Flak Cannon & Mobile Sam Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flak Cannon & Mobile Sam Question

When flak cannons and moblie sams are placed on a city do they have to be fortified to defend against bombardment from bombers and fighters.

Or will the defend no matter if they are fortified or not.

When travelling with a group/army, same question will they defend no matter what the situation?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

No, they do not have to be fortified. Same with naval units with Anti-air values.

Comment

An odd thing with the things are that while my city governors want to build them all the time, the AI civ only very rarely build them.
      Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
      The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Argh!!! In the Civ fanatics forums they are saying they must be fortified.

Any way of testing this rather simply?

Comment

not really tested it directly, but i did notice i've never saw any action when they were not fortified!

But it does kinda make sense only to let them shoot when they are fortified - stuff like this takes time to 'set up'

Comment

I understand your "Argh!!!", Xanex.
            NO, I do not have "solid" proof that fortified is not required.

Comment

I believe I've seen them work when unfortified... and in the case of ships, I'm 90% certain I've seen it (in the Pacific WWII scenario IIRC). It shouldn't matter much though - the flaks and sams should be fortified anyways.

Comment

I just verified it with a debug setup. Flak, and assuming by extension also Mobile SAM, does not have to be fortified to fire on aircraft. I sent F-15's against unfortified Flak batteries by themselves on flat ground, and the fourth bombing run got fired upon.
                Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

, Solomwi!

Now, if the AI only would build some.
                  Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                  The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

No kidding. In my last (intercontinental) war with China, at the beginning they had 5 or 6 Flak batteries. I quickly took all the territory I wanted, which left them still with a good bit of homeland I had no interest in and also a good bit of territory on the other "horn" of the continent, which I decided I wanted Persia to have to themselves. So I undertook a massive bomberdment campaign, with little to no ground troop involvement, except a few MA armies running around the Persian Horn capturing workers and knocking off the occasional unit. I expected, after a few turns of 40+ bombing runs, the AI to pop out a few more AA defenders, but it never did happen, and those it had were useless against my Stealth Bombers and Bombers.
                    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Thanks for all your help fellas, much appreciated.

Special thanks to Solomwi for running the debug....

Great forums here, lots of good info.

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                      X