What should we do? 1250 AD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What should we do? 1250 AD

This thread could have been called "Spiffor's ramblings - 1250 AD". Since I have little internet access here for the next days, I can't really take part in the discussions. But I could download the save, and write all my ideas offline, to post them in this thread.

Here's all what I suggest. I hope you too will have suggestions, to find a way out of the dire situation we are experiencing. thanks for the participation

1. Get saltpeter. Now.
    We can get saltpeter from Babylon for gems + 20 gpt. We shouldn’t hesitate IMHO.
    We are facing MIs (12 attack) and Tanks (16 attack). Our best chance of defending against them will be with musketmen fortified in a 12 pop New Asgard (9 def. total) or on a mountain (same). Besides, cannons are our best shot at weakening Persian tanks. With their 8 def, their tanks will be vulnerable to our cannons (8 att)
    We may even quickly build fortresses on mountains (we’d need 24 workers or 48 slaves to complete one in one turn), to have musketmen protect our gems with 11 def. Not too shabby, but much work for our workers and our slaves. And most of our workforce can only quickly go protect the Vadso and Polar Bear Club gem mines.
    With our current treasury, we can upgrade 13 pikemen to musketmen immediately, and upgrade more than one per turn after that. If we want to inflict as much losses as possible to the Persians, I think we should do it.

2. Get friendlier with other civs.
    Most Civs are at peace with us. I expect this not to last long. The Persians and Koreans can easily bribe other Civs into attacking us. The only way to prevent that is to make them more friendly toward us. I suggest we basically give luxuries and resources to them.

- The Americans would love having horses, and we have two extra. The Americans are hardly a threat to us, but their friendship can always help, as they won’t participate to the domino-effect against us (and themselves bribe somebody else, more dangerous, into attacking us)

- The Japanese would love gems. We have 5 extra (4 if we trade with Babylon for saltpeter, so I think we can spare it.

- The Egyptians would be interested in silks (1 extra). I don’t advise we do it, though, because we would lose our luxury if the forest tile near Larvik gets bombed, or if Larvik/Penguin’s Revenge gets captured.

Since the other Civs have already a trade embargo against us, or have everything we could offer already, we can only get friendlier with these 3 civs. I think the price is very small, and the benefits can be useful, even if not terrific.

3. Tweak workforce
    - In Bifrost, stop fishing NW-NW of town, and work on a mined desert instead. The town will make 10 shields per turn then. Not only will the berserker be produced next turn, but also the town will churn out berzies every 7 turns, and musketmen every 6 turns. The only drawback will be that the city won’t grow anymore, but we wouldn’t be able to sustain the extra pop anyway.
    - In Spiffor Burg, build walls instead of temple. 2 shields will be wasted, but maybe we can hold off the Persians a little bit more. Also, stop working the plains SW of town, and make these people taxmen instead.
    - In Larvik, stop work in the jungle NW-NW of town, in the grasslands NW, and in the sea E. Have these three people work as tax collectors (no drawback because of corruption, +3 treasury). Make Larvik build walls (no wasted shields)
    - In Spanish are Greedy, stop fishing S of town, and work the mined desert instead. The town will stop growing, but it’ll produce pikemen one turn faster, and musketmen 3 turns faster.
    - In BigFurryCity, next turn, stop working the irrigated horses, and work a mined grassland instead. BFC will make 5 shields instead of 4 this way.
    "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
    "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
    "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Thanks Spiffor
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

It's ok to make all the deals.
      I wonder if trading world maps really helps but in any case we should try to do it every few turns. Usually we get as much gold as our cities produce for one turn.

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy the Scot
        Thanks Spiffor
        Lets see how we can defend our land.
        Maybe we should put workers all the way around the cost?
        The viking age ended 1066 at Monday, September 25, 6pm

Comment

Hum, if Japan is ahead of us in any tech, sell the gems for a tech discount, paying mostly in GPT. Even if Japan later double crosses us, we'd still have the tech.

Also, if America is ahead of us in any tech, sell the horses for at tech discount as well.

I listed them in that order because Gems are probaly worth more to Japan than Horses are to America. If I'm wrong swap the order.

Also, those with Tech Embargos are most likely to declare war on us, so after the above deals, let's buy techs for GPT from those who have the tech embargos but aren't actually at war yet and aquire what techs we can now.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
          X