No announcement yet.

What to do next

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, 2 1/2 asks for cowork (I'm counting Heresson's comment as sort of coping with the fact that I'm not helping him* )

*BTW, Maciej, have you gotten my new contact info (it's in a thread a couple of pages back)? In case not, and in case anybody else is interested, it's intaphernesATyahooDOTcom

Now, onwards...

what happen to the project about wwI in africa??
    it looked interesting

It died with my hard drive crash in September.

varwnos: A cooperation on this scenario sounds interesting, but I must admit that I know absolutely nothing about Bulgarian history, and all that I could find out with my current sources are a few hard facts. Also, cooperation with others (examples: Mike Daumen, Mathias Köster) died after a while. I'm always ready to help, also intensively, but I can't take over such a dominant spot, sorry

Search for the source of the White Nile.

That sounds like a fascinating idea for an adventure scenario, but I hardly know anything about it.

First punic war

Another very interesting idea. I made an embryonic one many years ago (about the same time I started "Artaxerxes"), but it's gone as well. I'm not rejective about this one, as I do have a couple of good ideas for it. I'm not sure, though.

A personal proposal by me: the dawn of ETRUSCANS.

That is a very fascinating thing too. What I can think of there would be either an empire-building type from Etruscan perspective, or a "Conquest Of Mexico"-style scenario (the one by Jesús Balsinde) for the Romans.

I have no idea what's out there, but I'm guessing there are already plenty of scenarios on the Peleponnesian War?

An interesting one as well. It might even push me into reading Thukydides
    It would certainly be a challenge to create, because of the complexity of the subject.

Fall of the roman empire? I love Mark Laanen's scenario, but I'm sure you could create a great one.

A fall of Rome scenario... that was something which kept crawling into my mind... I'm not too sure, but I do have some very good ideas about it. This one is the most popular vote so far...

Manchu conquest of China
    Possibillity here to make a truly exotic scenario if one put down a lot of effort in unit graphics (or let someone else do it).

I would do the graphics, that's no problem. The big problem is, that I know very little about China, less the Manchu conquest. The only bits about Chinese history that I've read revolve about the Mongols and Koxinga.

Coowork with me on my scenario. If not I'd still like a few ideas on how to make set the atmosphere really indian.

I'm sceptical on cowork (see above), but I'd be delighted to help you there. Just send me a mail.

The Japanese empires road from feudal nation to industrialized nation

Interesting too, but I'm also not very fresh on this subject. Maybe a Samurai-orientated scenario, but it would be very hard to beat "Sengoku Jidai".

The scottish quest for freedom during 15-18th centuries

You're digging up my worst leaks of historical knowledge This would be a great scenario (I even have some idea outlines appearing in my head), but I'd have to do a lot of research on it as well.

Like in the area of Burma-Thailand.

That's absolute terra incognita to me The exotic touch would be great, though (after all, that's what made me do "Lost Paradise").

How about a scenario about the age of exploration? Itc ould go from 1450 - ????, and the main players would be Spain, France, England, and China.

Interesting, though many good scenarios exist which have exploited most of the good ideas already.

I'm gonna take some more suggestions if they come, and then I'll decide on a tendency.
    Follow the masses!
    30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Exotic scenarios ussually rule! It must be the fact that non-european history seems alien to us nomatter what, so imagination plays a bigger role there, although ofcourse everyone views a scen differently according to his own character. A good idea would be to first buy a good book about an era you are interested in making a scen about, have fun reading it, and then start making the scen i will probably do just that, although i am not very sure that i will start the Basileios II scen since its a bit too close to my empire of Thessalonike (not many people noticed i am sure that its title.gif was a painting of Basil II ). I think that i will try to make an adventure scenario, or a really primitive era one. There is a nice little story by Hermann Hesse about how the primitive people first left the forests, although its a bit bleak!
      However i may decide to portray some era of ancient greek history instead, although most are already done for civ2. A good idea with colonization-based scenarios is one that (i think) Heresson had come up with, giving 0 movement settler units only via events, in specific locations in the map. The etruscan scen idea is very close to a greek colonization of Italy plot Ofcourse i will have to make my very own units

Comment

OMG hi maciej! I am back in civ2

Everything good over there?

