NHL Thread: String Bertuzzi Up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NHL Thread: String Bertuzzi Up

I was going to make this a Deadline Day Trade discussion thread, but I just saw the clip of Todd Bertuzzi suckerpunching Steve Moore and sending him out on a stretcher...

Despicable.

Bert should be suspended for the rest of the season & playoffs. At least. That's just inexcusable.

(Now, if you want to talk trades, I won't object. )

To get you started:

Fresh Moves Tonight

Colorado acquires F Matthew Barnaby from NYR in exchange for prospect Dave Liffiton and a draft pick.

[Excellent move by the Avs. They've been adding grit lately, and I think that's wise.]

Calgary acquires F Marcus Nilson from Florida in exchange for 2004 2nd round draft pick.

[I hate to admit it, but I see no negatives coming from this. Solid move by Sutter.]

Dallas acquires F Valeri Bure from Florida in exchange for prospect Drew Bagnall and a draft pick.

[I doubt Bure'll make much of a difference.]

++++++++++++++++++++++

ALSO: Tomorrow night, 6:30 MT. Battle of Alberta. Edmonton at Calgary. Hugely important game for the Oilers. Nedved vs. Simon. Oh, it will be sweet.
    "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Bad blood boils over

Vancouver fans should brace themselves for a few games without forward Todd Bertuzzi.

VANCOUVER (CP) -- Colorado Avalanche forward Steve Moore was taken from the ice on a stretcher after being pummelled to the ice from behind by the Vancouver Canucks' Todd Bertuzzi during the third period of an NHL game Monday night. | Trade: Avs add Barnaby to mix

Bertuzzi grabbed the back of Moore's sweater and delivered a round-house swing with his gloved right hand that struck Moore's head. Moore fell head first to the ice under the weight of Bertuzzi, who came down on top of him at the 8:41 mark. Colorado was leading 8-2 at the time.

A pool of blood formed around Moore's head as he lay motionless on the ice. A stretcher was wheeled out and after a delay of nearly 10 minutes the 25-year-old native of Windsor, Ont., was taken off for medical attention.

Colorado coach Tony Granato, screaming at Vancouver coach Marc Crawford, had to be restrained at his team's bench.

Bad blood between the two teams had been simmering since Moore's hit on Vancouver captain Markus Naslund during a game Feb. 16 in Denver. That resulted in Naslund suffering a concussion that cost him three games.

Moore wasn't penalized for the hit and the league took no action. That was of little solace at the time to Crawford, who called Moore's hit ``a cheap shot by a young kid on a captain, the leading scorer in the league.''

Vancouver entered the game Monday night one point behind Colorado atop the NHL's Northwest Division. There were several fights in the game before Bertuzzi attacked Moore. It was the last regular-season meeting between the teams.
    "I wrote a song about dental floss but did anyone's teeth get cleaner?" -Frank Zappa
    "A thing moderately good is not so good as it ought to be. Moderation in temper is always a virtue, but moderation in principle is always a vice."- Thomas Paine
    "I'll let you be in my dream if I can be in yours." -Bob Dylan

Comment

Christ, how bad does Vancouver suck if Colorado beats them 9-2?

Calgary just pummeled Colorado 7-1 yesterday.
      "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
      Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

no team from canada is winning this year - its simple, the best nhl teams are in america.
        "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

If you had developed that one a bit more, it may have worked.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Re: NHL Thread: String Bertuzzi Up

Originally posted by cinch
            Colorado acquires F Matthew Barnaby from NYR in exchange for prospect Dave Liffiton and a draft pick.

[Excellent move by the Avs. They've been adding grit lately, and I think that's wise.]
            Yeah, cause Worrell is French-Canadian so that must mean he's a sucky player.

Things are looking bad for the Canucks when Brad May does all the scoring.

Imagine what will happen if the Canucks and the Avs meet in the playoffs.
            Golfing since 67

Comment

Yeah, and the hit on Naslund was clean.

9-2?

What the ****!
              Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
              "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."
              2015 APOLYTON FANTASY FOOTBALL CHAMPION!

Comment

Bertuzzi went too far and merits a suspension.

Otherwise a spirited game reminiscent of old time hockey. I can hear the ghost of Eddie Shore expressing quiet satisfaction with this week's work, whilst that ****er Bettman ****s himself.
                Only feebs vote.

Comment

What do they predict when they don't punish the goon hit on Naslund, the leading scorer at the time he was hit, and then do not let the players take their own justice in the game before?
                  Scouse Git (2) La Fayette Adam Smith Solomwi and Loinburger will not be forgotten.
                  "Remember the night we broke the windows in this old house? This is what I wished for..."

Comment

I don't think that the hit on Naslund was premeditated - the guy saw the opportunity for a hit and took it.

Bertuzzi knocked this guy out from behind and then smashed his head into the ice. That sort of thing can't be tolerated.

The rest of it was good old boys fun. This has been a great week in the NHL - it's almost as if everyone spent last Saturday watching Slap Shot.

I'm all for more fighting. This is a man's game and there is no need to ponce it up to suit ****ers like Bettman.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

I agree that Bert ought to be suspended, but I didn't like what the league did in the 5-5 tie. Let the players rip, and get some of the frusteration out of their system.

Comment

Edmonton lost Salo and a sixth round draft pick for Tom Gilbert, a defenseman, to Colorado. Gilbert is playing NCAA Hockey right now...

Comment

Bertuzzi should be suspended... sucker-punching someone, then jumping on them, causing their head to slam on the ice, is inexcusable. Bertuzzi is a *****.
                          To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

I would suggest 12 games each for Bertuzzi AND CRAWFORD.

Whether Crawford told his players to headhunt or not, we will never know. But Crawford's reaction and statements made this situation what it was. If he was the voice of reason, like a coach should be, this simply does not happen.

The hit on Naslund was entirely within the rules. He was lining Naslund up as Markus turned into the centre of the ice. Naslunds head was low, whats the kid supposed to do? Get out of his way? NHL players simply can't do that, or they are out of the league.

Really no different a hit than Scott Stevens has put on many times, including the KO on Lindros.
                            Best MMORPG on the net: www.cyberdunk.com?ref=310845

An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. -Gandhi

Comment

The hit on Naslund was clean... Markus cut into center ice with his head down and Moore crunched him.
                              To us, it is the BEAST.

Comment

Working...
                              X