Bush poll numbers plummeting; Kerry beats Bush 53-42

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bush poll numbers plummeting; Kerry beats Bush 53-42

Now not only do people disapprove of Bush on domestic issues, but on foreign policy issues as well.

Most Americans believe President Bush either lied or deliberately exaggerated evidence that Iraq possessed weapons of mass destruction in order to justify war, according to a new Washington Post-ABC News poll.

Barely half -- 52 percent -- now believe Bush is "honest and trustworthy," down seven points since late October and his worst showing since the question was first asked in March 1999. At his best, in the summer of 2002, Bush was viewed as honest by 71 percent. The survey found that while nearly seven in 10 think Bush "honestly believed" Iraq had weapons of mass destruction, 54 percent thought Bush exaggerated or lied about pre-war intelligence.

Fifty percent of Americans approve of the job he is doing, the lowest level of his presidency in the Post-ABC poll and down 8 percentage points from January. The survey found that, for the first time since the war ended, fewer than half of Americans -- 48 percent -- believe the war was worth fighting, down 8 points from last month. Fifty percent said the war was not worth it.

In a head-to-head matchup, Kerry beat Bush, 52 percent to 43 percent, among registered voters polled by the Post.

In a sign that Bush has been set back by recent controversies over Iraqi weapons, his National Guard record and the federal budget, the number of Americans viewing him as a "strong leader" has slipped to 61 percent, down 6 points from December and the lowest level since the 2001 terrorist attacks.

Bush's rating on handling the economy stood at 44 percent, down 7 percentage points, with nearly half of the public saying they are worse off now than they were three years ago when Bush became president. Six in 10 disapprove of the job Bush is doing creating jobs. On education, 47 percent said they approve of the job Bush is doing, down 8 points from January. And his handling of health care also has fallen.

But the president's declining ratings related to Iraq were most striking. Approval of his handling of the situation there has fallen to 47 percent, down eight points in the past three weeks. About half of Americans -- 51 percent -- said they would prefer a report evaluating the accuracy and use of pre-war intelligence before the election, while 35 percent favor what Bush has ordered: a broader study of the overall accuracy of U.S. intelligence gathering operations that reports its findings after the election.

Three in four Democrats said Bush either lied or exaggerated about what was known about Iraqi's weapons while an equally large majority of Republicans said the president did neither. Slightly more than half of all independents believed Bush had mislead the public about Iraqi's weapons cache.
    I realize that some of this is due to the focus on the Democratic primaries, but his ratings are really falling even more than I thought they would.

Everybody knows these polls are not accurate.... I will wait for the election. Not some poll with an inadequate sampling. And where was this poll done exactly? Questions never answered.

And Reagan had what.. a 37% approval rating in 1983? Who won the election?

Kerry is too liberal for the US.
    For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

I hope this trand will continue unabated.
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

The election is ten months away. These numbers are meaningless. Bin Laden could be captured in October.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
          The election is ten months away. These numbers are meaningless.
          See even the commie agrees with me.... in that regard.

For there is [another] kind of violence, slower but just as deadly, destructive as the shot or the bomb in the night. This is the violence of institutions -- indifference, inaction, and decay. This is the violence that afflicts the poor, that poisons relations between men because their skin has different colors. - Bobby Kennedy (Mindless Menance of Violence)

Comment

bush $170 million will definitly push his numbers up at least 5 points.
            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

bush is also against gay marriage.
              "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
                bush is also against gay marriage.
                Yup. I can't agree with the man in everything. But I agree with him overall. So I will probably end up voting for him.

Comment

Anyone who spends their days tracking polls this early should be given a straight jacket and taken to the nearest hospital.
                  Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                    Yup. I can't agree with the man in everything. But I agree with him overall. So I will probably end up voting for him.
                    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Nice sig Oncle Boris btw
                      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Fez
                        Not some poll with an inadequate sampling. And where was this poll done exactly? Questions never answered.
                        "A total of 1,003 randomly selected adults were interviewed Feb 10 to 11. The margin of sampling error for the overall results is plus or minus 3 percentage points. "

Comment

Barely half -- 52 percent -- now believe Bush is "honest and trustworthy,"
                          50% of Americans have an 'under average' intelligence. Which means only 4% of the intelligent ones are voting for Bush. AFAIK this is within the uncertainty of a poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                            Nice sig Oncle Boris btw

Comment

Wake me up in October then we can talk polls.
                              "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

Working...
                              X