Comment

A good idea with colonization-based scenarios is one that (i think) Heresson had come up with, giving 0 movement settler units only via events, in specific locations in the map. The etruscan scen idea is very close to a greek colonization of Italy plot Ofcourse i will have to make my very own units
          Wow this idea is truly excellent. Could be used for many sorts of scenarios.

Comment

How about a WW2 scenario set in the middle east,from the German perspective?
            "Military training has three purposes: 1)To save ourselves from becoming subjects to others, 2)to win for our own city a possition of leadership, exercised for the benefit of others and 3)to exercise the rule of a master over those who deserve to be treated as slaves."-Aristotle, The Politics, Book VII

All those who want to die, follow me!
            Last words of Emperor Constantine XII Palaiologos, before charging the Turkish hordes, on the 29th of May 1453AD.

Comment

Follow the masses!
              30,000 lemmings can't be wrong!

Comment

Okay, you're fascinated by history, but don't know much about periods that haven't already been covered to death. I'd suggest alternative history. Maybe history AND fantasy. Y'know that scenario that posits a world where science was replaced by magic very early on? The idea had terrific potential, but it was basically just a palette swap of the regular game. Maybe we could see what a history fan's brain does with the idea, instead. What happens when the Mongols get Werewolf Summoning?

Or fix MoMJr so it resembles MoM itself. I've often idly considered doing that, but concluded that I was too obsessed with making my own worlds to follow an established conceit faithfully.
                1011 1100
                Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

How about a short and simple scenario. Maybe one set around an African ranch, fighting off fire ants, or something like the "Wealth of Nations"?

Comment

Near a good library? The White Nile by Alan Moorhead covers the quest for the source pretty well, and I'll bet Hardjoy knows a lot about it as well.

How about a remake of the Jules Verne scenario? Didn't someone do that already?

The race to the South Pole?
                    El Aurens v2 Beta!

Comment

The original jules verne scenario wasnt very good :| the one that had the microprose industrial cities i mean

Comment

It wasn't screwed up half as badly as some of the other stuff on FW. MoMJr., Iceplanet, and Midgard come to mind...
                        1011 1100

Comment

I think we still need a good civ2 "alien invasion" scenario. ID4, War of the Worlds style. something like that
                          South Atlantic Conflict v1.2 - Civ II Scenario
                          Iron Curtain v1.1 - Civ II Scenario

Comment

The fw scenarios in total sucked pretty much, waste of space :|

Comment

Some really excellent ideas for scenarios here! The history of the Incan empire sounds very interesting; how about expanding on that with a map of the whole of S. and C. America and a traditional civ explore and build scenario structure including the Aztecs, Mayans etc? Think Kull's Seeds of Greatness or End of the Bronze Age with a South American setting. Jaguar Warriors, pyramids, human sacrifice, city building - all topped off with a final 'alien invasion' in the form of the conquistadores.
                              http://sleague.apolyton.net/index.ph...ory:Civ2_Units

Comment

Originally posted by varwnos
                                The fw scenarios in total sucked pretty much, waste of space :|
                                They didn't suck, they were just for the most part poorly implemented. Midgard, for example, had the idea of different unit sets for each civ, which had huge potential. They screwed up that potential by making the units for each civ very similar anyway, requiring similar advances so that each player got them in the exact same amount of time and having sufficiently similar stats and purposes that it didn't matter. Also, Ellida and Skidbladnir, available to all, made all those unique unit types basically worthless anyway, only halfway through the game. Little stuff like that is what ruined a lot of the FW scenarios.
                                1011 1100

Comment

Working...
                                X