind of wish i had made that decision :sigh:

This 1.22 vs 1.15 nonsense is getting VERY OLD.
                          *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Downloaded the stock version. I'll hopefully try it out soon enough.
                            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
                            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
                            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

How do I put this? alexman is one of the more sadistic people I know. This rivals SVC in difficulty, but if you try to pillage, it gets even worse
                              You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

Working...
                              X