Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What future technologies do we want to see in civ4?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What future technologies do we want to see in civ4?

Well, it's obvious from the end-time threads that most people are leaning towards a time of about 20 to 30 years after the game is released, and only a few are going for a further date. Almost everything is for that bloody spaceship! I think it's important to have more useful, non-spaceship sciences in the modern age because the time it takes to build research labs and manufacturing plants in every city by that time is the same amount of time needed to end the game, and often people end the tech tree far too early in the game. In short, the modern age doesn't offer much change right now.

Taking into acount that 20 year time so we don't have to extrapolate a few centuries worth of tech, what non-spaceship techs could civ4 have and what would they offer? My thoughts on the near future and present:

The internet tech: prerequisites are Miniturization and Syntheitic fibers. It would allow you to build a Server in any city with a Library and that would increase gold revenue and science. A Research Lab can only then be build in a city with a Server. It could also produce a Wonder with the advance of the Superconducter: The Mainframe which would put a serever in every city on the continent.

The gps tech: prerequisites are Satellites, Synthetic fibers and Internet. The gps (and other personal cadgets soldiers have nowadays like infragoggles, body armour and whatever) has greatly increased the potential of foot units to quordinate in battle, giving an upgraded unit of marines and paratroopers. Or even better a totally new unti to replace marines and paratroopers: the SAS, or Navy Seal, which is a stronger paratrooper/marine combo? This could also be a tech which gives the small wonder of a mobile-phone network, increasing gold revenue in all cities by a percentage?

The Hydrogen-fuel cell tech: Replacing petrol cars with cars run on hydrogen. Prerequisites are robotics and ecology. Gives the possibility of a small wonder, The Hydrogen plant, which can only be consrtucted in a city with some form of Powerplant (solar, hydroelectric or nuclear). Cuts the emmision of pollution from all cities (kind of like the Mass Transit only more so, because lets face it not everybody takes the metro).

The Cloning tech: Uh oh! this is a contriversial one that the fascists and commies are gonna abuse! Prerequisite: genetics (duh) and synthetic fibers. Since this is the near future there isn't gonna be any of that clone-army crap which would need accelerated growth vats and whatnot. This is cloning as we know it today. A building called the cloneing center, which can only be built in a city with a research lab. This cloneing center would increase food reasources of the city (genetically modified foods and cattle cloning). It could also give a Wonder which republics and democracies will not be able to build: the human bla bla bla, which would replace that longetivity vaccine wonder. Lets face it the democracies don't need that leg up, but commies and fascists do!

Any other ideas guys?

It will be hard to make significant changes to the tech tree and still be accepted by most fans.

Anyway I prefer to find out when I open the box.

Comment

I like the idea of replacing the Longevity Vaccine. That one has always seemed a little farther away than 2050.

I have no qulams with your list, but cannot really think of anything myself. I have a hard enough time keeping up with current tech!

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
        It will be hard to make significant changes to the tech tree and still be accepted by most fans.

Anyway I prefer to find out when I open the box.
        Every version of civ, and its clones, has made significant changes to the tech tree.

All I want is for teh tech tree to be boolean, and structured in such a way that it isnt actually possible to "max out" the tech tree.
        The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
        And quite unaccustomed to fear,
        But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
        Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

I like your tech ideas for the most part, although I'm not sure if I like all of your proposed effects... I do like the idea of having 'The Internet' as a tech instead of the way it is now (as a wonder).

One tech that needs to be brought back is the 'Fusion Power' tech from Civs 1 & 2.
          "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

You know, we've been 30 years away from fusion power for the last 30 years now. I think "future tech" should be renamed "fusion power".
            The sons of the prophet were valiant and bold,
            And quite unaccustomed to fear,
            But the bravest of all is the one that I'm told,
            Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir

Comment

Well, fusion power is definately something I want in there. I can't beleive I forgot it. Even if we have been waiting 30 years for it, if you can have a spaceship to alpha centauri then you can have a fusion reactor along with fusion bombs and fusion mobile phones... (wait, what did I say? )

what do you mean lazjar with boolean?

Comment

I really hope they ditch 'integrated defense'. What a terrible excuse for a final tech. Bring back fusion power!

Comment

without intergrated defence how do we stop nukes?

Comment

Originally posted by aahz_capone
                    Well, fusion power is definately something I want in there. I can't beleive I forgot it. Even if we have been waiting 30 years for it, if you can have a spaceship to alpha centauri then you can have a fusion reactor along with fusion bombs and fusion mobile phones... (wait, what did I say? )

what do you mean lazjar with boolean?
                    Boolean refers to the and/or/not type logic used by search engines. This would allow for a far less linear tech tree in civ.

jon.
                    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

without intergrated defence how do we stop nukes?
                      You don't.
                      ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

hey, I'm all for boolean (now that I am no longer an ignorant fart)!

Not stopping nukes? um....
                        well, seeing as the US is now working on an sdi thingy I don't see it as unrealistic, but maybe it should be a wonder. And anyways, nukes should be expanded to include lowyeald tactical warheads for battlefield use.

How this for a new modern technology:

The optic fiber tech. prerequisites is synthetic fiber. what could we do with this?

Comment

I think that the permitted techs should be the ones that we can say have a fairly chance to get out and running. Now, which ones would that be? I guess we'd need to know what are the techs researched out there.
                          Go GalCiv, go! Go Society, go!

Comment

Not stopping nukes? um....
                            well, seeing as the US is now working on an sdi thingy I don't see it as unrealistic, but maybe it should be a wonder.
                            Nevermind that there's no indication that the US system will actually work (and every indication that it won't), and plenty of signs that it will just lead to an arms race that will make it quickly obsolete (if something that doesn't work in the first place can be made obsolete...).

jon.

Comment

It'd never work against a determined superpower; they'd just use countermeasures, like MIRVs. It's supposed to defend against 'rogue states'; which don't exist in civ.

Comment

Working...
                              X