PROJECT: MP Playtest game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PROJECT: MP Playtest game

Is it too soon to start one? I would be willing and available to participate.

weekends before 5pm cst (gmt -6:00)
    other days variable, but still possible

No harm in doing a test. What time can you start at drulius? I can play until 7pm GMT (1pm CST) weekend coming up, starting any time before that. Depending on what time youre willing to get up we could play some sessions then. Other days possible, around same times.
    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

I would be willing to get up around 8am Saturday. That would give us 4 or 5 hours to play right? We can discuss Sunday after we are already playing tomorrow.

You will have to send me a good servers dat file as I've never played CTP2 MP before.

you can email me at drulius1@cox.net

(I already get over 100 spams a day at that address so I'm not too worried about more, but if you substitute bumblebeaver for drulius1 at the same domain, your message definitely won't get filtered out. I'll see it even if it gets filtered, but you know (I hope) what I am trying to say)

Comment

Okay ill be in nlink lobby at 2pm and 3pm (if you overlay) GMT, thats 8am and 9am CST. I will install a fresh CtP2 AND 1.11 Official Patch, then install the TWO sourcecode playtest zips in order of release, just so we're sure we've got the same thing...

Attached is a working servers.dat file.

This same message has been sent by email.
        Attached Files
        Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)

Comment

edit

ok it's almost 8am. I've been "waiting for servers" and not connecting to anything. The severs.dat file goes in the same dir as the exe right?
          Last edited by drulius; February 14, 2004, 10:23.

Comment

Yeah it does, try replacing it again. The first time you go to the servers it should create its own faulty dat file, then replace that one.

Comment

I'll almost certainly need some MP playtesters for the limitation that I'm currently removing... although its a very good idea to get a baseline of what works and what doesn't, now, to determine what new problems arise, if any.

Comment

No problem Mr Baggins........... assuming we can actually get playing

Stupid question time, did you unzip it to the right location and definately overwrite the old servers.dat? If its only "waiting for servers" its most likely the dat file.

Heres the one im using now, im pretty sure its the same dat file ive attached but its got less compression on it now.

edit: well i just downloaded and used the first servers.dat file and thats fine, so its something on your end. You say you didnt play CtP2 MP before, did you manage to even enter the lobby list before?
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Maquiladora; February 14, 2004, 10:48.

Comment

Yes, I think.

I unzipped it where I downloaded it. Then I dragged it into the CTP2 folder, but I couldn't find a servers.dat file so I pasted it in the same dir as the exe. Then I tried to start my first MP game.

After that didn't work I removed the dat, and tried another game, which is when the "broken" dat file showed up which I then overwrote with the good one you sent.

Examining the files (your original, and that same one AFTER ctp2 has tried to use it) it seems like ctp2 removes some 'X' characters from the readable part a line or two before the names of the servers. There's also a bootserv.txt file that lists only the bad activision servers in text form.

Comment

I dunno then.

What about firewalls, anti-virus software etc? OS?

Did you install CtP2 in the same order as i did?

Comment

since I am trying to install the game on another pc that runs win 98, I took the game cd out of this machine. But I just realized I've still been starting and restarting the game on this machine WITHOUT needing to put the game cd in the drive....

I have a Dlink router with a firewall, but I made this pc a DMZ machine. I'm running win XP here and a mcafee firewall but it's now been disabled (and I told it before disabling it to allow all traffic every time it has warned me about ctp2 trying to access the internet.)

Comment

Well you can start the game without the cd (it wont play the intro) but you cant start "a" game without the cd, not if you have the new sourcecode ctp2.exe.

edit:

I have a Dlink router with a firewall, but I made this pc a DMZ machine. I'm running win XP here and a mcafee firewall but it's now been disabled (and I told it before disabling it to allow all traffic every time it has warned me about ctp2 trying to access the internet.)
                        Something here is definately the bad news. lol

Comment

OK,

I after I killed the Symantec virus detector that I thought was already off...

I found servers, but got stuck trying to enter the nl lobby, actually it was when trying to leave the lobby after not being able to join the lobby. It got stuck while "leaving the lobby".

I've tried both servers and it gets stuck at the lobby, sometimes going in it gets stuck "joining lobby" and sometimes a message "cannot enter lobby" and it dumps you on the profile screen. If you try to go back with next, you either go straight into a dark lobby or it appears good at first but right away a message pops up "you lost your connection" and half the lobby buttons go dark. The ones that "work" (like create game) just take you to the next (password select) screen but no further. And, when you try to exit by using "back" you just stay in the "lobby" the non responsive CTP2 must be exited with task manager.
                          Last edited by drulius; February 14, 2004, 11:55.

Comment

Well thats progress. Theres still something connection related stopping you clearly.

Comment

I've tried both servers and it gets stuck at the lobby, sometimes going in "cannot enter lobby" and it dumps you on the profile screen. If you try to go back with next, you either go straight into a dark lobby or it appears good at first but right away a message pops up "you lost your connection" and half the lobby buttons go dark. The ones that "work" (like create game) just take you to the next (password select) screen but no further. And, when you try to exit by using "back" you just stay in the "lobby" the non responsive CTP2 must be exited with task manager.
                              I wouldnt bother with the igateway server, no one can enter it and those problems with "you lost your connection" is common with that server.

If you get to the password select screen cant you press "ok" and it takes you on to the game setup?

Comment

Working...
                              X