Hp > 12

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hp > 12

Is it impossible to have an HP over 12, or is this just the game editor being restrictive? I really need more of a range of HP.
    Calling all Designers, the SL CivGroup is open for business!

I believe if you edit via the rules.txt instead of the in-game editors it's possible. But why do you need HP > 12? It'll take ages for the outcome of battles to be resolved.
    STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

How many separate "ranks" of units do you have? E.G., Horsemen, Chariot, Elephant, Knight, Dragoon, Cavalry, Armor=7 ranks, and those are spread over a 2 HP difference. If you want to have an overwhelming advantage between different "generations" of unit, or something like that, 1 HP more or less between different-strength units coupled with other stat gains should do the trick. So unless you plan to have thirteen progressive advancements of the same unit type or something--and that's a LOT--you probably don't need 13 HP.
      1011 1100
      Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Sorry, I didn't think HP was that important. I am looking at the difference between torpedo boats, and a Kirov or Nimitz class Ship.

Comment

HP is important in conjunction with the other stats; if you want a unit to be superior, ADM and firepower are probably just as important. I can't think of an example where you would need a really big HP disparity except maybe if you wanted some sort of pathetically weak but durable unit that can beat off attackers but gets significantly worn down in the process. Like an armored transport or something. For the purposes of game mechanics a little HP difference goes a long way. I don't know how tough a Kirov was compared to a torpedo boat, but look at the difference between a musketeer and an archer in Vanilla civ.
          1011 1100

Comment

Kirovs are missile-launching battlecruisers. The last word in surface capital ships.
            Visit First Cultural Industries
            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Chainging HP makes a big difference, though changing firepower makes an even bigger one. a unit with HP 4 and FP 2 withXA/XD will generally, if not always beat a unit with HP 3 and FP 1 and XA/XD as well.

Though really, each jump in HP equal 10 more HP, so the difference between 2 and 6 is drastic. I can hardly see a reaosn to go above 12.
              If you don't like reality, change it! me
              "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
              "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
              "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

thank god I heard that, the Kirov and Iowa classes have firepower in the 70s

Comment

Will all the talk of 'hitpoints that go past 12' this thread really reminds me of the classic movie This is Spinal Tap and the amplifier that goes to 11
                  'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
                  - Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon

Comment

HP 12 is the maximum...
                    Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Originally posted by GoPostal
                      thank god I heard that, the Kirov and Iowa classes have firepower in the 70s
                      I don't think you can go that high in FP, do you mean Attack power?

A unit with an attack of say 20 and an FP of 4 would utterly obliterate a unit of defense 10 and Hp 2 for example. It would not even be funny.
                      If you don't like reality, change it! me
                      "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                      "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                      "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

There was a scenario that came with FW called USA 2010. If memory serves me right that had a few units in it with HP > 12...

It might be worth checking out.

Comment

I only played 5 turns of USA 2010, then I gave it up for 2194Days. But I don't want such high HP or firepower now that my ignorance has been revealed. Thanks.

Comment

No need to be quite so hard on yourself. And I ignored 2010 entirely, after realizing how wonky the combat mechanics were, yeah. That, and the atmosphere was about as exciting as an old Flash Gordon episode. Which goes to show you how much the big picture matters.
                            1011 1100

Comment

For a scenario that qualified as "Best of the Net" when Fantastic Worlds was brought out, USA 2010 doesn't seem to be that popular.

I agree though. Combat was absolutely crazy in that scenario.

Comment

Working...
                              X