Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cities on mountains

Idea:

Have a civ that can build cities in mountains and maybe get some extra bonuses (food I guess) on mountains. Together with the defense bonus it would be a nice feat....

...I guess....

the Incas can in the Mesoamerica scenario. (although I think that particlular scenario allows every civ to build on mountains). I'm not sure if that can be restricted to one civ.

Comment

With that, it is actually a little more FUN to also allow building cities smack on top of volcanos! Try it! There is nothing like dissappearing cities, especially when it is one of your rivals!

And hey, and it is even historically accurate, what a plus.
      The Graveyard Keeper
      Of Creation Forum
      If I can't answer you don't worry
      I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Why do you want to build cities on mountains?

Defensive bonus is nice, but why else?

Not a lot of food in mountains.
        *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

No er, not until you mod it a little.
          The Graveyard Keeper
          Of Creation Forum
          I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Mountain Goat pie all round!!!!!!
            "Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender B. Rodriguez

Comment

The food from a city centre doesn't depend on the underlaying terrain - mountain cities still collect 2 food.

Whether terrain is settleable is a global switch - all civs can or none.

There's a possible workaround, tho: set the settlers of the civs not supposed to have mountain cites as wheeled, and keep mountains impassable to wheeled. To be foolproof, you'd also have to forbid roads on mountains, otherwise the wheeled settlers can still get there if someone builds a road there first, but the AI isn't smart enough to do that. Players will, of course.
              Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
              The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

On a historical fact, the Incas (that builded cities in mountains) had irrigation terraces from where they collected food. In the Machu Picchu ruins you can see them clearly.
                Last edited by Chilean Presidentâ„¢; May 7, 2004, 18:06.
                >>> El cine se lee en dvdplay <<<

Comment

Theres no land on Earth thats totally without food capability, not even polar ice caps or the hottest deserts. But im not sure how much a single food icon in the game is meant to represent.

Comment

Clearly no specific amount, since each citizen eats the same number despite representing varying numbers of people.

While you can gather a bit of food even on polar ice caps, it's way too little to support the tiniest city. Same goes for any reasonably dry desert.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

It could support a settlement, eskimos manage it at the poles anyhow. Certainly something the size of a village would be out of the question though

Comment

It doesn't. The Eskimoes are dependant on sea foods for a large proportion of their caloric needs.

Comment

Your point, Last Conformist is a good one. In modding I didn't put a bunch of food for Mountains tiles, rather I upped everyting else, coast, hills, resources etc. So when one plops a city on a mountain tile it is the tiles close by returning much, that makes it feasible. The reason, I guess is to keep some practical thinking in the set-up. Increases the feeling of the whole thing being at least somewhat plausible.
                          The Graveyard Keeper
                          Of Creation Forum
                          I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

can you imagine how unstabilizing the defensive bonus on a mountian is?

A spearman forted on a mountian city with a wall has a defense of 7.5. Not even an Immortal can crack that consistently. (now imagine cheap Enkidus)
                            A true ally stabs you in the front.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Comment

Your completely right of course! Pray it is next to or on a Volcano! Well, otherwise, from a modder's, tinker's point of view, this 'mountain defensive quandary' just sets the game afoot. For it gives handy license to create 'a whole line of Mountain busters'!
                              The Graveyard Keeper
                              Of Creation Forum
                              I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Working...
                              X