PBEM Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PBEM Discussions

Here's a couple of important PBEM threads that were never topped and get buried instantly by tracker threads:

Started by the dearly departed Dominae: Standard PBEM Ettiquette.

Donegal's What is an Exploit? thread.
    Last edited by Rommel2D; March 31, 2004, 03:47.
    Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

yeah good threads
    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
    I am of the Horde.

Comment

some interesting stuff there that i didnt know... so a huge advantage in pbem to playing last !!!
      GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71

Comment

can these be topped
        Gurka 17, People of the Valley
        I am of the Horde.

Comment

Question for you guys.

In a pbem game last week, the last player in the game utilized the GoTo command to make a spearman move two tiles. (You point your spear at a square two moves away, click the go to command, and the spear moves one tile during your turn and one tile after your turn -- but before the next player's move.)

This produces the strange result that a spearman can invade an opponents land for two tiles and end up, for example, on a mountain.

In this case, it let my opponent defend a square that contained my horse resource, making the Iroquois very unhappy indeed.

I whined immediately that this was an exploit and should not be allowed. Was I correct? So far, everybody seems to think I was correct except those playing the game with me.

Thanks
          Russ
          Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

Good idea to lift these into view. Maybe it would be enough to top this thread and let the links do the job?
            Illegitimi Non Carborundum

Comment

Actually - great idea. I was thinking of proposing such a thread. It would contain:

1. Etiquette and guideline rules for PBEM's
              2. The exploit list
              3. Instructions for dual installs for various game versions
              4. Links to relative strategy or civ3 general threads.

I also think we should de-top the existing thread which is trying to keep track of what games are undeway. This is sucha dynamic forum, that it is quickly outdated, and would be way to much hassle to maintain.
              Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war .... aw, forget that nonsense. Beer, please.

Comment

Originally posted by jshelr
                Question for you guys.

In a pbem game last week, the last player in the game utilized the GoTo command to make a spearman move two tiles. (You point your spear at a square two moves away, click the go to command, and the spear moves one tile during your turn and one tile after your turn -- but before the next player's move.)

This produces the strange result that a spearman can invade an opponents land for two tiles and end up, for example, on a mountain.

In this case, it let my opponent defend a square that contained my horse resource, making the Iroquois very unhappy indeed.

I whined immediately that this was an exploit and should not be allowed. Was I correct? So far, everybody seems to think I was correct except those playing the game with me.

Thanks
                Russ
                jshelr, I would definitely agree that it is an exploit of game mechanics. The farther back you are in turn order the more benefit you have from the goto option (as well as things like fortify-all and mass-upgrade).

When things like that have been discovered in democracy games they are generally banned (after a bit of whining by the team that used it ).

Comment

Originally posted by Beta
                  Actually - great idea. I was thinking of proposing such a thread. It would contain:

1. Etiquette and guideline rules for PBEM's
                  2. The exploit list
                  3. Instructions for dual installs for various game versions
                  4. Links to relative strategy or civ3 general threads.
                  I'd like to link in an exploit list and dual insall instructions (for those poor souls in such dire straits), but I think strategy is a whole different can of worms. Maybe we could dedicate a forum for it? ;-)
                  Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Working...
                  X