Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Better AI Negotiations?

or am I just dreaming?

Recently, I was presented a "renegiated deal" (I have 'always renegotiate deals" turned on') by Queen Elizabeth. I had been supplying saltpeter to the Brits for quite some time. In the first dialog box, England offers 35/gpt for Saltpeter. Being the saavy negotiater I am, and knowing that my Foreign Secretary must have inside information on all my opponents (how does he know what deal they will accept and what deal they won't???) I rejected the offer and went into the screen to pick different terms.

I tried 40/gpt for saltpeter. Foreign secretary says, no way.
    I tried 36/gpt for saltpeter. Again, my guy says they won't take it.
    I settle for 35/gpt for saltpeter. WHAT?!?!? They won't take that now? Since when?

I tried 30/gpt...
    then 20/gpt...
    5/gpt????...no?
    1/gpt??? You Brits won't even take that now????

What could possibly have changed from the initial offer, made by Lizzie herself, to my counteroffers? I mean, if this is intended, that's great. I remember reading in another thread that someone likened deal making with the AI as "negotiating with your Foreign Secretary". I can't remember "missing the golden opportunity" within one encouter. This is how it should be - not a tedious exercise to determine what the AI will accept to the last gold piece.

Can anyone shed some light on this?
    Haven't been here for ages....

Happened to me before, many times. I think the reason is, that when you cancelled the deal, Liz rearranged her sliders. Now she can't afford the Saltpeter anymore. May be even she ran a deficit before. They will never accept gpt deals while running a deficit.

Comment

It also could be that, since you are no longer trading, you have a different AI attitude relation number, and they might be less willing to trade with you overall.

Comment

This has happened to me in the past, and I think SR is right that they can no longer afford the deal.

Because this has happened to me repeatedly, unless I know they're flush in cash, I now tend to just keep the deal as is. Basically, it becomes a gamble: take the deal as it current exists ("bird in the hand") or renegotiate and risk getting nothing ("two in the bush").

It just confirms, however, that the Foreign Minister is buffoon who can not be trusted. My advice is to kill him and rely on your Military Advisor
        They don't get no stranger.
        Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
        "We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush

Comment

They are broke, they will trade even with a bad attitude if they want the item and can afford it.

My question is why sell them Saltpetter?

Comment

Maybe she is an ally? maybe she is a convinient power to keep around to balance out her neighbors while not big enough to ever be a real threat?
            If you don't like reality, change it! me
            "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
            "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
            "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Maybe, but I would not count on anyone that weak. I would rather not give anyone SP, unless we are already making tanks.
              Then I don't mind making some money and a friend.

Anyway of course there are times that it could make sense, just not very many of them.

Comment

Tall Stranger: Good Idea. I've issued firing squad orders...

Lizzie is a client state, since I beat her kingdom down previously. I'm already fielding cavalry and infantry...and I have several sources of saltpeter. Additionally, I'm fighting a proxy war against the Ottomans...and England is taking the fight to the enemy. I can use the cash...
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Working...
                X