Why is Grant on the $50 bill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Emperor Fabulous
    They have bills above $20? Why haven't I ever seen them?!
    Because you are poor.

[Nelson laugh] HA-HA [/Nelson laugh]
    Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Well you know what they say

"Money can't buy me love"

...I hate the Beatles
      "I predict your ignore will rival Ben's" - Ecofarm
      ^ The Poly equivalent of:
      "I hope you can see this 'cause I'm [flipping you off] as hard as I can" - Ignignokt the Mooninite

Comment

Didnt some people want to get Reagen on the dime not that long ago?

Still, it'd be more appropriate to have him on a standard-issue IOU.
        Visit First Cultural Industries
        There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
        Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
          I remember reading about Grant's Civil War accomplishments. It appears he was drunk at several key battles but never the less one them because he kept ordering his troops to attack when a sobber general would have retreated to regroup.
          That's not true. If you want the truth I recommend reading:

Grant As Military Commander written by James Marshall Cornwall
          For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
            REAGAN!!!
            The Reagan

Comment

You resurrected this thread for that?
              ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I've been browsing the really old parts of the OTF

Comment

Grant sucked. He waged an illegal war and slaughtered innocents. He had no moral character. He should have been shot.
                  "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Talking about 'blast from the past'

urgh.NSFW

Comment

Originally posted by PLATO
                      He waged an illegal war

Anyone else up for one of those old Civil War retreads, or should we let sleeping dogs lie?
                      "My nation is the world, and my religion is to do good." --Thomas Paine
                      "The subject of onanism is inexhaustable." --Sigmund Freud

Comment

Originally posted by Guynemer

Anyone else up for one of those old Civil War retreads, or should we let sleeping dogs lie?
                        Well, it was actually a troll to get the anti-Bushies out of bed and posting (Okay...I admit it...it was a troll), but...

If you want to discuss the war of northern Aggression then I guess I'm game!
                        "I am sick and tired of people who say that if you debate and you disagree with this administration somehow you're not patriotic. We should stand up and say we are Americans and we have a right to debate and disagree with any administration." - Hillary Clinton, 2003

Comment

Re: Why is Grant on the $50 bill?

Originally posted by Dissident
                          He was a terrible president right? Or is it because of his military accomplishments? But from what I've heard, he really wasn't that great of a general. And of course being a president is not required to be on money- as Franklin is on a bill.

I just hate seeing his face on the bill, that's all

Perhaps we should change it to something else.

recommendations?

grammar Nazi mode: "change it to somebody else -- not something else"

Also, IMO, Grant was one of the best generals during the Civil War.
                          A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Also, ignorant people overplay Grant's alchoholism to the extent that one would think he was the first and only general to ever to have had a liking for alchohol while on the job.
                            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Giancarlo
                              Grant was one of the greatest generals ever to exist. He did make a few tactical errors but it was cunning strategy that caused Lee's defeat. But never was he a great president.
                              You have made ignorant statements here. You should try a concept called research.

Comment

Grant is a symbol of victory to Yankees. Given that the War of Northern Agression was the most traumatic event the country has ever been through it is only natural that he would be recognized, much in the same way that Martin Luther King is recongnized far beyond his personal worth as a symbol of the civil rights movement.

Comment

Working...
                                X