Endgame Moan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Endgame Moan

my biggest gripe with CIV3 is the vast quanity of units in the endgame, stacks & stacks of infantry, masses of bombers and waves of artiliary

this quanity of units really bogs down the gameplay, especialy on larger worlds and makes the endgame a real drag

one solution that has occured to me is to edit modern units so that building them causes the city to reduce in population

any thoughts?

Why not raise the cost of support after a certain level. Once you get to 100 or some base level, unit support cost doubles or what ever it takes to get the numbers in line.

This allows the AI to keep it extra support when the game is developing, but offsets it for the late stages. It is not the human that will have a drag on the game with its troops.

Comment

Good point Vmxa.

Comment

I've always wanted variable support costs. The nice toys should cost more to maintain than the grunts.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=)
        (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Play CtP2.

Comment

But it is not any fun.

Comment

Lots of fun in pushing 200 units a turn.
              Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
              CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
              One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                But it is not any fun.
                Why?

Originally posted by Maquiladora
                Lots of fun in pushing 200 units a turn.
                You forgot to add the battles: or you can't see them (not fun), or you have to watch them all the way. (not fun)

Comment

I could not bring myself to play either CTP or CTP2 after one or two games. They just did not grab me. What can I say, I did not hate or anything.

Comment

Well thats fine, its a preferance. If civ3 had stacked combat and public works id play it just as much as CtP2. I prefer to spend the majority of my time planning strategy, rather than waiting and clicking.
                    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                      But it is not any fun.
                      He didn't say he wants fun. He said he wants variable support costs. CtP2 can provide both features, "not fun" and "variable support costs".

Comment

'Lots of fun in pushing 200 units a turn.'

if this floats your boat then great, but having 90% of the playing time occupied by endgane grinding is like something one is sentenced to

were it not for the fact that the pre-endgame is marvelous i would uninstall CIV3

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Ralph
                          He didn't say he wants fun. He said he wants variable support costs. CtP2 can provide both features, "not fun" and "variable support costs".
                          ..whereas civ3 can only provide the 'not fun' feature
                          Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                          ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Argh, its a CTP invasion!

It is a problem with these sorts of games though. How exactly does CTP handle it, and does it have much effect on a players style?
                            I'm building a wagon! On some other part of the internets, obviously (but not that other site).

Comment

The ability to lock-stack units and resolve battles involving multiple units with one push of a button in CTP greatly reduces end game tedium because each locked stack (up to 12 units) acts as a single entity...

So if you have 120 single units (entities) in civ3, that can be reduced to 10 stacks (entities) in CTP.

The group movement button helps to some degree, but it does not help once you have to send 60+ units into battle, each one at a time or if you want to subdivide a large stack to send in several directions.

It is probably my main gripe with civ3 (OK, infinite rails is my main gripe, but I can mod rails out of the game)

CTP is set up with a maintenance cost based on shields, and this cost is a percentage of the total cost of a unit. So the more expensive the unit is to build, the higher the upkeep. (and this can be further adjusted via modding)
                              Last edited by hexagonian; April 8, 2004, 12:15.
                              Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                              ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

Working...
                              X