Will there ever be a MoM2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will there ever be a MoM2?

Well, Microprose was disbanded, or something, like a year and a half ago, yes, but Atari now owns the Master of Magic name, I think. Granted, Atari doesn't always do the best job with its licenses, but do you think there's any hope of a MoM2, ever?
    Yes, maybe even soon
    9.52%
    Eventually, maybe
    52.38%
    Not likely, but anything's possible
    28.57%
    Not a chance. Quit dreaming, Elok!
    9.52%
    1011 1100
    Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

I fear not. The game still has a fanatically loyal following after all these years, but its name recognition is a lot lower than, for example, Civilization. The game has an awful lot of interactions and would be complicated to program. I don't see it being a big moneymaker, which is the main criterion for games being funded and produced.

Comment

True, but modern programmers are quickly ruining old classic franchises quicker than new nostalgia-generators can be enshrined in the public psyche, e.g. Master of Orion 3, and arguably Civ3. They might have to do some real digging soon if they want to appeal to the those-were-the-days crowd.

Besides, MoM would in my opinion gain a great deal from certain simplifications, just to make it harder to play cheap tricks or exploit bugs and easier to get into. A lot of the races, for example, are superfluous, and the tactical combat screen doesn't add much to gameplay as it is.
      1011 1100

Comment

At this point, I doubt anyone will pick upthe ball far MOM2, which is kind of a shame.

On the brighter side, the spiritual successor is Probably Age Of Wonders: Shadow Magic. I intend to get this game soon.

Age Of Wonders has been described as MOMish since it first came out, but was kind of watered down. It wasn't until I read a "Tom vs. Bruce" game in a recent magazine that I realized just how MOM like Shadow Magic must be.

special abilities, and multiple selections of them if you like. one player camping on the passage to the other realm, frustrating the other until he cast a phase shift spell on a stack and started rampaging, causing a WTF!!?? reaction from the first guy.

Has anyone else played this?
        Any man can be a Father, but it takes someone special to be a BEAST

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
        ...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn

Comment

Father Beast - I spent some time playing the Age of Wonders II demo; I found a lot of things to like about it, but, in the end, it didn't grab me (lack of random map generator was one reason). AoW:SM does have a random map, but, the last I heard, the AIs would never build a settler unit. So it's still not MoM II, but it sounds like a really good game if you like playing scenarios. Age of Wonders Heaven has some pretty good forums; I lurked there for a while while trying to make up my mind on this game.

Comment

eventually, maybe.

I'll never give up hope.
            Pentagenesis for Civ III
            Pentagenesis for Civ IV in progress
            Pentagenesis Gallery

Comment

Hopefully.
              My Words Are Backed With Bad Attitude And VETERAN KNIGHTS!

Comment

I've played through most of Shadow Magic, and I would definately recommend it if you enjoy MoM. It doesn't have quite the same level of overall empire-building, but the tactical combat is very similar to MoM, and just as enjoyable.
                I make movies. Come check 'em out.

Comment

Quicksivler was thinking about doing Master of Magic 2 after Master of Orion 3 but, fortunetly, I think they've forgotten about it since that disaster.

I'd be happy with just a version of MoM that ran under windows... and maybe with higher resolution graphics.
                  Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

Originally posted by ZargonX
                    I've played through most of Shadow Magic, and I would definately recommend it if you enjoy MoM. It doesn't have quite the same level of overall empire-building, but the tactical combat is very similar to MoM, and just as enjoyable.
                    yeah, shadowmagic is deffinately good, and has a bit of the MoM feeling, but stil falls shrot in my opinion. Dominions 2 is another excellent game that shares the genre, but it takes a different aproach.
                    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I can still see it happening eventually...
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                      2004 Presidential Candidate
                      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Please, oh please let the powers that be produce a MOM2 ...

Oh please ...

And let them NOT include Kender (or halflings) ...
                        Thank god, there are no KENDER in Civ3.

Comment

Halflings rock, it's the gnoll and lizardmen that are basically superfluous.
                          1011 1100

Comment

Halflings rock, it's the gnoll and lizardmen that are basically superfluous.

You must be joking.

The lizzies were awesome !

Every unit they made was amphibious ! The Dragon Turtles were like amphibious panzers. Few, if any, "normal" armies could stand against them, and most summoned units fell pretty quickly too.

When I played them, I went one of two ways with my picks, either all Green books or I went for Zero books and combos like Myrran, Warlord, Alchemist, and some other traits.

The all green books allowed you to get the spell Gaia's Blessing right from the start. The pop growth of this spell combined with the lizzies naturally fast growth allowed you to out-grow everybody else. You would get the better green creatures faster and before long, your army of Dragon Turtles would be supported by Water Walking Great Wyrms; nothing stands in the way of that army for long.

The all traits allows you to rush for the SoM and still have advanced 'normal' troops. Granted, this strategy can backfire and does force you to start with a non-Myrran race on Myrror; but the fast growth allows you to clearly out-shine the actual myrran races.

Who cares if you couldn't develop your cities very far ? The game was usually over before most players could get that far ...

The lizzies were the BEST race to Blitz with.

Although, I do kind of agree with you about the uselessness of the gnolls. Dumb-@ss doggies should play games they might actually win. Like Chew-on-the-Kender.
                            Thank god, there are no KENDER in Civ3.

Comment

Sid meier said he would work on MOM 2 after Pirates.So work on MOM 2 could start 2005.Still there would be 2 or 3 years before it comes out.Hurry up and wait.

Comment

Working...
                              X