No announcement yet.

What to do next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

XVIII Century looks very empty if you check out Spanish Civ site. Some scenarious that focus on Europe under that age could be quite needed.

Michael Jezsenkas 7 years war is a bit dated and certainly not one of his best scenarios,

Maybe a scenario focusing on Prussia during the century?

Comment

Originally posted by fairline
      how about expanding on that with a map of the whole of S. and C. America and a traditional civ explore and build scenario structure including the Aztecs, Mayans etc?
      It looks like you need to go play JB's Conquest of Mexico... although that's mostly just Central America.

I have a file on my computer with a whole list of scenarios I'd like to make. Some with rather detailed ideas of how to use all sorts of Civ2 features. Few of them are really meant to be "serious" historical scenarios, though. I'd post all my ideas, but secretly I want to make all of them myself and I wouldn't want others to steal my ideas. Considering my current work rate, it would probably take me a few decades to make them all, but still...

Many of them are probably fun ideas, but wouldn't really work as scenarios... For instance, I'd love to make a War of the Worlds scenario (based on the book, so only situated in London), but the aliens were pretty much supreme and were overcome by bacteria or so. So I'm not sure if that could really be turned into a fun scenario to play. Maybe as the aliens, conquer as much as possible before you die. As the humans you could really only run away...

I'll second academia, though. I'd love to see an ID4-style global/US alien invasion scenario.
      Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Well, in WotW, there was an idle dreamer near the end of the book who talked on and on to the narrator about a grand scheme to live in the sewers with a select group of survivors, waiting for an opportunity to take over an alien craft so they could fight back. He just turned out to be a wannabe despot. Posit a situation where it wasn't so, and the bacteria were incompatible with the martians' systems.

After all, the humans did get some licks in before getting overwhelmed in the book, like the steamship Thunder Child, which blew up one of their Walkers while it was wading through the sea. It'd be an incredibly uphill battle the human player would have to win by sheer cunning. As I recall, the martians had to suck the life directly out of the humans to survive, so it might be smart to turn their more powerful units into settlers. If you wanted to simulate the more limited toll of microbes, stick the Martians with Despotism so they grow more slowly and inefficiently, while the humans had wide government options. If you stuck the Statue of Liberty in a size-zero city at the edge of the world, for example, would it still work?
        1011 1100
        Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

But I wouldn't imagine the Martians would grow at all, the scenario would be too small-scale for that. They'd only depend on the sites their pods landed. And they'd probably even only have a limited amount of units.

The humans wouldn't really be able to change government either, although maybe a change to "martial law" could be represented by a government switch.

Maybe the population could be represented by a different civ than the military. With massive amounts of scared civilians running around, blocking the way too, but all running away from the threat (with lots of MoveUnit events).

But then... I tend to imagine my scenarios as inventive graphical and technical wonders where the player ends up with little to do but watch as the scenario unfolds itself.
          Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Stefan, I've included your "Fire and Roses" and "The Lost Paradise" in my last SCS update, as you asked for. Sorry for the delay.
            "Son españoles... los que no pueden ser otra cosa" (Cánovas del Castillo)
            "España es un problema, Europa su solución" (Ortega y Gasset)
            The Spanish Civilization Site
            "Déjate llevar por la complejidad y cabalga sobre ella" - Niessuh, sabio cívico

Comment

Originally posted by fairline
              Some really excellent ideas for scenarios here! The history of the Incan empire sounds very interesting; how about expanding on that with a map of the whole of S. and C. America and a traditional civ explore and build scenario structure including the Aztecs, Mayans etc? Think Kull's Seeds of Greatness or End of the Bronze Age with a South American setting. Jaguar Warriors, pyramids, human sacrifice, city building - all topped off with a final 'alien invasion' in the form of the conquistadores.
              That's an excellent idea Fairline!
              "Peace cannot be kept by force.
              It can only be achieved by understanding"

Comment

It sounds too much like the alpha centauri plot though, and i didnt like the 'inevitable superforce arrival-rebirth' plot :|

hm once i had the very weird idea of making a scenario about Kafka's literature. But that was yesterday, i dont think that anymore!

some more ideas that (to the best of my knowledge) havent been done:

-the unification of France

-Balcan wars (1912-1913)

-Minoan supremacy era (very interesting!)

-Rise of Carthago (fantasy i guess)

-the christening of the balcan slavs (8th century)

-hypothetical "first sea voyages" scen (very interesting as well!)

i am thinking of working on some plot about the primitive phobias of medieval peasants, it should be about a village that is cut off from the vast empire due to the ever ongoing frontier wars, and the people there are quickly sucked into their fear of what might dwell the nearby forest

Comment

Originally posted by Mercatore Uno
                  But I wouldn't imagine the Martians would grow at all, the scenario would be too small-scale for that. They'd only depend on the sites their pods landed. And they'd probably even only have a limited amount of units.

The humans wouldn't really be able to change government either, although maybe a change to "martial law" could be represented by a government switch.

Maybe the population could be represented by a different civ than the military. With massive amounts of scared civilians running around, blocking the way too, but all running away from the threat (with lots of MoveUnit events).

But then... I tend to imagine my scenarios as inventive graphical and technical wonders where the player ends up with little to do but watch as the scenario unfolds itself.
                  Yeah, I was suggesting a regrouping of humanity in the wake of the devastation, a la ID4 but without the corniness and in the nineteenth century. I don't like restrained scenarios much, to be honest. Civ2 wasn't designed for restricted gameplay like the dross offered by the FW X-COM scenario. Even if research is just "reformation of society," as it might be in a WotW scen, it has its purpose.
                  1011 1100

Comment

Originally posted by Elok
                    Civ2 wasn't designed for restricted gameplay like the dross offered by the FW X-COM scenario.
                    And that was actually one of my favourites (of the FW scenarios)!
                    But your point is well-taken.

Comment

OK, I'm down to this now:

-Fall of the Roman Empire
                      -Alien Invasion (á la War of the Worlds- that might even push me toward finish reading the book, it's been lying there half-read for a year now; or like ID4)
                      -Other SciFi, like completely situated on a different planet
                      -Incan Empire/Pre-Colombian South America
                      -Historical/Fantasy hybrid

I picked out of those which were named most often and seem to find most appeal. Any further contents appreciated, of course.
                      Follow the masses!
                      30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Any chance you can do all of them Stefan?

Seriously though, War of the Worlds, The Fall of the Roman Empire and Pre-Columbian S. America are all fantastic ideas.
                        http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

I second War of the Worlds.
                          1011 1100

Comment

The war of the worlds would be cool!

I recall there was a C&C-type game of it a few years back...

It was all set on a Brit map - pretty cool!
                            http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.php?title=Home
                            http://totalfear.blogspot.com/

Comment

It could be very atmosphaeric if you have red brick walls and pavement terrains, and the aliens marching in the streets or compiling their cannon infront of the unsuspected crowd but as someone already said: in the book the aliens were supreme, only the viruses got them, so you would have to change the plot a lot if this will have a high gameplay value

good luck

Comment

There is a WoW scen somewhere on Civfanatics, but the humans had no chance.
                                Vote Democrat
                                Support Democracy

Comment

Working...
                                X