about mongol

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• about mongol

I've been playing civ3 for some time and reading for as long. I have a question. I know all the strategies, all the loop hole etc. but anyone feel that the mongol civilization is now what is should be ? Think of it, they had the grandest empire of all humankind, the best archer and warrior, and the fastest warrior unit and yet, the only thing in civilization 3 they can do is being able to traverse mountain as they were grass land.

come on, I think they eserve better. I am not a mongol (I am as a matter of a fact a french canadian) but hell, they had the biggest earthly empire any humain could aspire to (even the britain).

Francis

Your complaint is that the Mongols are not overpowered? Or just that the Keshik isn't that exciting as UUs go?
    Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
    The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I'd have to agree that the mongolian UU is quite boring, in my opinion, their UU comes too late, because by then, their expansionist trait is totally useless, and the UU advantage is not particularly useful in capturing hundreds of cities. That said, the movement ability does help in terrorizing workers, longbowmen, med. infantry, etc etc

Comment

my complaint is about the Keshik being a boring UU. They should treat all terrain as grassland and be at 5.2.2 at less. Just my humble opinion.

Comment

An attack of five might be a little much.

I've personally always felt that the Keshik should be what the Ansar Warrior is.

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

I guess they're a little map dependent, and so can be good on maps with lots of rough terrain.

I used to think the Spanish Conquistador was a terrible UU too....3/2/2 at Astronomy is already out of date. That is, until I experienced an AI Conq. calmly trot over forests and mountains 6 tiles into the core of my territory and capture an unguarded city!
            So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
            Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

but expansionistic suffers in mountainous terrain.

they get jipped either way
              :-p

Comment

one thing good thougt, they don't need iron and cost only 60 shield. So one time I've built about 150-200 unit, waited until cavalry, upgraded them and purge the planet of the non-pure race on it

But still, they should be like the Ansar warrior like Last Conformist said.

Comment

It is the cheap cost that makes the unit.

I disagree profoundly that the unit is any less exciting than any other knight level unit. GREAT timing for a UU. Yes, your expansionist trait is done by then, what better time to trigger a GA?

With the CHEAPER knight, you also can easily build more numbers of them than your standard opponent. The mountain movement is a little map dependant, and I would like hills added to that ability, but other than that the Mongols are one of my preferred civs at the end of the day.

Then...I'm not called UnOrthOdOx for following convention...
                  Last edited by UnOrthOdOx; May 1, 2004, 22:44.
                  One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
                  You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

You honestly hold the Keshik to be on par with the Ansar Warrior? It does require Iron and is slower on mountains, but equal speed on hills, jungles and volcanoes, and faster on any other terrain. I'd chose the Ansar any day of the week.

Then you've got the Rider, which costs a mere 17% more, has the same movement advantages as the Ansar, and has a 50% better defense. Again, I know what I prefer.

Comment

resource dependence is a much larger weakness in c3c.

keshik is balanced. it could be better, it could be tweaked, but its reasonable as it is.

buying upgrading unit is much more costly in c3c.
                      :-p

Comment

I'm not saying the Keshik is bad, merely that it does not compare with the Rider or Ansar (which, IMHO, with the Sipahi make up the three best UUs in the game).

Comment

Not if the Persians go KAI on them first
                          Sorry, but a top-list of UU's without Persians isn't a top list
                          It's all my territory really, they just squat on it...!
                          She didn't declare war on me, she's just playing 'hard to get'...

Comment

Originally posted by UnOrthOdOx
                            It is the cheap cost that makes the unit.

I disagree profoundly that the unit is any less exciting than any other knight level unit. GREAT timing for a UU. Yes, your expansionist trait is done by then, what better time to trigger a GA?

With the CHEAPER knight, you also can easily build more numbers of them than your standard opponent. The mountain movement is a little map dependant, and I would like hills added to that ability, but other than that the Mongols are one of my preferred civs at the end of the day.

Then...I'm not called UnOrthOdOx for following convention...
                            Meh...

6 Riders or 7 Keshiks?

I know what I'd choose... in a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by Last Conformist
                              I'm not saying the Keshik is bad, merely that it does not compare with the Rider or Ansar (which, IMHO, with the Sipahi make up the three best UUs in the game).
                              Heh, lists of top UUs!

*smells heated debate*

But seriously, how can you leave out the berzerks?

Fond memories of my fur-clad (and probably rather smelly) vikings charging down at the prissy french musketeers....

Comment

Working...
                              X