No announcement yet.

New Mafia Scoring system discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd be more in favor of PMed clues if people actually, you know, posted them in-character with some story, rather than just doing a mechanical quote of the PM.

Also, a far simpler method than naming 3 people exists. Just vary the number of clues you hand out. Some rounds, send out one clue; some, three; maybe even four if it's appropriate.
    All syllogisms have three parts.
    Therefore this is not a syllogism.

Comment

But then there is no motive to submit received clues.

"Hey, I got a clue! But last time I posted it, people started voting for me. I think I'll just keep it to myself."

The naming people who got clues not only encourages the posting of said clues, but prevents (or should prevent) the associated risk of docpiling.
      I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

Docpiling will conitnue whilst there is areward for lasting the longest....

most people wait till others have voted then vote the same jsut to try and stay "under the radar"
        GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

Originally posted by SnowFire
          I'd be more in favor of PMed clues if people actually, you know, posted them in-character with some story, rather than just doing a mechanical quote of the PM.
          yep, but the problem is still there: People wont post them...

But how about if there's a penality to those who recieve clues, but don't post them, like giving them -1 for each time it happens?
          This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

all things are possible...

this is a great discussion , hope to get some agreement before next game ...

Comment

I'm in favor of naming 3 people for clues, we certainly can try it and see. Also putting negative scorers on the 'wait list'. I wouldn't ban them.

I wouldn't give points for surviving a round, since the person doesn't have a lot of control over who the mafia axes, or docpiles. Likewise I wouldn't give a point for voting, since you should anyway. But there can be good reasons for not voting in one round. Most points should be awarded from the GM, IMHO, for the following:
              • -1 for each consecutive round of not voting. An additional penalty (-1 to -3) if the GM thinks you've been absent for a good portion of the game.
              • +5 to mafia for surviving halfway through.
              • +10 more if they win, for a total of +15.
              • Bonus award for exceptional In Character play (+1 to +5, determined by GM).
              • Bonus award for actively attempting to figure out clues (as above).
              • +5 points for deducing clues correctly and +5 more if one can name mafia with the clue.

The only penalty is being put on the 'wait list' (if an overall negative score), but I think that the top two scorers should get:

auto-induction next game
              select the 'theme style' of the next game (pirates, spaceship, etc.)
              to determine if they want to be mafia or not

The last idea would obviously start a docpile on the top scorers, so the GM would have to keep positive scores secret, informing only thru PM, and announce only at the end of the following game.
              I'm consitently stupid- Japher
              I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Its a good job I don't have a life or anything....

But hey! We have a "guest GM" for the next game, Duke

Let's try ALL the new ideas on his shift

-Jam
                1) The crappy metaspam is an affront to the true manner of the artform. - Dauphin
                That's like trying to overninja a ninja when you aren't a mammal. CAN'T BE DONE. - Kassi on doublecrossing Ljube-ljcvetko
                Check out the ALL NEW Galactic Overlord Website for v2.0 and the Napoleonic Overlord Website or even the Galactic Captians Website Thanks Geocities!
                Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.

Comment

We're posting on a weekend. Obviously none of us have lives.

(and some of us have to do work-related crap- @ no extra charge of course )
                  I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                  I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Theban: That's way to complicated. The overall idea is to reward clue searching.
                    But Docpiling also is part and parcel of the fun of the game.

I thought Ras's idea was a way of identifying 1-2 winners if the villlage won and there was more than three survivors. That is reward those who tried to solve the clues if they survived as opposed to those who merely survived. So surviving by staying below the radar was not enough.
                    On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

There could well be games where there is no distinguishing players , well so be it.
                      On the ISDG 2012 team at the heart of CiviLIZation

Comment

my whole attempt at this is to ty and get people looking for th elcues and using them... rewarding those that do....

Comment

Fair enough if you want to play for points, but I'll be playing for the love of the game. It's the taking part that counts!

Comment

true, it is fun , but anything that may add a little more interest to the game cant hurt...

Comment

Unless it detracts from the interest of the GM, who has to do lots of work already. I hope the clues idea gets off the ground this time.
                              I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

the actual scoring system i suggested i prepared to maintain if the gM too busy ..

Comment

Working...
                                X